Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2017, 10:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driven: The VW Ameo Cup Race Car @ Kari Speedway (1.8L TSI, 202 BHP, 320 Nm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Why a race car would take the opposite approach and put in a lightweight flywheel?
I was under the impression that this permits faster engine rpm spool up. There is something else to it I suppose as you state it brings down rpm faster.

Quote:
The Vento Cup car had a slightly longer wheel base.
Did not know this.

Quote:
The brakes are extremely confidence inspiring and reassuring. There is no drama, no fishtailing, no twitching.
A sign of perfectly calibrated brakes and good weight distribution.

Quote:
Display after the 2nd session
Low water temperature for the kinda of thrashing the engine went through.

Quote:
The first thing he signaled was to shut down everything.
Wonder how they save the turbo is such a scenario. Probably don't care in a race spec car.

Your track experience brings back memories of driving a simple go kart. 100% focus for those 2 - 4 laps. You don't want that guy behind getting ahead of you. What makes it more interesting is when you want to over take someone who drives just as well as you. You have the same amount of power but all you can do is tail gate the chap in front. That hopelessly slow generator engine spool up makes you lean forward, pushing down so hard on the cable operated throttle, cursing under your helmet. Heck; I rarely touched the brakes while karting cause I did not want to loose momentum. Corner to corner, both your steel bumpers are about to make contact. It is all down to driving skill if you want to get ahead.

Thank you for sharing.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 21st July 2017 at 10:25.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 14:15   #32
BHPian

Re: Driven: The VW Ameo Cup Race Car @ Kari Speedway (1.8L TSI, 202 BHP, 320 Nm)

Wow ! SDP, your write up was superb. Your honest feedback & story telling took me with you to the track. The Ameo TSI Cup car looks so enticing. I m sure it must have been a great experience driving it.

Thanks for the report.

Regards,

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 10:47   #33
BHPian

@SDP

Every single detail!! This is a blow-by-blow account... simply outstanding.

You must have a phenomenal memory to remember so many details. Every time I try writing a detailed trip-log after a fun trip, I am at loss of time/that 'drive' to put everything down in words.

Do let us know if you had the action-cam running all through, I mean even during the briefings?
Spinnerr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2017, 10:05   #34
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Discovery Turbo is doing a special on the Ameo Cup 2017 .. Pits to Podium 2017. I saw the first episode last week and looks interesting.

Here are more details:
Driven: The VW Ameo Cup Race Car @ Kari Speedway (1.8L TSI, 202 BHP, 320 Nm)-ameo-pits-podium-2017.jpg
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 14:46   #35
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
Do let us know if you had the action-cam running all through, I mean even during the briefings?
Sorry, missed responding to this query earlier. Tried to record the briefing on my cell, but just got a lot of wind-noise and couldn't get enough bits. I did take notes on a notepad during the first part of the briefing and updates those from memory during the return flight later in the day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a separate note -
Saw episode 2 of "Pits to Podium" which primarily covered driver introduction and background. Quite a few interesting profiles, but one chap - Dhruv Mohite - stood out. Just imagine, a lad from a second-tier city like Kolhapur, he is 19 years old AND racing since last 10 years. Won his first national championship when he was 9 years old. Wow!

PS: Talking about go-karts. Don't mean to encourage underage driving.

Last edited by SDP : 6th November 2017 at 16:44. Reason: broken quote

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks