Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2019, 20:54   #1
psn
BHPian

Go-Karting Workshop organised by me, for the love of it

Go-Karting Workshop organised on 24th August, 2019 by yours truly.

A few months ago, I had the opportunity to get a quick impromptu training on Go-karting from my friend, Amrut Kadam. Amrut is a national level formula racing driver in Indian Motorsports, having won several scholarships and sponsorships in Go-karting, Formula Racing, saloon car racing, Off-Road championships and is also a consultant/instructor with several car companies.

The 15 minutes spent with him were not only an eye-opener in terms the technicalities involved in race car driving, but also exciting and exhilarating. Not to mention mentally and physically tough. The rush of that experience stayed with me for several days. In those 15 minutes, I realised that all these years, on the Go-kart, as I wasn’t aware of the science and the technicalities involved, I was only driving around in circles.

It set me thinking. This is an experience that I have to share with people like me. In our time, Go-karting was so new, that it was never in the realm of our thoughts as a career option. Sachin Tendulkar had just started playing and had caught our imagination. In addition, the cost of karting was so high, that asking for that much money from parents regularly was not even possible. By the time we started to earn and afford it, it just became a recreational activity.

However, like any sport, if you know how to play it, you enjoy it more.

With the intention to share this experience and thrill, in partnership with Amrut, I organised a Go-Karting workshop on 24th August, 2019. Including me, a total of 12 people participated. Some of them were fellow team-bhpians.

Before the workshop, I went around several Go-karting tracks in Hyderabad and in consultation with Amrut finalised the venue as Hasten Go-karting circuit. The circuit was technical with 11 turns, and 3 hair pins. The turns too were of several different types, from long sweeping bends to Chicane and several other turn that one can experience. In addition, the place also has a cafe right next to the circuit, which we converted into a class room for the theory sessions.

Amrut arrived a day in advance, and we both spent half a day planning the entire workshop in detail. It was like a dress rehearsal for the main event. With the management of Hasten, we went through the timings for breakfast, lunch and evening tea and also the times at which karting circuit will be required. We ensured that the circuit was only to us, when our participants were on the track.

Adequate helmets and jackets were arranged for, and safety was given a very high priority while planning the workshop.

Finally the day arrived, and everybody was expected at the venue at 9 AM. The excitement of the workshop was so much, that most of us hardly slept, and all the participants reached before 8:45 itself. The entire week before the workshop was nice and cloudy in Hyderabad, however, the sun decided to come in full glory on 24th. The sun could not dampen the spirit though, and was infact a blessing, as we did not need to worry about wet track conditions.

The schedule of the session was as below:

Meet & Greet- 9 AM sharp
- Self-introduction & breaking the ice
- Student’s expectations from the training
- Objective of doing this basic training programme

Go-Karting Workshop organised by me, for the love of it-20190824_090108.jpg

Go-Karting Workshop organised by me, for the love of it-20190824_085923.jpg
Having fun, while getting to know each other

Session 1: 7 laps (4 in a group) - Timed laps
This was followed by a theory session, where the following was discussed:
- Basics of Karting
- Theory of Karting
- General feedback to each individual on the aspects that they need to work on.

Go-Karting Workshop organised by me, for the love of it-img_0144.jpeg
Rapt Attention

Go-Karting Workshop organised by me, for the love of it-img_0054.jpeg
Many Questions and all questions answered..

Session 2: 7 laps (4 in a group)

In theory, in this session we learnt about:
-Cornering approach
-Handling
-Braking pattern
-Clothing (aerodynamics)

Go-Karting Workshop organised by me, for the love of it-img_0081.jpg
Walking the track and discuss the driving lines that one needs to take on that track.

Go-Karting Workshop organised by me, for the love of it-img_0092.jpg
Learning from the boss himself..Breaking manoeuvres

Go-Karting Workshop organised by me, for the love of it-img_0098.jpg
Slalom

Go-Karting Workshop organised by me, for the love of it-img_0099.jpg

Go-Karting Workshop organised by me, for the love of it-img_0105.jpg

Lunch

Session 3:

Summarise whatever has been taught and implement all together on track

Go-Karting Workshop organised by me, for the love of it-img_0202.jpg

Go-Karting Workshop organised by me, for the love of it-img_0223.jpg

Go-Karting Workshop organised by me, for the love of it-img_0225.jpg

7 laps (4 in a group) - Timed laps

Go-Karting Workshop organised by me, for the love of it-img_0147.jpeg
Theory with question answer round. Discuss and answer every participant’s queries, and also compare the lap times from each ones first lap to the last lap.

Session 4: 7 laps (4 in a group)
- Motive behind having a race followed by a race.

RACE
The race was not intended to declare any winner, but to experience the pressure of a race and also to bring in an element of competitive fun.

Go-Karting Workshop organised by me, for the love of it-img_0192.jpg

Go-Karting Workshop organised by me, for the love of it-img_0217.jpg

The participants were of various levels of expertise, and we noticed that each and every participant managed to reduce their track times substantially during the course of the workshop. We also, understood the machines and the limits to which they and our bodies can be pushed.

Each and every session was intense and the adrenalin rush that we experienced was phenomenal. Some of the other side effects of the session we as follows:

- Bonding with 11 other like minded people
- Fun and Enjoyment
- Physical workout (as its tough on the forearms)
- and enough stories to pull each others legs, for days and weeks to come.

Go-Karting Workshop organised by me, for the love of it-dsc_1059.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 18th September 2019 at 07:58. Reason: PM coming up
psn is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 00:06   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Go-Karting Workshop organised by me, for the love of it

Great report. A decade back i used to go for Go Karting on every weekends in Bangalore. That time i learnt quite a few things from the more experienced drivers and every time, i used to try hard to improve the lap timings.
I was regular at Mysore road GRIPS & at Patels Inn in RT Nagar.

As far as i can remember, Rotax was the most powerful one available at that time & they used to give it only to the experienced drivers. It used to have a 125 cc, 2 stroke motor. I had to go through some initial training to get my hands on the Rotax & man it was fun! Rotax was available at GRIPS.

A decade old pic of mine on a Zip Go Kart at Patel's Inn!

Go-Karting Workshop organised by me, for the love of it-154960_105353746203194_4457371_n.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by psn View Post
[b]
In theory, in this session we learnt about:
-Cornering approach
-Handling
-Braking pattern
-Clothing (aerodynamics)
It will be great if you can add few lines on these.
I could remember few tips from my training sessions, but sadly there are no Go Karting tracks in Kolkata & in these 10 years, i mostly forgot them.

Last edited by Samba : 18th September 2019 at 00:15.
Samba is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 00:33   #3
BHPian

What a great idea! I'm quite jealous of the fun that must've been had on that outing. Please consider bringing this to Bangalore too - I will be the first to sign up.
Old 18th September 2019, 09:55   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
What a great idea! I'm quite jealous of the fun that must've been had on that outing. Please consider bringing this to Bangalore too - I will be the first to sign up.
Please do consider bringing this to Bangalore. I have had a blast with go-karts in the past and the learnings on the kart do reflect on the street as well.
Neo18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 10:36   #5
BHPian

Quote:
This is really commendable job. I am an infrequent go kart'er. The problem is there is no one to teach the nuances. When I wanted to put my son into karting I understood the issue.

Since I don't know it myself, I was not comfortable teaching anything to him, lest it is learnt the wrong way.

Quote:
Yes, Bangalore needs it.

By the way, currently which Bangalore track has got decent karts? Most of them use run down karts without any maintenance.
Old 18th September 2019, 10:57   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post

By the way, currently which Bangalore track has got decent karts? Most of them use run down karts without any maintenance.
Meco Kartopia (off Hennur road) has the best karting track in Bangalore, and their karts were the fastest I'd tried too (a couple of years back). Like properly fast. I was powersliding around the corners and even managed to spin into the tyres a couple of times - something that is impossible with low powered karts! I can't comment on the state of maintenance, though I'm hoping it's good!

Last edited by d3mon : 18th September 2019 at 11:01.
d3mon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 11:33   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice to see Chris Harris was a part of your workshop;

Go-Karting Workshop organised by me, for the love of it-img_0054.jpeg

Last edited by karan561 : 18th September 2019 at 11:34.
karan561 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 13:15   #8
BHPian

Great job.
It's a pity that Delhi NCR has never had a good enough go kart track. Only southern parts of India get all this fun as far as I am aware.
Old 18th September 2019, 13:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Before the workshop, I went around several Go-karting tracks in Hyderabad and in consultation with Amrut finalised the venue as Hasten Go-karting circuit. The circuit was technical with 11 turns, and 3 hair pins.
Amazing work. Btw, what was the bhp of the karts used?

Also, may I know how does this track compare with Chicane Circuit at Leonia? I felt that was by far the best I've seen, along with 32 bhp karts.
Old 18th September 2019, 13:43   #10
BHPian

Nice Effort

Kudos for taking the initiative. Training aspect for casual motorsport is most often overlooked. As many others have requested, please consider bringing it to other regions like Chennai too. I'm sure that we can ensure minimum attendance by making it as a crossover between a meet and Paid training session.
Old 18th September 2019, 14:49   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, Bangalore needs it.

Bangalore already has such workshops conducted at MECO Kartopia.
I believe Prudent Motorsports conducts workshops at regular intervals.
Check out the regular karts before you jump into Rotax.
They can be quite a handful. I go there almost every weekend so feel free to PM me for any info.

Last edited by #enzowho : 18th September 2019 at 14:50.
#enzowho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 16:01   #12
psn
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo18 View Post
Please do consider bringing this to Bangalore. I have had a blast with go-karts in the past and the learnings on the kart do reflect on the street as well.
We would love to bring this to Bangalore also. We will keep you posted when we are ready to host the workshop there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Amazing work. Btw, what was the bhp of the karts used?
The Karts were 7hp power Honda Engine Karts. I wouldn't say they were the best, but they did their job well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Also, may I know how does this track compare with Chicane Circuit at Leonia? I felt that was by far the best I've seen, along with 32 bhp karts.
In lots of ways Chicane is better, however, for organising this workshop Hasten was better as it had a place for us to organise the workshop right next to the track. It also had a cafeteria, because of which we had access to wonderful breakfast and lunch, coffee and tea. Also the management of the circuit was helpful and were proactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN13Sleeper View Post
Kudos for taking the initiative. Training aspect for casual motorsport is most often overlooked. As many others have requested, please consider bringing it to other regions like Chennai too. I'm sure that we can ensure minimum attendance by making it as a crossover between a meet and Paid training session.
Thank you for the word of encouragement. We surely will bring it to Chennai also. It will be great and also an occasion to meet fellow BHPians.

Quote:
This is really commendable job. I am an infrequent go kart'er. The problem is there is no one to teach the nuances. When I wanted to put my son into karting I understood the issue.

Since I don't know it myself, I was not comfortable teaching anything to him, lest it is learnt the wrong way.
Thank you for the kind words. I am exactly in the same position as you. I too did not want to pretend to know Karting, because I know how A and B pedals. This workshop was very very helpful, and has got me thirsty for more.

Quote:
Yes, Bangalore needs it.

We will come to Bangalore soon.

Quote:
Would love to bring it to Bangalore. Everyones words of encouragement is a big boost of encouragement to us.

Last edited by aah78 : 18th September 2019 at 18:53. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when quoting multiple posts. Thanks!
psn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 21:46   #13
BHPian

Quote:

Wow, would love to be part of this. Do plan one in Mumbai. Can have Mumbai BHPian Karting meet (we can dream). Will be a day well spent.
Akash86M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 12:54   #14
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you for the word of encouragement. We surely will bring it to Chennai also. It will be great and also an occasion to meet fellow BHPians.

This is great news!! I would be the first to sign up!
Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 14:51   #15
BHPian

I registered at the last moment for this activity knowing that I couldn't resist the urge to stay back when others in the tbhp hyderabad group were belting it out in the tracks.

Was a very fun day indeed. Incidentally I had never taken to the track on a go-cart till then, so initially my timings were very slow but once the introductory sessions were over, the confidence grew and it was very easy to get into the groove soon after.

I think go-carts are a very effective platform to understand the basics of racing and driving so this event came as a breath of fresh air. A big thanks to the organizers
sandx is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks