Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2019, 11:33   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gaurav Gill's car hits bike during INRC Rally - 3 dead

Just happened to come accross this discussion today.

There were few posts asking whether this had happened in Rallys anywhere else in the world - specially the so called 1st world or developed countries, hence this post

https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/...xU5oIkjVncoVB4

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/1...te-carlo-crash

Another death at a Rally. Different reactions. Is there something we can learn from??

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 00:13   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
That the deceased did not follow the instructions/roadblocks is definitely their fault, but let me try to relate to their mindset -

Let's say after a long tiring day at work, while going back home I find that my usual route has been closed due to some car racing going en route, and the other alternative route has an extra long traffic jam.
My first reaction would be - 'Just let me go home, I am done for today's hard work and why should I suffer because some people want to race their cars?'

Maybe it was some this kind of thought/anger that made the villagers to pass through the barricades.
Replace the villager with a middle class office worker and the motor rally with a political/religious rally. Now let's see how many sympathise with the office worker even if the political or religious groups had not taken any permissions whatsoever.

Coming to think of it, while the villager might encounter such a hinderance once or twice a year, a normal city dweller has to grin and bear everything multiple times a month.
Jaguar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 03:44   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think it is a good analogy. There are certainly political, religious, social, etc events that cause great nuisance to ordinary road users just trying to get somewhere. But they are not (usually) inherently dangerous.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 12:40   #109
Senior - BHPian

My point was about justifying the villager's action on the ground that he was inconvenienced, not about safety.
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 17:16   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh, ok. I understand resenting the inconvenience; I would too (as posted above somewhere) but it doesn't even begin to justify the danger to self and others of the action.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 20:45   #111
BHPian

Following the mishap in Jodhpur last month, Mahindra Adventure pulls out of INRC 2019.

https://www.autocarindia.com/motor-s...19-inrc-414547
boniver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2019, 15:39   #112
Senior - BHPian

I just saw this

Gaurav Gill's car hits bike during INRC Rally - 3 dead-inrc-rally.jpeg

https://www.autocarindia.com/motor-s...ampaign-414564

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 19th October 2019 at 15:47.
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 07:38   #113
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Gaurav Gill gets bail. This came in last evening:

Quote:
India’s ace rally driver & Arjuna Awardee Gaurav Gill, who was booked under Section 304A of IPC by the investigating agency for the untoward accident that happened during the 2019 Rally of Jodhpur in Sep’19, appeared before the Court of Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate- Siwana, Jodhpur and the learned court on considering the totality of facts and circumstances granted him bail pending trial.

He has been extending complete support and cooperation to all the concerned authorities since the beginning of investigation. In compliance with the Indian law and judicial procedures, he presented himself before the Court on Saturday, Oct 19’19, as required by the police and on evaluation of the facts and thorough investigation, the police has found that it is clearly a case of accident and not 304 IPC.

It is also clarified that the investigating agency didn’t call upon Mr. Gill to make an in-person appearance before them until October 9, 2019. Thus, putting to rest all the speculations regarding him escaping the investigation process.

He is deeply saddened by the unfortunate incident and continues to pray for the bereaved family.

As a true sportsman, the Arjuna Awardee car rally driver, Gaurav Gill is set to come back prepared in the forthcoming fourth round of Indian National Rally Championship scheduled from Nov 1-3 in Kochi.
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 12:20   #114
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Gaurav Gill speaks up - full article

Quote:
We hit those guys smack in the middle of the car

Gaurav Gill must have analysed the INRC Jodhpur accident a million times in his head. He says, “I was coming across to the last corner and it was for me a very short 4+ left flat. Basically a left kink but little sharper than a kink, but take the racing line and it is flat. My speed on the GPS was 163kmph or 165kmph as I turned into the corner. I took the corner and lined the car up for the apex and as soon as I hit the apex, coming out of the blind spot, I saw these people on a motorcycle in the middle. I was on the left foot [rally drivers use left foot braking to reduce reaction times] so I immediately slammed the brakes but it was not enough. The road was 12 feet wide, maybe 15. I couldn’t go anywhere. I shouted. We hit those guys coming across on the bike; hit those guys smack in the middle of the car.

“I saw all of them being catapulted, thrown away over on top of the car. Everything happened so fast that forget seeing their faces or how many people there were, I couldn’t even see the colour of their clothes. That’s how quickly it all happened.

“Musa and I couldn’t understand what the hell had happened. It was not something that we saw for 50 metres or 100 metres and we knew we were going to hit. Or sometimes in a rally accident you know you’re going to crash, crash, crash and finally you crash and stop. It was more of a lightning strike that struck me. Like bam and that’s it, gone. It was a flash in front of the eyes which came and went by without any notice. Without any clue as to what has happened also.

“So, then I just parked the car on the left.”
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 13:35   #115
BHPian

Now the next Rally may be cancelled

Link

Quote:
The organisers of the Popular Rally have released a statement saying that they have decided to postpone the rally indefinitely after the High court in Cohin, Kerala received a petition from Vivek Mathew Varkey of Kottayam, asking for a ban on the Popular Rally, which was to be held in Kottayam, Kerala, between October 30 and November 3. The petitioner had also sought a directive to the Kottayam District Transport Commissioner, Collector and Police Chief to cancel all requisite permissions for the event.
Old 25th October 2019, 15:34   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Quote:
... ... ... I took the corner and lined the car up for the apex and as soon as I hit the apex, coming out of the blind spot, I saw these people on a motorcycle in the middle.
I don't know why this never really struck my consciousness before. This biker was not only stupid enough to be there at all, despite warnings, but stupid enough to be on a blind curve.

This could have killed them on a city street, let alone a rally track.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 12:21   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
And now, the link is down. The article has been taken down.

Wondering what sort of pressures were applied on a magazine that depends on automobile manufacturers for it's income.
Old 26th October 2019, 12:33   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
And now, the link is down. The article has been taken down.

Wondering what sort of pressures were applied on a magazine that depends on automobile manufacturers for it's income.
I just read the article! The link is not down. Not sure why you couldn't access it.
Old 26th October 2019, 13:16   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
I just read the article! The link is not down. Not sure why you couldn't access it.
Your browser probably picked it from the cache. The link throws up 404 error.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 17:54   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
This biker was not only stupid enough to be there at all, despite warnings, but stupid enough to be on a blind curve.
The problem is, many of our fellow citizens don't even know what a blind turn is, just like they don't know what will be the consequences of straying onto a rally track. Feel really bad for these people in the motorsport scene. Even if they try to justify technically what had happened, it is still a ''race" in the minds of the people because no one understands what they speak. This is the result of people getting hands on vehicles without even knowing how to use them correctly.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks