Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai: Global Powerboat Racing Series from March 3-5, 2017

Mumbai will be hosting a Global Powerboat Racing Series, called the Nexa P1 Powerboat, Indian Grand Prix of the Seas. The maritime racing series will be conducted from March 3-5, 2017, near the shorelines of Marine Drive. It will be organised by Procam International, the company behind the Mumbai Marathon race.

For the first season, 7 teams will be participating in the series. Each team will comprise of 2 P1 Panther powerboats, with each boat including a pilot and a navigator. The competitors will need to race around a 5.2 km long track on the sea. The winning teams will be decided considering the combined best times of both boats. There will be two races on March 4 (Saturday), while the Grand Finale will take place on March 5 (Sunday).

The P1 Panther powerboat which will be used in the racing series is powered by a 247 BHP engine that can propel it up to speeds of 120 km/h on water, which is equivalent to around 240 km/h on land. These powerboats have been designed to race in 6 feet of water, making them ideal for close-to-shore racing.

The Grand Prix of the Seas is a result of the partnership between P1 Global, a leading maritime motorsports brand, and Procam International, a sports management company.

Mumbai: Global Powerboat Racing Series from March 3-5, 2017-unnamed-2.jpg
Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 3rd February 2017 at 11:06.
dZired is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:48   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Mumbai: Global Powerboat Racing Series from March 3-5, 2017

Interesting, and nice to see that the picture above is actually taken just off the Mumbai coast.

There was something like this run about 15 years ago near Marine Drive too.

I think those were smaller boats if I remember correct. Something more like this:
Mumbai: Global Powerboat Racing Series from March 3-5, 2017-dragon_home_main3.jpg
image source
Rehaan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 15:19   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mumbai: Global Powerboat Racing Series from March 3-5, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
There was something like this run about 15 years ago near Marine Drive too.

I think those were smaller boats if I remember correct. Something more like this:
Well, as luck would have it, I had some pictures saved

F1 Powerboats in Bombay:
Mumbai: Global Powerboat Racing Series from March 3-5, 2017-f1-powerboat-bombay.jpg

Mumbai: Global Powerboat Racing Series from March 3-5, 2017-f1-powerboat-bombay-2.jpg

Mumbai: Global Powerboat Racing Series from March 3-5, 2017-f1-powerboat-bombay-3.jpg

Unsure of the original source.

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd February 2017 at 15:20.
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 17:29   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
The P1 Panther powerboat which will be used in the racing series is powered by a 247 BHP engine that can propel it up to speeds of 120 km/h on water, which is equivalent to around 240 km/h on land.
I am confused with that statement, how can it double on land?
batterylow is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 17:39   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
I am confused with that statement, how can it double on land?
Yeah was wondering the same. I'm guessing it's some hugely overblown marketing speak.

They probably mean that if the vehicle had that much power on land (without the resistance of water), it would be able to attain 240 km/h. Rather pointless statement.
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 19:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Yeah was wondering the same. I'm guessing it's some hugely overblown marketing speak.

They probably mean that if the vehicle had that much power on land (without the resistance of water), it would be able to attain 240 km/h. Rather pointless statement.
If the Speed was 120 knots/hr then this is almost correct as 1 knot = 1.85 km/hr unless they feel that as water gives almost 50% resistance as compared to land the speeds should be considered as double.
Maverick1977 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 21:07   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
If the Speed was 120 knots/hr then this is almost correct as 1 knot = 1.85 km/hr unless they feel that as water gives almost 50% resistance as compared to land the speeds should be considered as double.
From the P1powerboat site, top speed is mentioned at 70 mph+, so I am led to believe that it is 120 kmph and not 120 knots per hour.

Mumbai: Global Powerboat Racing Series from March 3-5, 2017-powerboat.jpg
batterylow is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:59   #8
Team-BHP Support

Friend sent me this fairly detailed GQ article, and I was surprised to learn that Indian rally legend Gaurav Gill and Dakar superstar CS Santosh are participating in this powerboat race!

But this weekend, Gill is moving away from everything he has known and learned over two decades, and making a foray into the sea. “It’s been really challenging, particularly if you look at the line-up of guys we’re going up against in the Mumbai race. They’re all pros, who’re used to the system, and have not just history in the sport but generations of racing behind them.” Gill is spot on. One of the reasons this race has taken almost six years to materialise is the process of identifying and bringing on board the top pilots in the world. The lineup includes the likes of US P1 SuperStock champions James Norvill and Christian Parson Young; world speed record holders John Donelly and Kevin Burdock; P1 UK championship winners Sam and Daisy Coleman and Dutch national powerboat champion Alain Coppens. Gill is racing for team Ultra Sharks with powerboat veteran George Ivey as his navigator. The Mumbai race will be contested over a 5.2 km circuit, almost like a racetrack, for the first time in competitive powerboat racing.

Gill’s partner-in-crime is fellow motorhead and thrill junkie CS Santosh, who will be piloting competing team, the Booster Jets’, boat. Santosh first met Anil Singh, owner of Procam and promoter-in-chief of the Mumbai race, back in 2014, when he trying to raise money to participate in the gruelling Dakar rally. Iconic in the world of motorsport, the Dakar is widely followed – and criticised. In 2015, Santosh, became the first Indian to complete the rally, in his first attempt.

And the schedule:
Friday, March 3 (Day 1)

Mandatory practice run -1:15 pm to 1:45 pm

Qualifying sessions – 2 pm to 5 pm

Saturday, March 4 (Day 2)

Parade lap – 2 pm

Race 1 – 2:15 pm to 3 pm

Mandatory Gap – 3 pm to 4 pm

Race 2 – 4 pm to 4:45 pm

Sunday, March 5 (Day 3)

Free Practice Run – 2 pm

Parade Lap -2:45 pm

Grand Finale – 3 pm to 4 pm

Podium Presentation – 4:30 pm to 5:30 pm

Race 1 & 2 will include start run and 15 laps with 2 pit laps. While the grand finale has a start run and 20 laps with 3 pit laps.

Venue: Marine Drive

Mirchi Race Village

The race will be screened live at the Mirchi Race Village. Besides, the on-land initiative is power-packed with some coolest and craziest experiences comprising of food, games, celebrity events, engagement zone and much more. It will also host a stunning line-up of musical performances by Shivai, Clive and Arunaja, among others. The race village will also host a naval display and presentation by Zapata & Jet Ski World Champions.

When: March 3 – 5 at 11 am
Venue: Wilson College Gymkhana, Marine Drive, Girgaon
Ticket: Rs 499 each day
source

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd March 2017 at 11:01.

Most Viewed