Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Old 20th January 2020, 11:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers

Our winter Gujarat Team-BHP meet was canceled due to very low participation. That didn't have any effect on the spirit of our active and constantly buzzing Team-BHP GUJ WhatsApp group. We all were in touch and decided to plan one another meet. The engagement at the WhatsApp group kept going on. We kept discussing automobile and travel at the group.

One fine day someone from the group shared these pics of Vadodara Invitational Supercross.

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-2.jpg

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-1.jpg

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-3.jpg

A supercross event at our very own Vadodara was a mouthwatering proposition. 19th Jan was a Sunday and attending a Motorsport event just 35km from my home town was the best utilization of a Sunday evening. I immediately declared that I am going to attend this event and asked other BHPians to join me. Many BHPians showed their eagerness to attend the event.

BHPian khalil_khan told us that his motorcycle group was planing a group ride to this event from Ahmedabad and invited us to tag along. Some of us including me decided to tag along with Khalil's group to attend the event.

The entry for spectators was free. I decided to take my wife and daughter to the event. I always wanted my daughter to take an interest in motorsports. If not as a competitor than as a spectator or as a fan. I have a selfish reason behind that. It's fun to watch and discuss the F1 race and MotoGP with someone at home. Unfortunately, I watch all the races alone at my home and keep discussing it with others via WA messages. My five years old daughter is the best potential candidate to create interest at an early age. And the best way to do that was to take her to a live event. Vadodara Invitational Supercross at just 35km from my home town was the best opportunity to take my daughter to a live motorsports event.

However, The God of Motorsports wanted something else from me. Some four or five days before the event BHPIan loveforjeeps93 messaged at WA group that, one of the associates of event organizer Baroda Automotive Racing(BAR) wanted volunteers for Lap recording/lap scoring. The volunteers have to remain present at the event during the practice session for briefing and provide their services at the actual event. They even offered night stay for two nights in Vadodara. It was an amazing opportunity. Watching a motorsport event as a spectator is fun. But than remaining on track and be a part of the motorsports as an official is more fun.

And after one message from loveforjeeps93, my wife and daughter got out of the equation. Fortunately, I didn't inform them about my intention to take them to the event, which saved me from the awkward situation of saying no to my daughter.

Me and BHPian khalil_khan were first to say yes to work as Lap scorer. They wanted three volunteers, and they got three BHPians SJM1214, khalil_khan and loveforjeeps93. Khalil is a seasoned offroader and a motorcycle enthusiast who has vast experience of OTRs and TSD rallies. On the other hand, I and loveforjeeps93 were absolutely new to this kind of event with zero experience. However, our love(and enthusiasm) for automobiles and motorsports was enough to take over our lack of experience.

We all sent our documents and finished the formalities for registration. We were asked to remain present at the venue at 1200 on 18th Jan for briefing during the practice session.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd January 2020 at 12:00. Reason: As requested
SJM1214 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 12:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers

On 18th Jan, loveforjeeps93 picked me up from Anand in his great looking and well maintained VW Vento. After some chitchat, our conversation turned to cars. And we were so engaged in our car talks that we were not aware that we entered Vadodara. After a chai-Sautta break, we headed to the venue.

We reached the venue at sharp 1215. We reported our arrival to Sanket from Aashan Sports ( Organiser of the Event). Sanket asked us to meet Mr. Sunil Nigam of the Baroda Automotive Racing (BAR). Sunil Nigam is well- known name in Baroda Motorsports scene. Sunil asked us to have lunch and wait for Khalil. We made our selves comfortable at the venue and started observing the preparation.

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-4.jpg

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-5.jpg

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-6.jpg

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-7.jpg

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-8.jpg

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-9.jpg

There were VIP passage and free passage. The VIP area had team tents, wherein team members and bikes were getting ready. A total of Seven teams were going to participate in the race.

Team Tents
Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-10-1.jpg

Bikes
Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-11.jpg

Bikes
Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-12.jpg

Hats off to Red Bull, for always remaining present and sponsoring motorsports events in Gujarat.

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-13.jpg

SuperCross Race.

Supercross is an indoor dirt bike racing - a newer version of motocross, the sport’s original form. Whereas motocross takes place on long courses built primarily on the dirt and terrain offered up by nature. Supercross races are made from dirt hauled into stadiums. Supercross races are held in open stadiums and covered domes. The track takes all the exciting obstacles of outdoor riding—jumps, turns, and bumps—amplifies them, and puts them in easy view of spectators.

The Track.

A Supercross track represents the ultimate evolution of the sport. Among the many obstacles riders must negotiate every lap are whoop sections (brutal washboards where riders skim along the tops of the bumps), rhythm sections (irregular series of jumps with a variety of combination options), and triple jumps (three jumps in a row that riders normally clear in a single leap of 70 feet or more). Many of the turns have banked berms, but some are flat.

It takes many truckloads of dirt to make up a Supercross track. Soil conditions can be hard-packed, soft, muddy, sandy, rutted, or any combination thereof. Average riders would find it impossible to even do a lap on a Supercross track, let alone race at high speeds.

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-the_obstacles_of_a_supercross_track.png
Source: www.supercrosslive.com

The teams were working hard to tune their bikes. Event organizers were busy giving the final touch to the track and branding. And we, we were waiting for Khalil and trying to be helpful to the organizer team. However, all the jobs were distributed nicely among the team and we had nothing to do. We utilized that time in observing bikes and trying all the mocktails offered by the Red Bull retail counter.

Some major players like Harley Davidson, Triumph, Royal Enfield, Mercedes, etc. were busy setting up their display counters. So overall, we enjoyed being there at the VIP passage. After a while, we went to our rooms to freshen up. Khalil was stuck up with some issues so he was running late.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd January 2020 at 12:02. Reason: As requested
SJM1214 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 11:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

We checked in one of the nearby OYO Townhouse (Provided by Aashan Sports), freshen up and immediately rushed back to the Venue. We wanted to understand the racing format (We did it by google). We also wanted to understand our job as a lap scorer. However, everyone was busy with their assigned task. It was time for the first practice session.

As per claimed by the organizers, It was first Night Super Cross of Gujarat. The participant needed to be familiar with the track under the floodlights. We heard the heavy broooom- wrooom of the motorcycles and we rushed to the track and got ourselves at the best possible spot to see the practice session. After a five-minute practice Session of track marshals, the bikers arrived on the track and started doing their practice. Here are some photos and videos of the practice session.

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-15.jpg

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-16.jpg

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-17.jpg

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-18.jpg

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-20.jpg

We occupied the best pavilion ( which was for the chief guest of the event). We were able to see the practice session very closely. That pavilion was facing a long tabletop obstacle. It was amazing to see those bikes flying of that tabletop. The heavy noise of the motorcycles was intoxicating.

Ok, we were the first-timer, but we were very well aware of what freestyle in super/moto-cross was. It's one of the most exciting parts of Supercross. Freestyle motocross, also known as FMX, is one of the popular variations of motocross in which many motorcycle riders attempt various types of stunts and jump.

Here are some pics and Videos of the Freestyle Practise session.

Freestyle Practise.
Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-21.jpg

Freestyle Practise.
Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-22.jpg

Freestyle Practise.
Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-23.jpg

PS: We were there to give our services as Lap Scorer, So I didn't carry my SLR. All the Photos and Videos are taken by Mobile phones.

It was amazing. Even during the practice session, the free-entry area was full of spectators and all of them cheering the participants. It was an indication that Vadodara Invitational Supercross would be going to be a grand success.

After the first practice session, once again, we approached Mr. Sunil Nigam for briefing and to understand our job as a lap scorer. However, Khalil was not yet arrived and our team was not full. Sunil asked us to wait for Khalil and told us that he would brief all three of us at 2000. He informed us Lap Scoring is not a hard task for people, who are following, watching and understand F1 races. That was reassuring.

Vadodara is just 35km from my home town, so it wasn't making any sense to stay in a hotel at Vadodara. Moreover, Its always tough to explain to a five-year-old kid why Daddy was not home during the night.

I tagged along in my wife's car and headed back home.

After 2130, loveforjeeps93 called me up to announce Khalils's arrival. They were enjoying the second practice session and after that planned to try out Vadodara's food scene. No Briefing was done. I tried to google about the job of Lap Scorer of motocross. It did not help much. I decided "Kal ki kal Dekhenge" and called it a day.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 22nd January 2020 at 14:00. Reason: edited
SJM1214 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 12:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

On 19th Jan, Sunday, post-lunch I rode to Vadodara. The climate was amazingly cold. It was fun to ride those 40km to Vadodara from my hometown. I meet the other two BHPians at the hotel and immediately rushed to the venue.

The venue was overflowing with the VIPs and spectators. The security team denied allowing our car in VIP parking. We told them that we are crew members and they asked for the crew ID cards. Oops, no one of us remembered to collect our ID cards from Sunilji. We called up Sunil ji, finally Sanket was gracious enough to come to the entry gate and got us in with our cars.

We got in but we were without any ID. Curious eyes were piercing we, three guys, without any ID. Some of the crew guys came to us asked us to wear the id. I removed my jacket and tried to show off my Team-BHP tee to get accepted in the crew crowd. It helped and people started noticing it. However, it was not possible to remain there without IDs. A helpful crew member named Javed came to our aid and gave us IDs of Track Access and asked us to remain present at the media stage. Javed was going to lead the team of Lap scorers.

Three BHPians.
Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-24.jpg

We were asked to finish nature and sauta calls and report at the center stage of the track. There was a special stage constructed for the Laps scorer team. We reported at the center stage and that was one the best place to watch the race. The entire arena was packed with the spectators. DJ was making the atmosphere more and more electric.

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-25-1.jpg

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-25-3.jpg

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-27.jpg

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-28.jpg

We got on the stage. Finally, our briefing started. The most important job of Lap counting and writing them down on the official sheet of paper was going to handled by Javed and one more experienced crew member.

My and Khalil_Khan's job was to keep an eye on race leader, keep an eye on overlapping and communicate with loveforjeeps93 to ask him to show lap numbers to participants & FMSCI officials. loveforjeeps93 was going to remain on the tracks with cardboard signs of lap numbers to show them to the racers. We were asked to keep an eye on the numbers of the riders and not on the color of the tee or make of the motorcycles. That was an important tip.

I was asked one more important job to wave a checkered flag to the winner and immediately I started feeling like a celebrity.

At The Centre Stage.
Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-29.jpg

Briefing.
Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-30.jpg

Briefing.
Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-31.jpg

Briefing.
Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-32.jpg

The briefing for which we were worried about from last 24 hours finished in 10 minutes.

Me and Khalil_Khan.
Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-33.jpg

All of us had very clear information and instructions about our jobs. The job was very easy. There was one more hour before the race start. We utilized that time to understand the flag marshal's job.

Flag marshals are part of the many unsung heroes behind an event. They play a significant role, are always close to the action, often putting their safety at risk to protect the riders. They must make decisions and appropriate actions in a fraction of a second. The safety of the riders depends on that action, hence the need for the marshals to have a correct understanding of the use of the flags in any situation that might occur.

Flag Marshals.
Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-34.jpg

Flag Marshals.
Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-35.jpg

B]Flag Marshals.[/b]
Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-36.jpg

Riders are not allowed to wear radios in their helmets, so they get information in other ways—specifically, via color-coded flags. Yellow (with accompanying yellow flashing lights) warns that another rider in down or stalled ahead; blue informs a rider he’s about to be lapped; crossed white and green flags at the finish tell riders the race is at the halfway mark; white indicates one lap remaining. Of course, the checkers come out for the finish.

Last edited by SJM1214 : 22nd January 2020 at 08:53.
SJM1214 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 13:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

A Panorama Image of the Venue.
Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-37.jpg

After a quick briefing session, Rustam Patel ( one of the Veteran Biker) and one more anchor got on the freestyle tower and started explaining the rule and regulations of the sports and event. The same is followed by the official inauguration of the event and a short speech by the Gujarat Sports Minister and other guests.

Start of the Event.

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-38.jpg

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-39.jpg

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-40.jpg

Which followed by an amazing display of fireworks. The entire arena was full of smoke created by firecrackers. Fortunately, the wind was good and it swept away the smoke.

Grand Opening.
Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-41.jpg

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-42.jpg

The racers arrived on the track wearing Indian Turbon and did an introduction lap. The atmosphere became electric with the mixed sound of DJ and motorcycles. And the best thing was, we were at the center of all these things. We were having a great time.

Introduction Lap.
Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-43.jpg

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-44.jpg

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-45.jpg

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-47.jpg

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-48.jpg

Last edited by SJM1214 : 22nd January 2020 at 08:56.
SJM1214 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 14:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

The event started with the freestyle stunts of two Russian riders. It was more exciting than the practice session. And we were just under them watching them very closely. The amazing crowd of spectators was cheering them up. It was amazing.

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-49.jpg

Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-50.jpg

After the freestyle, the real races started. There were many formats, the most interesting was one-on-one. As per the organizers, the one-on-one race is the first time introduced in this event

It was amazing to see 9 years old riders racing by their 65cc small bikes. One of them was a girl named Alina Shekh. And that little girl became the center of the attraction. The entire arena was echoing with "Go Alina, Go Alina".

Kid Riders.
Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-51.jpg

Kid Riders.
Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-52.jpg

Kid Riders.
Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-55.jpg

And We?
We were busy doing our jobs. loveforjeeps93 was on the track itself showing lap numbers to the riders. I and Khalil_khan were keeping an eye on the laps. However, I and Khail got all the chances to enjoy the race and shoot some Videos. After waving the checkered flag for the first race, I gave that responsibility to one of the enthusiastic girls. It looked better.

loveforjeeps93 in Action.
Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-53.jpg

loveforjeeps93 in Action.
Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-54.jpg

Checkered Flag.
Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-56.jpg

Checkered Flag.
Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-57.jpg

The different format races kept going on, which kept us busy. We were having a great time contributing by our services and remaining at the center of one of the exciting motorsports events.

During the race, we were not allowed to get down of the stage. No bio brakes were allowed. Thanks to RedBull, they kept sending us an unlimited supply of Red Bull.

Red Bull supply.
Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-58.jpg

Red Bull supply.
Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-59.jpg

There was one final race of 10 laps. It was one of the most happening race with some crashes and bangs. However, that ended without any major injury. All the riders got together at the tabletop and bid farewell to Vadodara.

Last Race.
Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-60.jpg

Goodbye Vadodara.
Vadodara Invitational Supercross : BHPians as lap scorers-61.jpg

The event ended with one last freestyle double jump by Russian riders.

Overall it was an amazing event. We got the chance to remain in the center of the race track. We learned many new things. We made some new friends. And most importantly, we were able to become a small part of the motorsports scene of India.

Our special compliments to Ashan sports, Baroda Automotive Racing, and all the other organizers and sponsors. Special thanks to Sanket & Javed from Ashan sports and Sunil Nigam from Baroda Automotive Racing for trusting us for one of the most important jobs in racing. Thanks, Red Bull girls for an unlimited supply of Red Bull tins.

Of course Thanks to our very own loveforjeeps93 for the timely message in WhatsApp group, which gave us a chance to become an integral part of this amazing event.

PS: Details like participants, formats, and winners are available at Vadodara Invitational Supercross's official FB page. https://www.facebook.com/vadodarasupercross

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd January 2020 at 12:03.
SJM1214 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 11:40   #7
Team-BHP Support

Mod note: Thread moved to Indian Motorsport. Thanks for sharing.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:10   #8
BHPian

I have only one word for this “Awesome”

Every detail was covered from starting to end and I must say you guys have enjoyed the event the way beyond we could think of.
pd_scorpio is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 16:36   #9
BHPian

Awesome report, Shreyas! I’m still kicking my luck for not being able to be a part of the fun you guys had! As we say, there is always a next time.

Also, good that they organized the event post sun down. It is more glamorous and much better than draining yourself down on the middle of the track while the sun is in its full glory.

I’m sure Khalil and loveforjeeps93 would have had their share of fun experimenting with the food scene. Knowing Khalil, it wouldn’t have been any less fun than the motocross itself!

Ride safe,
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 11:47   #10
BHPian

Amazing report. Looks like you had a fun weekend and learnt a lot about the sport as well.

Wish you could have taken your daughter along. Getting youngsters interested in motorsports is so important for the future of motorsports, especially in a country like ours where not many care about it. Good to see such events being held in towns like Vadodara, and that too with free entry for spectators. Helps in boosting motorsports.

Quote:
The racers arrived on the track wearing Indian Turbon and did an introduction lap.
Surprised to see no helmets, even if it is an introductory lap.
ChiragM is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 09:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd_scorpio View Post
I have only one word for this “Awesome”
Thanks, pd_scorpio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
I’m sure Khalil and loveforjeeps93 would have had their share of fun experimenting with the food scene. Knowing Khalil, it wouldn’t have been any less fun than the motocross itself!
Thanks, R-Six
Yup, Khalil_khan, and loveforjeeps93 had their fun with food. The funny part was we observed some nice food brands like Arabian nights setting us their stall in the VIP area. I and Khalil decided to visit that counter. Unfortunately, once we were on that stage we didn't get time to check those food stalls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post

Surprised to see no helmets, even if it is an introductory lap.
Yup, It was strange but then the riders didn't do any kind of jumps or stunts without a helmet. They did introduction lap very slowly so the spectator can see thier face and notice thier numbers
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed