Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2004, 16:25   #46
Senior - BHPian

Yea bro,
* the turbos ill be using will be sp80 turbos capable of doing 1200hp (capable... doesnt mean im going to kill myself) but have spoken to a few friends in Japan who will help me work on this car. We are aiming at a safe street drivable car also. With an electronic wastegate and BOV controls to up and reduce the boost according to the need. The only thing costly at the moment are the dampers and springs costing nearly 85k. But really need it. The car is a 50:50 balanced car... and the weight should give me added advantage. *I wish i could do up the car as well as importtuner but would cost me a bomb... but slow and steady....

Dom
Old 1st April 2004, 04:53   #47
Team-BHP Support

Sounds great,

Electronic wastegate/BOV sounds good if you want greater flexibility with how u wanna use your car. Glad to hear your aiming at a safely road-driveable car as well! And plus the BOV noise will make the car worth it even if it doesnt move ;-]

Im not familiar with the SP80s..... how many psi can it put out? and how much of that are u planning to utilize?

-Rehaan
Old 1st April 2004, 13:50   #48
Senior - BHPian

Hey Dom

How old is the car you are buying? Which model?

Cheers
Old 1st April 2004, 13:53   #49
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

though some of the things went bouncers for me, i'm sure the mods sound very interesting.
Old 1st April 2004, 15:59   #50
Senior - BHPian

Even if it went bouncers V12 I'm sure Dom will explain the tech stuff to us in detail

Cheers
Old 1st April 2004, 18:00   #51
BHPian

Hey Dom can u tell me what is this blow of valve and is it avalibale in inda
and what is your design for a free flow 4 cyl mine is a 3 into 1 I want some thing different ASP REPLY???
Old 2nd April 2004, 13:13   #52
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
A BOV (Blow off Valve) is something like your home pressure cooker. When accelerating the turbo spins faster creating boost, and then while shifting to the next gear you have to de-throttle, which shuts the throttle body, now the turbo is still spinning at the high speed (over 1 lakh rpm). The shutting of the throttle body creates high back pressure to the turbo and the back pressures makes the turbine to slow down hard which can damage the turbo. Now here the BOV comes into role, the bov is a valve that releases the excess pressure on de-throttling, thus keeps the turbo spinning at a healthy speed. So when you upshift and throttle the boost remains and power is still there. Without the BOV, the turbine would have lost speed and have to again spool up (spin) to again create the required boost.

Similarly like the BOV there is a device called the waste gate. Which follows the same principle but is on the exhaust side. The waste gate monitors pressures on the intake. When the intake pressure increases (de-throttling) the pressure pulls a valve which bypasses the exhaust gasses through the turbo. so the turbo doesnt get damaged with the heavy back pressure.

Both are excellent devices for keeping the turbo healthy and operative. With these devices lags are often dissipated.

cheers!
Dom
Old 2nd April 2004, 13:39   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Domnic @ April 02 2004,11:43)]The waste gate monitors pressures on the intake. When the intake pressure increases (de-throttling) the pressure pulls a valve which bypasses the exhaust gasses through the turbo. so the turbo doesnt get damaged with the heavy back pressure.
For further clarification..Dom is refering to the exhaust gasses bypassing the turbine of the turbo, hence not forcing the turbo the spin harder which would cause backpressure/damage.

Cya
Rehaan.
Old 2nd April 2004, 13:46   #54
Senior - BHPian

Hey Stratos

I think the answer to your question regarding turbo-lag which u asked me the other day lies in Dom's answer. Was aware of Wastegates reducing lag, but n never knew something like BOVs also exist. Thanks for the refreshing course in turbos Domnic

Revvmaster
Old 2nd April 2004, 14:53   #55
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Oh boy, its pure bliss when car discussions get technical!

GTO
Old 2nd April 2004, 19:29   #56
BHPian

DOM
Thanks Dom for the info man but what about the free flow design ??
(AND WHAT WOULD BE THE MOST BEST THING FOR OUR CARS TO GIVE US MORE POWER)
Old 2nd April 2004, 22:29   #57
Senior - BHPian

Hey,
Give me the exact model of your car and engine model number. Also let me know if its a OHC cam type. And any info you can give me on the engine. I will map out the pulses for the specific engine and give you the Header design with primary sizing and dia. Also secondary dia with size. And all lengths. Also the collectors should be specifically tuned. Dont worry i will send a diagram and all details. Just forward me details of your engine.

Cheers
Dom

PS: after i get the details of ur engine i will give you methods to mod the car.
Old 3rd April 2004, 00:13   #58
Senior - BHPian

hey does the safari have the bov and the waste gate? coz as far i as i know it suffers from a lot of turbo lag, why does this happen?
i have a 2000 model safari and as per my knowledge it doesnt have an intercooler, how much would it cost to fit one , dom?
can a turbo charger be fitted onto an engine of a zen di???
whats ur ride man?
also can an turbo be fitted to an kawasaki elim???(v12!) or an bullet 350/tb
will definetly meet ya when i come to bang,
hey what other cars haved u worked on???
dont mind me asking this, is this a hobby?
Old 3rd April 2004, 01:27   #59
Senior - BHPian

Hi Aadix,
As far as i know the safari has a KKK turbocharger with an internally built Wastegate. There could be several reasons for the lag. One being the engine components in the safari are pretty heavy, then there is the exhaust manifold... according to me the design is a bit poorly manufactured to cut costs... why dont you make a new manifold and a new down pipe... go about .25" bigger or .5" for the downpipe.
The safari should have an intercooler.... check next to the radiator on the right side there should be an intercooler... looks similar to the radiator. if you dont have one (which im 100% sure you should have one) you can pick it up at the locak gujri. Look for an intercooler that is not damaged and is clear in the fins. Shouldnt cost more than 1k depending on the condition.. you could get it cheaper too.
The ZEnD can be loaded with a turbo... but would require quite some work. A diesel engine runs on high compression. And this has to be lowered when using a turbo. there would be a lot of work. The cars engine comparment is very cramped and would have to do a lot of plumbing for a turbo. But nothing's impossible.

Im waiting for my beast to arrive till then i ride a Prado, NL50.

bro... a turbo to a eliminator???. Why the hassle... go for a new engine (you get 500cc elimnator engines) or better yet a new bike. The elimnator is a small engine... and you really dont get turbos for such small capacities. So it would be near to impossible to make it work properly. But bigger bikes it is possible. There are 600's running on turbos. The best bike to turbo is the Busa.

sure let me know when you are here

The cars ive worked on are many, zens, esteems, mondeo's, C, supra, now on a mazda.

And yes its a hobby.

Cheers!
Dom
Old 3rd April 2004, 01:34   #60
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Aadix,

The Safari does not come with a blow off valve. There are many reasons why the Safari suffers from such terrible turbo lag, the primary one being that below 2000 engine rpm, the turbo is not spinning fast enough to provide any sufficient boost. Second, acceleration response will always be lethargic in any vehicle with a power to weight ratio of 40odd/ton. God thats underpowered.

The Safari does come with an intercooler, look around the engine bay..it should be very easy to spot.

The Zen D engine bay is very very cramped already. This car was originally designed to accomodate a 650cc engine, which Maruti increased to a 1000cc. Later on, for the heck of offering a diesel, they went ahead and plonked a 1500cc Peugeot diesel filling up the engine bay so much that even an ant could not find its way in. I doubt theres any room for a turbo and ancillaries in there.

GTO

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks