Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 14th June 2019, 15:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Buddh Circuit - Driving the 1.6Ltr diesel race spec VW Polo

Ever since I started following F1 in 1995, I have wanted to take a quick car onto a race track and thrash it around.

Buddh Circuit - 1.6Ltr diesel race spec VW Polo

Not living in Delhi anymore meant the stars needed to align to finally schedule an arrive and drive at Buddh. This finally happened last year after a couple of failed attempts.

The Buddh F1 circuit is a fantastic track. Fast corners, dipping blind right handers and 2 fast straights mix it up. Driving the Polo was great fun, living upto the hype built up in my head over the years. These are ideal cars to begin one's track drives. You can push them around and find the limit, they are forgiving enough. Braking and cornering blow you away as they are unlike anything an everyday road car can offer. I remember screaming to myself in excitement under my helmet ever so frequently in the 30 mins on track. I was intent on pushing the limits and challenging myself. When braking slightly later than I had done the previous lap on quick corners, one goes through a tiny moment of doubt (is it too late? Will I lose the rear?), this is a high only a race track can deliver!

The only mistake I made on track was 2 corners before the long right hander loop. I had just overtaken another car on track and wanted to build a gap in case he messed up his braking. I lost the rear, only to quickly control it with opposite lock and managed to stay on the circuit. No other instances of me going of losing cotrol and going off track/spinning.

2 laps earlier, another car in front was trying to get racy and I intentionally waited till the start finish straight to overtake. He seemed an absolute rookie, and I didn't trust him in and around corners. Braking as late as I could, focussed on the car behind in my rear view mirror and looking at Turn 1 only out the corner of my eye. He tried to brake late as well and ended up spinning, ultimately facing the wrong way on track. Glad i did what i did.

Guys do be careful.

The other indident was witnessing a stationary car parked up on the side, I slowed immediately and found it a bit strange as there was no spin/crash. Much later after I had finished my drive I was being given a tour of the medical facilities and I found a guy admitted there. He was the one in the car, and turns out hm and his friends had partied a little to hard the night before, got dehydrated on track due to the heat and had to pull over! ( I make it a point to drink 2 glasses of water before getting into the car)

At the end, it was great to be back at Buddh after attending 2 out 3 F1 races earlier. We got the tour and it was nice to see the paddock area and team hospitality units.

I will definitely come back and drive the Polos again sometime.
Attached Images

Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2019, 01:17   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Buddh Circuit - Driving the 1.6Ltr diesel race spec VW Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Ever since I started following F1 in 1995, I have wanted to take a quick car onto a race track and thrash it around.
These are lifetime experiences.
Great to see people like you, pursuing their dreams like this.

Thanks for sharing.

How about sharing a couple of video's?

It will be great, if you can share few details like-

How to book a drive over here?
If we can take our own car and have fun?
The approximate expenditure and few more rules if applicable?
Any briefing on the Do's and Don'ts before hitting the track?

Last edited by Samba : 16th June 2019 at 01:22.
Samba is offline   Reply With Quote