Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2007, 16:54   #1
BHPian

Planning next track day

Those of you who are planning to go to the track again this weekend for an unofficial track day, I suggest you call the club office and check if the track is open, before you leave your homes. The trust is planning to relay the entire track and this should start soon.

SG

Last edited by BikerSG : 28th March 2007 at 16:55.
Old 28th March 2007, 18:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerSG
Those of you who are planning to go to the track again this weekend for an unofficial track day...
Is it planned this weekend as in 31Mar-1Apr ? Guys, anyone has any info on this ? Just 2 days left if it is this weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerSG
The trust is planning to relay the entire track and this should start soon.
Relay the track ? I thought they relaid it only recently and the track day was kind of an inauguration of the newly laid track.
Old 28th March 2007, 22:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

No. Definitely not this weekend.
Stumpy said April. I need to give some time for my wallet to get back to health.
Old 29th March 2007, 07:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

i agree, i think it should be on easter weekend or the last week of april. that way everyone should b able to make it.
Old 29th March 2007, 10:43   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Is it planned this weekend as in 31Mar-1Apr ? Guys, anyone has any info on this ? Just 2 days left if it is this weekend.
Relay the track ? I thought they relaid it only recently and the track day was kind of an inauguration of the newly laid track.
only bits and pieces of the track was relaid earlier (parts that were damaged). now the trust is planning to relay the entire track!

i had ready somewhere in this thread that some of you guys were planning an unofficial track day this weekend (or was it sometime in april?). Hence my post!
Old 29th March 2007, 21:06   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Sawan , i mentioned about an unofficial track day sometime in april .. As you said , i shall confirm with the track authorities wrt to the track being free before any further plans are being made .. Also there are talks of hiring either the MMST or the Kari for a track day where drivers will be INVITE ONLY .. These drivers will be chosen by representatives of every tuning group in order to help them tune their driving skills further .. Amongst these drivers few are drag winners , rally winners , and a few who are hoping to make it to the racing scene someday .. General public will be allowed to watch the show , shall keep you all informed about this event ..
Old 29th March 2007, 22:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

OT:
Kari's track day has been a long time coming. I dont know if it'll have entries like the MMST even if it was a general track day. Its 510 kms from Chennai only. The transportation of petrol cars to and fro must cost close to 10,000 rupees, not to mention the fatigue involved.And then Track rent for the weekend, Fuel for the track use,wear and tear involved...Whoa!I've already hooked up with the Sepang track guys for a group track day. A trip like the oncoming Team-BHP Malaysian F1 meet must be fun. Lets see.
And whats with this discrimination? Who is the one thats inviting?? Akbar Ebrahim?

Last edited by nitrous : 29th March 2007 at 22:20.
Old 29th March 2007, 23:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

@ nitrous... i am not a track racing guy, but i cant understand why it should cost you 10k to drive upto coimbatore & back. Is your Ikon returning 1 kmpl & you dont wanna share it here ? please pm me then.
Old 29th March 2007, 23:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Also there are talks of hiring either the MMST or the Kari for a track day where drivers will be INVITE ONLY ..
He sounds all uppity and classist, but I think he's just trying to say that it won't be like an official track day. Probably because there won't be any marshalls or tow-truck and ambulance types.
Old 30th March 2007, 00:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, Just remembered Its not 10k.But,5k.
Miscalculation.Sorry!
Old 30th March 2007, 01:19   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
OT:
Kari's track day has been a long time coming. I dont know if it'll have entries like the MMST even if it was a general track day. Who is the one thats inviting?? Akbar Ebrahim?
I know its been a long time coming .. Its just that MMST is more convenient when it comes to hosting a track day .. I did have a word with the Kari guys a few months back and they seem enthu to have us there .. Right now Rddreams is regular in hosting track days there .. It might not be that far off that we actually have a track day at Kari .. Its just that we are looking at the right numbers to make it happen .. And no its not AE thats inviting .. Actually he is quite far off from this scenario all together .. All i can say at the moment is that this scene is still in its infancy , will know of the latest developments in the coming new weeks .. I think we ought to get back to the MMST track day now , we are seriously going off topic now ..
Old 30th March 2007, 07:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

well, a track day at Kari will be worth it if a lot of us can make it there. the entire excercise will be close to 10K, fuel and other expenses.

@MCL, whats with the "by invitation only" thing?
Old 30th March 2007, 09:05   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
@MCL, whats with the "by invitation only" thing?
Like i have already mentioned , every tuning or racing company for eg FRK Racing , Sag Racing , Electra Performance etc will be sent an invite to join us for the track day .. Each organization shall choose a select number of drivers who are quick and know their lines .. Only these drivers shall be put on an endurance test around the track for a select number of hours/laps .. Once this session is over the rest of the track will be free for the newbies to get to track and we will have one trainer sit and teach the newbies the lines , tips etc ..

Note that for this track day each of you will have to bring your own car .. No rental cars will be available .. At most trying to see if they can supply us Rotax Go-Karts ..

Madan track days are expensive hobbies so to speak .. I spent close to 12k on my last trip to MMST .. That includes fuel , food , track charges etc .. And we almost do it once every 2-3 months , though sharing ride will reduce costs two or three fold .. Its high time chennai anna's work a bit harder and get to places little far off from chennai .. We still have one race track in india that we are yet to explore ..
Old 30th March 2007, 11:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Each organization shall choose a select number of drivers who are quick and know their lines .. Only these drivers shall be put on an endurance test around the track for a select number of hours/laps .. Once this session is over the rest of the track will be free for the newbies to get to track and we will have one trainer sit and teach the newbies the lines , tips etc ..

Madan track days are expensive hobbies so to speak .. I spent close to 12k on my last trip to MMST .. That includes fuel , food , track charges etc .. And we almost do it once every 2-3 months , though sharing ride will reduce costs two or three fold .. Its high time chennai anna's work a bit harder and get to places little far off from chennai .. We still have one race track in india that we are yet to explore ..
Point 1 makes no sense to me mcl.... How does an organisation know how well i can drive on track? Do they know whether i know my lines? have they timed me or any other driver and maintained a track of the same with detailed analysis? I doubt they had time to do this in all the trackdays held so far. How does ANYBODY know if the selection is unbiased? If this was done we would see some serious sponsorships coming through from somewhere. So with all due respect, your first statement is meaningless. Selecting drivers for an amateur event...? expect a lot of ppl to lost interest in trackdays altogether.

And its not just trackdays MCL, anything CAN be made expensive to filter out crowds. Thats wot i am inferring from yout post, but again i may be wrong so ur free to clarify. MMST track days have been relatively reasonable, if not cheap (considering college going folks like you) but there hasnt been any cheap tricks like mentioned above to filter crowds and boy am i glad.

And kindly enlighten me when have we had trackdays every 2-3 months? I will be suprised if anyone can stay out on the track here in chennai May/june onwards considering near boiling temperatures.

And like a lot of ppl here I am open to exploring the Kari track provided it makes sense for me to drive all the way there and i can use my car like i do here in MMST. If any selection criteria like above said crops up you can be rest assured the event will have negligible turnout. No one would come all the way just to watch an amateur track event and more so when allowed to drive only at the end of sessions / end of day for like 10 mins. Not worth it bro.

MCL, i dont mean to offend you. Just expressed my views above. I hope you can understand how much trackdays mean to me and to others. Make it a PRO event and select drivers. For an amateur event this selection thingy doesnt work. i hope i have been clear and have not hurt your sentiments in any way. Pls clarify if i have misunderstood your post.
Old 30th March 2007, 11:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Like i have already mentioned , every tuning or racing company for eg FRK Racing , Sag Racing , Electra Performance etc will be sent an invite to join us for the track day .. Each organization shall choose a select number of drivers who are quick and know their lines .. Only these drivers shall be put on an endurance test around the track for a select number of hours/laps .. Once this session is over the rest of the track will be free for the newbies to get to track and we will have one trainer sit and teach the newbies the lines , tips etc ..
As for point 1 the track is available whenever would like to rent it out, however on the point of filtering out the drivers, I completely disagree as it goes against the concept of a trackday (safe driving under controlled conditions).

If anyone wants to practise advanced driving / race practice I would reccomend that we can have a seperate advanced drivers track meet but not a trackday with everybody on track, this would also mean that the cars & drivers participating will need to be way more safety oriented.
Psycho is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed