Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2019, 20:45   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gaurav Gill's car hits bike during INRC Rally - 3 dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
There was actually another incident where youths who I think were trying to escape the cops jumped into the shooting range which the army uses to train. Obviously they got shot and i think one guy died.

Nothing happened beyond a news paper report.
See the 'Army' similarity !

Anyhow, I am sure there are innumerable instances like these, lets try staying on Mr Gill and his ordeal.
bigron is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 10:34   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Some years back, a youth entered the army officers compound in Bengaluru. He was trying to escape from police or something. The officer shot the youth which was fatal. There was no case since he was trespassing. It was not because it was army officer's house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
That officer at the least should have been booked for 304 unless he had a very clear cut case of self defence. He definitely got away because "IT WAS" and army officers house.
This was a drag/stunt racer who ran into the ASC quarters to hide from the police. He was talking in Urdu to his friends to guide them in to fetch him. The military police detected him, heard his conversation in Urdu and were immediately on their guard. He was asked to surrender but he made a run for his and was shot down.

In these situations, you need to take a brutal call. The victim was given the opportunity to stand down and surrender.

Going back to the event. The victims were clearly instructed not to breach the area.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 11:43   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

In these situations, you need to take a brutal call. The victim was given the opportunity to stand down and surrender.

Going back to the event. The victims were clearly instructed not to breach the area.
Well I guess that is your opinion but I dont concur with it.

Did you see the victim given a chance to surrender, who decided that a shot had to be taken and if taken it had to be a fatal one ? I can raise 10 different questions but nor is it relevant nor this is the correct forum for it.

Also, simply because the locals were 'instructed' not to breach and they did, so it is their fault, it is not that straight forward.

Let the organizers first come out and show they had permissions and sanctions. Also, as far as the temperament of our courts is, it is normally very hard to fault locals in their own area despite 'instructions' not to enter etc etc.

Mr Gill and the organizers have a good case if they stick together and keep feeding media their side of the story.

Read my signature, Steven Avery's attorney said it and it is true with its weight in gold.

Last edited by bigron : 27th September 2019 at 12:11.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 12:34   #94
BHPian

Having been a steward and official at motor sporting events, I can say that documentation, especially around safety, permissions (including but not limited to the police), insurance, medical support, conformity to the regulations etc. are submitted and presented by the clerk of the course to the stewards of the FMSCI before the event. I see very little chance that the organizers would have erred / omitted on that front, since these form part of mandatory requirements to run any motor sport event under the regulations of the FMSCI.
swissknife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 13:55   #95
BHPian

If you are unable to have a completely secure circuit you shouldn't conduct the rally.
Public safety should not be compromised life for any sport.
When we are borrowing public road for the rally, we should own up the responsibility for the safety of every one who could possibly be affected by it. The poor chap would not have realised what he was getting into when he crossed the barricade. I am sure he would not jeopardize the safety of his family knowingly. Request you to please refrain from insensitive comments towards the victim.
The organisers are legally and morally responsible for the unfortunate incident.
sureshkishore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 17:35   #96
Senior - BHPian

Gaurav Gill is not to be blamed here as he was just a participant in a sport. If in an archery event someone does come in front and is injured/killed, who is to be blamed? If the organisers have all the requisite permissions then the man who risked his life is to be blamed. It was a calculated risk that he took, and he died in the process. For every incident we can't just state the cliche that 'India is a poor country, and the deceased was out to earn his wages'. People either state the cause of the poor or of our brave soldiers, in every situation, but it just isn't apt here. The driver must be in severe trauma and will need counseling, even medical aid - as internal organs are under tremendous 3G forces (and are stressed in such situations). Though he may seem fine on the outside. My prayers are with the driver, and the family that perished!
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 20:30   #97
Team-BHP Support

Gaurav Gill's car hits bike during INRC Rally - 3 dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post

The poor chap would not have realised what he was getting into when he crossed the barricade. I am sure he would not jeopardize the safety of his family knowingly. Request you to please refrain from insensitive comments towards the victim.

The organisers are legally and morally responsible for the unfortunate incident.

Wow. You clearly have a lot of faith in the rule abiding nature of our citizens.

We should stop running trains also then. Because they intersect roads. Which are barricaded. And people with 2 wheelers routinely cross under the barricade even when it is shut and cross. Even when they are with their family I am sure.

Where in the world do you physically barricade the entire route of a rally. You can only tape it up in sections. There is clear commentary that the gentleman was prevented from going, argued about it and forced through anyway,

In my mind the deceased rider has killed his wife and child through outright negligence.
Axe77 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 21:07   #98
BHPian

I think this whole fiasco was due to lack of awareness, maybe the organisers need to educate the locals on dangers of crossing taped out areas.

Taped areas and no-one guarding the place , i am sure lot of people might try to cross the place.

But even with people stationed at right locations to prevent such scenario, we may try to take shortcuts to save couple of minutes.(thinking no vehicle is coming) See the wrong side driving on the highways even in Bangalore to get to early exit and save a few minutes.

Sad that this had to end with loss of life and people in hospital. But if the local indeed tried to go through even after multiple warnings I am at loss of words here for this foolishness.
Old 27th September 2019, 21:43   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Wow. You clearly have a lot of faith in the rule abiding nature of our citizens.

We should stop running trains also then. Because they intersect roads. Which are barricaded. And people with 2 wheelers routinely cross under the barricade even when it is shut and cross. Even when they are with their family I am sure.
Where in the world do you physically barricade the entire route of a rally. You can only tape it up in sections. There is clear commentary that the gentleman was prevented from going, argued about it and forced through anyway,
In my mind the deceased rider has killed his wife and child through outright negligence.
Lets make it clear, the deceased entered government land holding a private event, permission or no permission.

For all you know, it may be his daily route that he takes regularly to go from point A to B being a local.

It is not illegal to enter government land even if used for private events. At the most you could be detained and asked to leave. Not get killed for it. The onus on the organizers is immense here.

Last edited by bigron : 27th September 2019 at 21:48.
Old 28th September 2019, 08:30   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
. The onus on the organizers is immense here.

I hear you Bigron on the last bit. I think the critical distinction lies in facts. I agree the onus is on the organisers IF they had failed to make adequate arrangements at all points to prevent people from passing. Or if he passed by his normal route without knowledge of the event or adequate understanding of what is happening.

BUT, as was initially reported if he was indeed informed and got into an argument with officials and nevertheless went into the danger zone despite attempts to prevent him from doing so, my blame finger would point to the rider.

Either way it is important that any investigation (which I hope would be competent and impartial) will reveal the correct facts.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 08:51   #101
Senior - BHPian

I know how this is going to end. I see it on a very regular basis.

But, I will just stay put and absorb what is being said here and in other print media.

All I am going to say is, what you read or are told or what you are made to read is never really a true depiction of facts of the case.

Last edited by bigron : 28th September 2019 at 09:04.
Old 28th September 2019, 13:03   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post

Strongly disagree on the comparison between running of trains with a sport like rallying on public roads.

Yes we do live in a country where we make an habit of breaking rules, that's exactly why a simple tape across the road is not going to dissuade the common man from tress passing into a live rally circuit because for him it's the road he takes to drop his daughter to school every day, they ought to have taken better steps than a tape.

Unless the organisers are able to do that i dont hink they deserve to conduct such events.
Old 28th September 2019, 13:15   #103
BANNED

Quote:
Gill and co-driver Musa Sherif have been booked for culpable homicide not amounting to murder, but legal experts are of the opinion ‘Volenti non fit injuria’ applies to the matter.
Though I feel sorry for deceased and offer my sincere condolences to their families, I will not support booking the rally driver & his navigator as it happened neither due to their intention nor due to their mistake but due to the heedlessness of the deceased.

It is yet to be clarified if the organizers took all the necessary permissions and kept in place necessary measures(like guards, guard-rails, and signboards etc) to avoid the accidents like this, if not they have to be booked, if yes then the heedless deceased are to be blamed.

Link
Old 28th September 2019, 19:16   #104
BHPian

https://www.newsclick.in/Did-Gaurav-...tion-Committee

Looks like the plot will just get deeper with passing time. The above article accuses Gaurav Gill of falsifying his nomination submission to the Arjuna Award Committee and also accuses FMSCI for endorsing the same. They also go on to state that Gaurav Gill has been missing and remains untraceable for the authorities.

If these allegations are true it puts a question on the credibility of FMSCI and it's workings.
Old 28th September 2019, 20:34   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebat View Post
https://www.newsclick.in/Did-Gaurav-...tion-Committee

Looks like the plot will just get deeper with passing time. The above article accuses Gaurav Gill of falsifying his nomination submission to the Arjuna Award Committee and also accuses FMSCI for endorsing the same. They also go on to state that Gaurav Gill has been missing and remains untraceable for the authorities.

If these allegations are true it puts a question on the credibility of FMSCI and it's workings.
Utter crap, FMSCI has already issued a statement against this article and the journalist.

Most Viewed