Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2007, 17:56   #1
Team-BHP Support

Super 1600 Saloon Car Racing Series to start soon

Its time to bring the fun back into racing, both for the drivers and more so the spectators. And what can be more fun than modified saloon cars racing bumper to bumper just like they do in the World Touring Car Championship.

Well, its about to start within the next couple of months. The basics are:

- Engine capacity upto 1650cc
- Production car body
- Any car that is sold in India will be permited
- No engine swaps allowed
- Engine internals are basically free
- Tyres are free
- Maximum diameter of the wheel should be 15".

Detailed technical regulations have been uploaded here. They are kept really simple and along the lines of similar series run in other Asian countries, so that would mean the possibility of having races with other Asian drivers and cars participating.

Also, seeing production cars of varied makes taking to the circuits, hopefully our sleeping auto manufacturers will wake up to the fact that their best marketing tool is there for the taking!

Maybe this image will make it to India as well?

I also hope to see a few TBHPians out there on the track.

Last edited by Rtech : 26th July 2007 at 18:46.
Old 17th January 2007, 19:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Min weight :
Variable Valve timing - 1100kgs
Non Variable Valve timing - 950

Bloody 150kg penalty? And i doubt the OHC Vtec will be allowed (as it's out of production).

But i liked the way the rules have been set. With most modifications being free from restrictions, it's gonna be interesting to see who comes up with what mods.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 17th January 2007 at 19:25.
Old 17th January 2007, 19:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Min weight :
Variable Valve timing - 1100kgs
Non Variable Valve timing - 950
Bloody 150kg penalty? And i doubt the OHC Vtec will be allowed (as it's out of production)
I think it will be allowed because Rt mentioned other Asian cars are welcome too. There is no mention of Indian market cars only.

But effectively its chances are killed because of this rule above. But in reality it dosent bring any advantage because cams and valves are free so who needs a VVT device when you can throw a really hot cam in there.

Right now, the Baleno or Fiesta looks like what I would pick, or maybe the OHC 1.5exi bored out to 1650 cc. Optra is too fat, NHC is too tall, Verna has VVT, Ikon has only 8v,Lancer 1.5 has only 12V, Accent GTX maybe

9.3 Tyres of the same make and size are free provided they are street legal.
9.4 Buffing of tyres is not allowed.

Can you explain this rule above, same make as what? Is buffing same as shaving the threads.
Does this mean DOT legal, R-coumpound tires like Michelin Pilop Cup tires are allowed?

Last edited by Mpower : 18th January 2007 at 05:04.
Old 18th January 2007, 03:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

I see a short boy in a big car taking a long drive.
Old 18th January 2007, 05:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

I was hoping this would be a logical step up for privateers from the Esteem tin top class, but this is a full blodded GpA touring car series. I really dont see too many privaters who is afford this for too long. This is for top dollar racing teams like MRF, JK, WSRF etc.

Rt how about a GpN version of this with stock engine internals with CAI+freeflow+free suspension. Both classes can race together like in LeMans.
Old 18th January 2007, 06:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Frankly, i don't mind taking my stock car (with stiffened company suspension) for one of the races. Just go there and have fun.

Shan2nu
Old 18th January 2007, 07:40   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Frankly, i don't mind taking my stock car (with stiffened company suspension) for one of the races. Just go there and have fun.

Shan2nu
Where is it going to be held???

I guess the rich kid's are going to have all the fun... if there are no restrictions to modding...
Old 18th January 2007, 07:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess the rich kid's are going to have all the fun
Yeah, but unlike drag racing, this isn't just about straight line acceleration. A less powerful car with an awesome handling setup can still win, if the driver has the right skills.

So, don't rate the cars by the amount of money spent on them.

Shan2nu
Old 18th January 2007, 10:27   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Finally! Something to separate the men from the boys. I really hope this catches on like the drag-racing fever that has come over in the last 5 years.

Quote:
- Engine capacity upto 1650cc
Come on, give those RS boys a chance with 150cc more. Or do you have a separate category coming up in the future?

Quote:
- Tyres are free
Brilliant!
Old 18th January 2007, 10:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you would still need a roll cage, 5 point harness and racing seat to pass safety tech.
Old 18th January 2007, 10:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Come on, give those RS boys a chance with 150cc more. Or do you have a separate category coming up in the future?
Since forced induction isnt allowed I guess the RS wont qualify anyways.

Where are these races going to be held ?
Old 18th January 2007, 11:11   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
i doubt the OHC Vtec will be allowed (as it's out of production).
Yes, the OHC will be allowed. Doesn't matter if it is out of production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
9.3 Tyres of the same make and size are free provided they are street legal.
9.4 Buffing of tyres is not allowed.

Can you explain this rule above, same make as what? Is buffing same as shaving the threads.
Does this mean DOT legal, R-coumpound tires like Michelin Pilop Cup tires are allowed?
9.3 seems to be a typo. Thanks for pointing that out. It should read "Tyres are free provided they are street legal." Yes, that does mean DOT legal "autocross" type tyres sold abroad are legal.

No buffing of the sidewall of the tyre to rub out the make of the tyre and no shaving the treads either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Rt how about a GpN version of this with stock engine internals with CAI+freeflow+free suspension. Both classes can race together like in LeMans.
Yes, this will probably run along with the Super 1600 class and will be mentioned in the event regulations when they go to print.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu

Yeah, but unlike drag racing, this isn't just about straight line acceleration. A less powerful car with an awesome handling setup can still win, if the driver has the right skills.

So, don't rate the cars by the amount of money spent on them.
Spot on Shan! This is exactly the point. Hopefully all the guys who think they have a hot car and can drive like Schumi will take this opportunity to really show their stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Wait and watch is all I can say

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
Where are these races going to be held ?
There are only 2 circuits in India - Chennai and Coimbatore, so the rounds will be split up between the two. But, we are also looking at the possibility of a street circuit if feasible. This would be towards the end of the year though.

Last edited by Rtech : 18th January 2007 at 11:13.
Old 18th January 2007, 11:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Rtech

Considering teh number of diesels out in the market today - will there be a heavy fuel section for the "peterified" boys?

Hey this sounds like fun. Time to get back to India???
Old 18th January 2007, 12:28   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Wait and watch is all I can say

There are only 2 circuits in India - Chennai and Coimbatore, so the rounds will be split up between the two. But, we are also looking at the possibility of a street circuit if feasible. This would be towards the end of the year though.
Superb is all i can say!!
(Just wondering if totally free mods will end up being an issue dividing cars based on $$ put in)

About 9.3, i assumed it meant - Tyres are free as long as all 4 are the same make and size.... ?

cya
R
Old 18th January 2007, 13:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Just out of interest... how much would it cost to pick up an used esteem and spruce it up with all that is required for this kinda event? Ala roll cage et all...

P.S. At one of the track days in chennai (sriperambudur), we had JK race tires being rented out for 700 a piece for a single day' session (read - used tires and not brand new).

And man these tires were just awesome... after a whole day's session the tires were as good as they were before the track event. No sing of any wear...

Any idea where these can be picked up and for how much?

No way would i want to sacrifice my new mich's...

Most Viewed