Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2017, 09:17   #16
BHPian

Re: Coffee Day India @ Chikmagalur : Got a podium in my debut rally!

Congratulations!, for the podium finish and thank you for taking us through the trials and tribulations of rally driving, with a happy ending. It is no mean task to get a podium finish on debut. well done.

I am sure there will be expenses and bills for repair and replacements after every rally event. Am I right in assuming that the major bills will be from the wheels, tyres and suspensions?.
You might have had a chance of speaking to veterans of rally driving. For those of us who are watching from the sidelines and thinking of venturing into rally sports, would you be able to give an idea about the costs involved in modification of a vehicle to rally specs. I understand that costs can vary but this is just to get a rough idea.

Hope you manage to get sponsorship for future events and keep driving.

cheerio!
Old 3rd May 2017, 09:28   #17
BHPian

@nanju: Fantastic job man! IMHO rallying is probably one of the hardest motorsports out there (definitely more than track racing) and congratulations for not only completing but securing a podium!

Being a rally enthusiast and ex-steward, I know how incredibly hard, financially and physically, these things are. Keep it up dude!
Old 3rd May 2017, 10:25   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Nice thread.
Ive seen your Gypsy regularly lurking about in Nagaraj's garage whenever I take my Gypsy there for a bout of TLC.
I used to know Sanjay Agarwal well when he was still operating his GMW workshop in Koramangala - indeed I used to get my old Gypsy looked after at his garage.
Haven't seen him in years though.
Old 3rd May 2017, 16:49   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Congrats bro and as a fellow boy from Goni its a proud feeling. Good luck on your future races and i think we have some common friends in CK.

That was a brilliant writeup and says a lot on your passion for the sport.

Do share some videos of the event if you do have.

Maddy
Thanks bro. Yeah I do have the videos, will upload them on youtube and share across the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubbi555 View Post
Congratulations on the podium finish. All the efforts sure did pay off. Now that you do have a solid credibility, I would recommend exploring the option of using TeamBHP as a potential platform to raise sponsorship funds for future events. I'm sure there are many petrol heads out here who might contribute towards the growth of your talent and passion. Cheers.
Thank you Gubbi555, will take you advice on the sponsorship platforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Congratulations!, for the podium finish and thank you for taking us through the trials and tribulations of rally driving, with a happy ending. It is no mean task to get a podium finish on debut. well done.

I am sure there will be expenses and bills for repair and replacements after every rally event. Am I right in assuming that the major bills will be from the wheels, tyres and suspensions?.
You might have had a chance of speaking to veterans of rally driving. For those of us who are watching from the sidelines and thinking of venturing into rally sports, would you be able to give an idea about the costs involved in modification of a vehicle to rally specs. I understand that costs can vary but this is just to get a rough idea.

Hope you manage to get sponsorship for future events and keep driving.

cheerio!
Cheers @alaphadog - Rough estimate are that your rally gypsy itself will cost you around 4 lakhs with a good suspension set up. The tires cost you around 30k and service back up for one event is around 20k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr20de View Post
@nanju: Fantastic job man! IMHO rallying is probably one of the hardest motorsports out there (definitely more than track racing) and congratulations for not only completing but securing a podium!

Being a rally enthusiast and ex-steward, I know how incredibly hard, financially and physically, these things are. Keep it up dude!
@qr20de - Thank you sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Nice thread.
Ive seen your Gypsy regularly lurking about in Nagaraj's garage whenever I take my Gypsy there for a bout of TLC.
I used to know Sanjay Agarwal well when he was still operating his GMW workshop in Koramangala - indeed I used to get my old Gypsy looked after at his garage.
Haven't seen him in years though.
Thanks Shankar - Yeah, Nagraj Loves my gypsy berry berry much Mostly if the all the works are completed I park the gypsy at home (which rarely happens) but to get all the work completed, one needs to stand and get it done, which is another flip side of any well know tuner. So most of the time all the rally cars stand at the tuners garage untill and unless there is an event.
nanju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 09:08   #20
BHPian

That is a dream start there.
Good job mate
Old 5th May 2017, 15:44   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilonSpitfire View Post
That is a dream start there.
Good job mate
Thank you mate. Yup, quiet a dream with drama start
Old 5th May 2017, 17:06   #22
BHPian

Nanju,

Great Thread, really enjoyed reading the entire episode with twists and turns

It creates enthusiasm for youngsters to look at a career on this

My assumption until now on becoming a Rally driver was that one needs to start early in their age and that becomes a career. But I did not know that we can even participate if we have necessary arrangements with us. Thank you for the eye opener.

Wish you all the very best in your feature endeavours

Really loved the below mentioned conversation. I believe Sanjay would have become a role model for many. I really have fallen for this gesture and have learnt from this, amazing sportsmanship

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanju View Post
Attachment 1634666

All the while during the service scene, I saw sanjay and crack a few jokes, in-between the jokes, he asked me what my lead on him was? He was of the opinion that I was placed first, told him it was negative, that the he led the group by close to 2 min lead on me, the veteran never believed me and I got smart and cut a deal with him saying that if I proved to him that he led the pack would he spare (borrow) me a rally tire, what he told me next completely baffled me. “I would have given you the tire, no matter what.., all that was needed was for you to ask me in first place” he says these words, walks up to his service bay and hands me a brand new yokohama adv tires (cost 9k) which was mounted on an offset alloy wheels. Here I was looking at Sanjay as a competition and there he was looking at me as a compatriot. The only difference between us was that he proved to me that day motorsports needed more men like him.
informmaha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2017, 16:46   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by informmaha View Post
Nanju,

Great Thread, really enjoyed reading the entire episode with twists and turns

It creates enthusiasm for youngsters to look at a career on this

My assumption until now on becoming a Rally driver was that one needs to start early in their age and that becomes a career. But I did not know that we can even participate if we have necessary arrangements with us. Thank you for the eye opener.

Wish you all the very best in your feature endeavours

Really loved the below mentioned conversation. I believe Sanjay would have become a role model for many. I really have fallen for this gesture and have learnt from this, amazing sportsmanship
Thanks mate. Yup, no need to start early, but some experience gained by participating in local autocross events will surely help.
Old 16th May 2017, 18:44   #24
BHPian

Nanju, apart from showing great potential as a rally driver, your narration was spellbinding! High drama & action! brought back memories of my time as a rally service guy in the Himalayan Rally during the mid 80's when the Gypsy ruled the roost! Congratulations on your podium finish & wishing you many more!
Old 20th May 2017, 17:21   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmonie View Post
Nanju, apart from showing great potential as a rally driver, your narration was spellbinding! High drama & action! brought back memories of my time as a rally service guy in the Himalayan Rally during the mid 80's when the Gypsy ruled the roost! Congratulations on your podium finish & wishing you many more!
Thank you rmonie. RDH is my dream rally, had been to the 2015 RDH as part of a service crew. UP north, its still the gypy's that rule the roost. The kind of mods done on each gypsy's there is a sight to behold.
Old 9th October 2017, 10:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

I was surfing in Indian Motorsports section to get some update about 2017 Raid De Himalaya & bumped into your thread.

Wow! Congratulations on the podium finish in your first Rally. This is an amazing write-up. It felt like, I am there in your Gypsy. Thank you very much, Avin! For sharing this.

I used to have many questions about Rally's rules and regulations, your thread answered my most of the questions. Thanks once again.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 16:50   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
I was surfing in Indian Motorsports section to get some update about 2017 Raid De Himalaya & bumped into your thread.

Wow! Congratulations on the podium finish in your first Rally. This is an amazing write-up. It felt like, I am there in your Gypsy. Thank you very much, Avin! For sharing this.

I used to have many questions about Rally's rules and regulations, your thread answered my most of the questions. Thanks once again.
Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed the thread. RDH has been sealed by Rana this year, 11th crown for him.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks