Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

View Poll Results: Would you like an alternative to the SpeedRun?
Yes. It's about time we came up with our own event. 58 68.24%
No. The event is fine as it is - minor screw ups keep happening but overall it's great. 2 2.35%
Not interested. 1 1.18%
Yes. It's about time we did something to improve it - lets send our ideas to the organizers. 24 28.24%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2007, 16:27   #1
elf
BANNED

An Alternative to the SpeedRun?

As has been seen on various threads in this forum & others, everyone seems to be disappointed with the SpeedRun & it's organization. This seems to happen every year.

We can use our considerable collective resources to try & come up with a better event of our own, provided the numbers (ideas, financial & people) seem sufficient enough.

Format:
1. State what perspective you're speaking from (viewer / participant).
2. Your problem.
3. Your suggestion / solution.

For reasons of discretion, please PM me if you'd like to discuss something privately. Don't simply PM with a note to call you.

I think we should be able to make this happen sometime soon.

__________________________________________________ _
PS:
Please do not use this thread to crib & moan about what went wrong in the past. Simply enter solutions to the problems you faced.
Old 19th February 2007, 17:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

1.Viewer,future participant,talking now about the speedrun which will eventually come to bangy

2. People bring their vehicles into the into the parking area and start their wheelies,180s,J-turns..blah blah..
THe problem with this is they tend to hit innocent bystanders,and with their noise drowning the sound of the participants cars,a lot of the experience of "feeling" a drag spec car fly past you is lost.

3.Your suggestion / solution: Valet parking...lol.
But seriously...what can be done is,pick up a 1 year subscription of autocar and get "privilege Parking"...rest of the loafers should not be allowed 200metres near the drag strip.
Old 19th February 2007, 17:03   #3
BHPian

I voted in Favor of

1. State what perspective you're speaking from (viewer / participant).: From the perspective of a viewer.
2. Your problem.: Havent been to a Speedrun yet, hence no problems faced yet.
3. Your suggestion / solution.: IMO Folks from Hyderabad and other similar places would definitely vouch that an event of this kind never comes by in our cities. There is a lot of talent here and am sure even though there may not be many modded automobiles there need to be a starting point.

The major access that Team-BHP has i.e, its strong member base is what I feel we should be really looking to tap into to launch Team-BHP towards the next level of things. This I feel is the right platform to do so to make it a force to reckon with. We with our all India base of members could volunteer to make this event, or any other conducted, adding a wide coverage by the press and thus bring our forum further into the limelight. If I remember right a BHP meet in Chennai was covered by the Journos.

Today a BHPian might be just a viewer in one of these events, maybe he/she would be motivated to participate if Team-BHP organizes it.

Last edited by suren181 : 19th February 2007 at 17:05.
Old 19th February 2007, 20:46   #4
elf
BANNED

Just got back from a concept meeting with an event management agency regarding this. Lets see what happens, if it happens, in the coming weeks.

Note:
Although most welcome, this idea may or may not have the support of T-BHP. This is currently a private initiative.
Old 19th February 2007, 21:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

1. State what perspective you're speaking from : Participant
2. Your problem: Hardly any events yaar!!!
3. Your suggestion / solution: Need to have a committee set up for Drag events exclusively... like the ADRA - American Drag Racing Association in the US.

This committee should be responsible to conduct atleast 4 events per year, this will give the tuners and drivers a solid platform to compete from. This way we can also make the automotive sector to be conscious of their products by bringing in awareness...Too much to type actualy!
Old 19th February 2007, 21:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Just spoke to someone in top gear(india) today...about the autocar event and how it was managed..he was aware of the event,but didnt really know it was managed this bad...i asked him if he could get to put forward suggestions such another event with other fuel or automotive companies for such an event for car crazy people like us...
He said he would forward this suggestion(in a better manner ofcourse) and let me know if anything could be done..
Old 19th February 2007, 22:50   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Altho I'm not much of a fan of quarter mile dashes, I'd like to believe such an event is best protected with its current established set of organizers, to ensure its longevity. Suggestions /advice will need to be thrust upon them proactively.
Old 19th February 2007, 22:51   #8
elf
BANNED

Hang on dan. Shall let you know if TopGear are needed. Am trying to do something for now, let's see if it happens. More later.

In the meanwhile, let the feedback continue so we have an idea of what we're talking about.
Old 19th February 2007, 23:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Great initiative, elf. Thumbs up to you
Old 20th February 2007, 00:58   #10
BHPian

1:viewer,facilities,security
2:my problemseople doing wheeli and..outside,the place of viewer under the damn sun
3:see those who were showing off outside had suport of the crowds who left the race and cheering them outside so i think whenever such a event is there this crowd whold be so these showing off is gonna be there i dont think we can do something for this problem unless changing people's minds.
so we better think somethink about the place for viewer (not vips)
i think the best think is to maintain ticket for entries so any bodies who is really intrested for the race can come in i guess it would be the best solution
the other thing is a place to seat and watch the run without suffering of sun and being push and pull from the others
they should place like vip on both side and a bit longer too see the end also
the other thing would be security as almost everybody mentioned it the cops were horrible better to use some educated one atleast know how to speack with someone who hace come from such a far place like delhi,banglore,pune,...for whatching and enjoy not to be abused and....
these are my seggestion guys
Old 20th February 2007, 12:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
IMO Folks from Hyderabad and other similar places would definitely vouch that an event of this kind never comes by in our cities. There is a lot of talent here and am sure even though there may not be many modded automobiles there need to be a starting point.
OT: sorry to hijack this thread for a while, hyderabadis this is something I want to bring to their notice. A drag did happen in hyderabad few years ago, but only maruti cars because it was sponsored by maruti. May be we can contact them to have more of them. Infact one of our hyderabad bhpians haryan was an assistant scrutineer at the event. you can check this link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor-...html#post98335

Also I happen to read in a thread posted by wheelieboy, that Hyderabad was also in the map for a speedrun 2007:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor-...tml#post335017
hey wheelieboy any updates about this???. (anyways, i shall pm him regarding this)

Anyways the GIST is that hyderabad does have the potential for a speed run. And suren, i am sure prabhu would be interested in a drag event considering his next venture. Also anyone from hyderabad or anyone associated with motorsports from 70's and 80's there was a performance tuner called Zaal or Jaal, have you heard of him???
Old 20th February 2007, 13:19   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Elf i too would strongly vouch for us being able to host a proper drag event .. Not only will it bring more publicity to the forum but also we would be able to run the drags with less confusion and mess ups wrt to the rules .. Right now , a few of us are in the process of chalking out a deal to host a legal drag by talking to a few high post people if the bangalore round of SR doesnt happen .. Lets see how that goes .. Any help in this regard will be really appreciated ..
Old 21st February 2007, 01:41   #13
BHPian

viewer/future participant

Hey delhi folks lets try an organise a event in Delhi.
there are lots and lots of souped up cars here and some mean and exotic machines which can participate.
about the venue well there are some options like some roads in noida and gurgaon.
am dying to see something like this happening here anybody listening/interested ?
Old 21st February 2007, 02:35   #14
BHPian

Merely a thought-How about getting in touch with professional organiser's abroad who have a reputation of doing a fine job,furnish additional details on our crowd and other problems additional to behavior of their own crowd.

If in a position or after considering the feasiblity factor of the above said,a call could be taken.

Atleast we could emulate their organisational layout.
Old 21st February 2007, 12:50   #15
BHPian

how about having this thing in the dark
halogen lamps can illuminate the track and around and no sun stroke or overheating engines also a possibly reduced crowd
elf go go go gooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Most Viewed