Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2007, 18:02   #1
BHPian

9th Maruti Suzuki Raid de Himalaya (Oct 4-13 2007)

Hi fellow T-BHPians

If you love rallying, you can not afford to give this a miss. Or even if you are not so lucky with deep pockets for this rich man's sport but just a fun seeker, there is something in it for you as well. The mother of all motorsports events in India is back.

Himalayan Motorsport has announced the preliminary dates for the 9th Maruti Suzuki Raid de Himalaya, an event listed on the FIA International Motorsports Calender. It will run between the 4th - 13th October 2007. The Raid is open for both 2-wheelers and 4- wheelers. There are two versions this year like in the past, Extreme and Adventure Trial (formerly Reliability Trial).

Entries are open from May 1st.

One thing to note: Interested participants better hurry up to take advantage of the lowest early entry fee in both categories. The last date for accepting early entries is 30th May 2007.

We have among ourselves a few experienced Raid participants, yours truly being one of them. In fact one of our members, Sideways, went on to win the Reliability Trial last year. I am sure all of us would be able to help any one interested and answer any queries.
Old 2nd May 2007, 20:30   #2
BANNED

So Nitin, are you doing it again this year or not ... and if yes, what vehicle you planning to use and in which category ???

Im keeping my fingers crossed and hoping to give it a shot on 2 wheels .. and that too in the extreme segment ( though dunno if they have both sections in teh bikes or not ) !! As for the bike ,, Im gonna be using my Eliminator ..... lets see !!

Cheers
Old 3rd May 2007, 00:09   #3
BHPian

Khaadu, for the bikes theres always been only one category, viz., extreme. You need to be ultrafit to even attempt this kind of a thing. And I have seen the fittest of people battered and bruised by the end of the rally. Case in point - last years winner - Two wheelers.

I know you are from the area and know the hills like the back of your hand and I have no doubt about your abilities. However I would still advise you to give it a go in a four wheeler first. This years route promises to be a cliff hanger.
Old 3rd May 2007, 02:00   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Khaadu, for the bikes theres always been only one category, viz., extreme. You need to be ultrafit to even attempt this kind of a thing. And I have seen the fittest of people battered and bruised by the end of the rally. Case in point - last years winner - Two wheelers.

I know you are from the area and know the hills like the back of your hand and I have no doubt about your abilities. However I would still advise you to give it a go in a four wheeler first. This years route promises to be a cliff hanger.
Sideways , I know it will be a gruelling event but this is the last year I can do it on a bike ... though theres plenty of time for the attempt in a 4 wheeler !! Even being from the area .. will not give me much of an advanyage as the bike Im choosing to attempt on is not suited for this , so its probably gonna be for the sake of completing only !!!

And lets see what the route throws up this year ..... !! Are you doing it again .. and if yes, what category ???

Cheers

PS -- Incase of any trouble , I'm sure I can hitch a ride with you
Old 3rd May 2007, 02:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
the bike Im choosing to attempt on is not suited for this , so its probably gonna be for the sake of completing only !!!

And lets see what the route throws up this year ..... !! Are you doing it again .. and if yes, what category ???

Cheers

PS -- Incase of any trouble , I'm sure I can hitch a ride with you
I think a lot of mods are permitted in the extreme category to make vehicles Raid Worthy. Have a look at the SR. Even better is to talk to Vijay and get details from him.

I dont know about myself this year. Am involved a little more with motorsports, albeit from the organisational point. There is something around that time of the year. Will try and wangle out of it. The Raid is an addiction. And If I can come, it will be in the Reliability Trial. Taking part in the extreme category will lead to my wife sending me divorce papers by default. So...............

About getting nto trouble - Most welcome partner and hoping that you will return the favour - Just in case

Last edited by Sideways : 3rd May 2007 at 02:35.
Old 3rd May 2007, 02:29   #6
BHPian

Khaadu75: I am hoping I can borrow a friend's old carb gypsy and give it a shot. I ain't going to do it in a Wagon R again for sure. As for the category, I would agree with Sideways on that. Since there is no 2-wheeler Reliability / Adventure Trial category, I think a four-wheeler is a better option for first timers.

Sideways: Do you plan to be there? If yes, which vehicle?
Old 3rd May 2007, 02:33   #7
BHPian

If you need more information, follow the link:

HIMALAYAN MOTORSPORT

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th May 2007 at 00:25.
Old 3rd May 2007, 03:21   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
I think a lot of mods are permitted in the extreme category to make vehicles Raid Worthy. Have a look at the SR. Even better is to talk to Vijay and get details from him.
Infact Vijay is the one who keeps pushing me to do it and that too on a bike ... and I will be looking to him for tips on preparing my bike !!

Quote:
About getting nto trouble - Most welcome partner and hoping that you will return the favour - Just in case
Goes without asking .... , the rear seat wud be empty -- so hop on , and then hold tight !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777
Khaadu75: I am hoping I can borrow a friend's old carb gypsy and give it a shot. I ain't going to do it in a Wagon R again for sure. As for the category, I would agree with Sideways on that. Since there is no 2-wheeler Reliability / Adventure Trial category, I think a four-wheeler is a better option for first timers

Nitin, try for a MPFI or else you better know how to change the settings when up in the higher reaches of teh event .... the carb setting need to be changed to compensate for the lack f oxygen or else you might find yourself in a very frustrating situation of only being able to crawl .

As for the 4 wheeler part ... like I said earlier -- 4 wheeler can be even attempted when Im 50 , but not the bike at that age -- so this year is when I give it a shot on the bike or then never will . Lets see what happens !!

Cheers
Old 3rd May 2007, 03:32   #9
BHPian

I realise that buddy. But a carb gypsy is all I am getting right now. Better than a Wagon R at least.
Old 3rd May 2007, 09:23   #10
Team-BHP Support

Khaadu, I don't know much about preping the bike, but I do know a little about preping the body. Your lower back is going to take one hell of a pounding on such stretches in a bike. You better condition your lower back really well starting now, in fact your entire body. Don't just focus on the bike, the rider is more important.
Old 3rd May 2007, 13:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As for the 4 wheeler part ... like I said earlier -- 4 wheeler can be even attempted when Im 50 , but not the bike at that age -- so this year is when I give it a shot on the bike or then never will . Lets see what happens !!

Cheers
Are you turning 50 next year ???

Are you sure the eliminator is the right bike for this ? why not borrow a Bullet ?
Old 3rd May 2007, 14:12   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Are you turning 50 next year ???

Are you sure the eliminator is the right bike for this ? why not borrow a Bullet ?
Wow khaadu, you don't look that old to me? what's the secret buddy?

Jokes apart, I'm not much of a biker, but it would be advisable to take a light off-road bike instead of heavy weights like Enfield/Bullet, etc. Remember there are not many roads to cruise, you need a lighter bike to manouver in some of the most inhospitable terrains and virtually non-existent roads..
Old 3rd May 2007, 15:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

How much one would need to spend to take a part in this event. and what sort mods are required on the car ?
Old 3rd May 2007, 17:38   #14
BHPian

nk!
how good is the safari 4x4 for the raid?
and what mods are needed?is it madness to take a new car out there?
does the route keep changing or is it the manali-leh HIMANK road?
thanks a ton and good luck at burning rubber!
Old 3rd May 2007, 17:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
how good is the safari 4x4 for the raid?
Terrible I'd say....you need something that has the agility of a mountain goat & our beast is more of the Yeti type in terms of rumbling round the hairpins. A Gypsy if anything - I know that Sideways managed it in a Scorpio but only he could have done it.....apart from, of course, Nitin who celebrated his honeymoon in ONE HELL OF A UNIQUE WAY, congrats on that once again Nitin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
is it madness to take a new car out there?
Absolute madness in my opinion but let that not deter you if the bug has bitten lol!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You better condition your lower back really well starting now, in fact your entire body.
Yup, 200 pushups every morning at 5 o'clock.....drink lots of organic milk too

Quote:
... like I said earlier -- 4 wheeler can be even attempted when Im 50 , but not the bike at that age -- so this year is when I give it a shot on the bike or then never will .
Just make sure you are fit at 50 - thats a long way to go yet! On a more serious note, I would suggest trying it on a 4 wheeler this year but its your life man!

Last edited by suman : 3rd May 2007 at 18:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks