Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 22nd September 2019, 22:33   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Round 3 FMSCI INRC - accident killed 3 on a bike who entered the track

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftLife View Post
I was not suggesting to use strong barriers but usage of something plastic barriers linked together.

My second point was, that just communicating to villagers whereby asking them not to enter is not sufficient IMO. Sections of people who don't even care about stopping at railway crossings, wouldn't pay much heed to such instructions.

I fully agree that barricading such a vast area is not feasible. But areas which intersect inner roads should be barricaded.
The organisers get police permission only after doing all the due diligence including informing all villagers which are in the vicinity, but human stupidity knows no bounds and no barrier can prevent such carelessness.

There are numerous incidents where such people used to throw big rocks at cars from tree tops. No amount of policing can help such mindset.
speedmiester is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 01:35   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Gaurav Gill's car hits bike during INRC Rally - 3 dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
No amount of barriers can stop this indiscipline.
Yes, they can! If they cannot be ducked under or driven around, maybe they can still be climbed over. But not with a bike.

But, in the end, I don't know how much idiocy the organisers are supposed to foresee. Previous experience can guide, but idiocy knows no bounds.

"In a minute, cars will whizz through here at 150km/hr...." How off-putting is that? I suppose I should ask the people that duck under railway-crossing barriers
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 08:02   #33
BHPian

As per the latest news reports, Mr Gill has been booked by the Police in this "HIT AND RUN" case. The SP and the Collector of Barmer who gave the necessary permissions have also been transferred.

Link 1

Link 2
Old 23rd September 2019, 08:37   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry_der View Post
As per the latest news reports, Mr Gill has been booked by the Police in this "HIT AND RUN" case. The SP and the Collector of Barmer who gave the necessary permissions have also been transferred.

Link 1

Link 2
Transfer of the authorities who had approved and given permission tantamounts to hit and permitted to run.
swissknife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 08:42   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftLife View Post
I was not suggesting to use strong barriers but usage of something plastic barriers linked together.

My second point was, that just communicating to villagers whereby asking them not to enter is not sufficient IMO. Sections of people who don't even care about stopping at railway crossings, wouldn't pay much heed to such instructions.

I fully agree that barricading such a vast area is not feasible. But areas which intersect inner roads should be barricaded.
Barricading everywhere is nearly impossible, maybe they could have drones and make them hover over the route to foresee such incursion.
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 09:02   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Barricading everywhere is nearly impossible, maybe they could have drones and make them hover over the route to foresee such incursion.
Use of drones is a very thoughtful suggestion

Even if they are found ineffective in preventing people from barging in, but in case of mishaps they would at least be able to provide a video proof of what happened. Especially required given all the legal cases being imposed on the drivers.

Taking about the video proofs, do the rally cars in such domestic events have dash-cams as mandatory?
Given all the hit & run, culpable homicide and other irrational cases being pressed against Gaurav Gill, a video of the incident would be very helpful in proving his innocence.
swiftLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 09:05   #37
Team-BHP Support

Would request an update about Gaurav Gill if any of you have. After whatever has happened (which cannot be undone), his well being is the only priority now.

My wishes for his recovery.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 10:53   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Would request an update about Gaurav Gill if any of you have.
His whereabouts are unknown as per this Times of India report.

The same report also states that official permission for the event wasn't given although organisers had sought approval on 27th August.

Barmer DC had shared information about the event with the local police who didn't take it seriously (Que sera sera!)
DaptChatterjee is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 10:59   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptChatterjee View Post
Barmer DC had shared information about the event with the local police who didn't take it seriously (Que sera sera!)
Perhaps, the local police are in denial in order to try and absolve themselves from the lack of enforcement. Don't the locals even think of the benefits that there events have on their local economy.

Feel sad for Gaurav and co, it will have a big impact on his mental state and his competitiveness for some time come. He might stop rallying in India and participate abroad where events are better regulated
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 11:09   #40
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Round 3 FMSCI INRC - accident killed 3 on a bike who entered the track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
The marshal's should have been stricter.

I do not expect the villagers to understand the risks involved in motor-sports, so the organizers have to take care of it.
Easier said than done, marshals are generally not local people hence being outsider and controlling local people (who dont understand anything about motorsports) is far fetched.
Writing this based on my motorsports experience as participant, marshal and organizer

Last edited by ajmat : 23rd September 2019 at 11:30. Reason: fixing quotes.
Shubhendra is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 12:09   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Easier said than done, marshals are generally not local people hence being outsider and controlling local people (who dont understand anything about motorsports) is far fetched.
Writing this based on my motorsports experience as participant, marshal and organizer
I agree. Local police have to be present to ensure that no one "trespasses" onto the course. Drivers are assured that there would be no traffic on the road by the organizers, based on the approvals from local authorities on closure of the roads. Further, these approvals are checked by the stewards before the event.
Old 23rd September 2019, 12:33   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Feel sad for Gaurav and co, it will have a big impact on his mental state and his competitiveness for some time come. He might stop rallying in India and participate abroad where events are better regulated
My thoughts exactly. If a living being (human or animal) has been injured or killed and you were even indirectly involved in it, it does not matter who the law finds to be at fault. Your mental state will always be affected.
navin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 13:18   #43
BHPian

Just now read one more version of the story.

The sources are saying that permission was taken only for Rallying not for Racing. If there is any ambiguity in the requests made by the organizers, it may end up very bad.

As per the village heads, they were notified about Rally (meaning as in political rally, slow progression of vehicles) not about Racing, and they kept their foot down on their meaning of Rally in hindi as Rajasthan is a hindi speaking state. If anyone wants to read the extended media coverage and knows how to read Hindi, he can visit This and read the papers of last 2-3 days.

P.S.
I am just sharing the information which I came across and am certainly not trying to be judgemental at all.

Thanks.
Ry_der is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 14:11   #44
BHPian

Sad incident!

A similar accident happened during Popular Rally, Kerala in 2004 when Naren's car hit a boy in the special stage. The rally was called off.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india....html#post9430 (Popular Rally 2004 Cochin)
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 14:48   #45
Team-BHP Support

Gaurav Gill booked for culpable homicide?

Quote:
Gill and driver M Sharif were booked under Section 304 of the Indian Penal Code (culpable homicide not amounting to murder), the ASP said, adding that their names were written on the vehicle that hit the motorcycle of the deceased
https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/oth...970-2019-09-22

Most Viewed