Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2007, 16:04   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post

Boss, we will need to meet up in the day for a brain storming. Do all the deliberations, and then put it on paper and submit.
the normal fun meet and drinking can follow in the evening after the session, where we can invite the Hormazds,Vineets,Robins et all to submit to and make merry with them!!
Absolutely. we need to be sober to be able to do brain storming and that is not going to happen in the evening meet.
Secondly I think we all should appreciate the efforts put in by all the sponsord and the officials but lets not forget this is not the first meet autocar is arranging (correct me if im wrong as im not too sure) and if this is right then they need to pull their socks up, if this is there first time then im sure they must've learnt from the mistakes.
Then the security issues, the cops who were not briefed and i fount them almost not allowing a participant to take part and throwing him out till he protested. The overzealous nature of the cops (with fried brains due to the heat) did dampen the spirits tough.
I fully support Scobby's suggestion and i think Autocar should jump at it, i mean who gets free volunteers man. Scooby im there if u need me for this one and I think, so is every (well, almost) Team mate.
Old 22nd February 2007, 11:05   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
hey Rtech, just out of curiosity, how much land(interms of area) is required to make a dragstrip with minimum facilities if not elaborate facilities as indiandawg has mentioned, and what could be the costs of building such a facility. (keep aside the maintanance part, to be discussed later)
more than hundered acres will be good enough i guess that is if you want the best of facilities like the one in the picture it will be of international standards...it can be done if supported by the govt
or some big shot like vijay mallya
hey chetan, just did a small calculations in mspaint, its comming out to be around 35 acres, lets put it at 50 acres. And the cost of 50 acres 100km from our city(hyderabad) is comming out to be 25lakhs. (BTW, how far was the dragstrip for speedrun 2007 from mumbai city??) Only thing I am not sure is about the cost of building such a facility.(stands for the crowd, commentary, pits, parking, ...)

you can see the rough sketch here:
Old 22nd February 2007, 12:14   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And the cost of 50 acres 100km from our city(hyderabad) is comming out to be 25lakhs. (BTW, how far was the dragstrip for speedrun 2007 from mumbai city??) Only thing I am not sure is about the cost of building such a facility.(stands for the crowd, commentary, pits, parking, ...)
Is this a perfectly flat land? If not, the earth moving cost using JCBs is going to cost in multiple crores.
Old 22nd February 2007, 13:34   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Is this a perfectly flat land? If not, the earth moving cost using JCBs is going to cost in multiple crores.
I cant say its 'perfectly flat land'. but that land was used for growing paddy. i can say that its peices of flat lands. If you have ever seen paddy fields you would understand.
it looks closer to:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...eild_india.jpg

Shall take a pic and will post it here later.
Old 22nd February 2007, 15:00   #65
Senior - BHPian

You can forget about rich individuals helping or anything. True enthusiasts are the ones who pay a tonne of money to ship their daily drives halfway across the country to compete in a race. I don't see a single exotic making the trip from Mumbai or Bangalore. If you can't pay 10k, where are you going to pay a couple of lakhs?
Old 22nd February 2007, 15:02   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i can say that its peices of flat lands. If you have ever seen paddy fields you would understand.
it looks closer to:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...eild_india.jpg

Shall take a pic and will post it here later.
Thanks for image man, that gives some idea about how paddy fields look. Looking forward to the closeup pic.

Still, unless we are aiming for 4x4 dragging, the ground may not be hard enough for regular drags. I assume paddy fields could be soft mud. Earth has to be packed and hardened using JCBs and road rollers. That's very expensive work.

Last edited by Samurai : 22nd February 2007 at 15:05.
Old 22nd February 2007, 15:07   #67
BHPian

Quote:
hey chetan, just did a small calculations in mspaint, its comming out to be around 35 acres, lets put it at 50 acres. And the cost of 50 acres 100km from our city(hyderabad) is comming out to be 25lakhs. (BTW, how far was the dragstrip for speedrun 2007 from mumbai city??) Only thing I am not sure is about the cost of building such a facility.(stands for the crowd, commentary, pits, parking, ...)

you can see the rough sketch here:
Well only the drag strip will cost anywhere between 1.00 Cr to 1.25 Cr (Tarmac Road).. For a building or stand you can consider an approximate construction cost of Rs.800-1000 per sq. foot ( will include stand and chairs or finished building) .. And for parking area it really depends.. If you have concrete/cement block parking or just plain flattened ground..
Old 22nd February 2007, 17:50   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
.... unless we are aiming for 4x4 dragging,
nice comment. But does make some sense. May be we can think about a dirt track in our piece of land some part around the circumference and a some parts intersecting the fields. But I guess 4x4s cannot run in such a track, may be a kart for dirt track would be the ideal one....lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO6 View Post
Well only the drag strip will cost anywhere between 1.00 Cr to 1.25 Cr (Tarmac Road).. For a building or stand you can consider an approximate construction cost of Rs.800-1000 per sq. foot ( will include stand and chairs or finished building) .. And for parking area it really depends.. If you have concrete/cement block parking or just plain flattened ground..
In that case, if the govt. had to help. How would that bring in returns to the govt. does a dragstrip help in a some way to a state. (like F1 track which some-how supposedly bring in revenue to govt.s)

OH BOY!!!, what are we talking now?? .... govt. business
Old 22nd February 2007, 18:02   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
where we can invite the Hormazds,Vineets,Robins et all to submit to and make merry with them!!
Well if they've seen what our meets are like I'm not sure they would like to come!!! Especially when there are a couple of dozen people there who are quite pissed with the shoddy job they do

On second thoughts maybe they should come, we'll set Guzzler loose on them
Old 22nd February 2007, 18:11   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Well if they've seen what our meets are like I'm not sure they would like to come!!! Especially when there are a couple of dozen people there who are quite pissed with the shoddy job they do

On second thoughts maybe they should come, we'll set Guzzler loose on them

That was priceless. And the so called vineets, hormuzds etc are the so called "lah-de-da" club who would faint when they see our kind of meet....who the heck cares anyways... I say we r like this only(Read with Rajnikant's accent.......no no the car!!!) we r quite happy being with our own bunch and anyone who wants to change how we meet can go suck an egg!!
Old 22nd February 2007, 19:09   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post

I say we r like this only(Read with Rajnikant's accent.......no no the car!!!)
V-16ji, did ELF bite you anytime?
Anyway, I heard from some Pune members about the event , and thank god I didnt come.
Old 22nd February 2007, 19:10   #72
Senior - BHPian

I think after a couple of drinks, a couple of kissed from gr8nuzzler, some backslapping by Isha and Ma(n)son, Hormie and Vinnie will run for the hills. You'll see a Speedrun right there at Sea Lord.
Old 23rd February 2007, 11:30   #73
Senior - BHPian

well, got to read through all the posts here, with the constructive comments, and suggestions of building a drag strip, great ideas. It just makes one wonder about where motorsports is heading in our country?
Why are companies not getting into motorsports, as much as say cricket or hockey? why is it still considered a "rich mans sport", well cricket was initially a "rich mans sport" played at clubs et al, but it came down. I think we really need to increase the awareness of such events, and other related driving issues. Personally, I believe we need to bring friends who know friends who will sponsor such events, thereby increasing the participation and thereby showing a greater target audience for potential sponsors.
Just my thoughts
Old 23rd February 2007, 14:16   #74
elf
BANNED

madan80 boss, check out the Alternative to the SpeedRun thread. Link's somewhere on this thread too. You can give some inputs there if you like.

And sajo, I haven't yet bitten V-16. At least not that I remember.
Old 26th February 2007, 20:33   #75
Team-BHP Support

Kinda off topic, but if you guys recall, speedrun 2006 was executed extremely well, especially when you compare it to speedrun 2005, maybe this was to an extent due to the lesser number of vehicles in 2006, but it was nice.
And, give the organisers a couple of more years and it will all be finetuned by then. I'm sure they can gradually get better at crowd management, and looking at the speedrun 2007 response the authorities will spread the weekend accordingly.

And, if the few of the complainants can be understanding enough to forgive a certain black sti due to last minute unexpected issues, you can probably forgive the organisers for having an unexpcted turnout compared to 2006.

manson.

p.s. duplicate in another thread too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks