Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2007, 04:56   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess_a View Post
Well a proper race circuit would be difficult and expensive to build here in Delhi. Moreover, the charm of a street circuit on the Rajpath and adjoining Lutyens would be unmatched. The machines and the the roads around the India Gate would a spectacle to watch out for...
Well man this is a very mouth watering prospect. I already have images of it in my mind! It would truly be a fantastic scene and very very grand!
Old 15th June 2007, 07:31   #47

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

the deal has been passed through .we are going to get an f1 circuit by 2009.its going to cost 250-400cr to build the track.this is excluding the cost of the land.65-300cr per year will be paid to bernie ecclestone as rights fee.
India will not get the tv rights.all it will get is money from sponsors and gate collection on race day every year.
Old 15th June 2007, 08:04   #48
BHPian

Well Im just wondering how much would the tickets for the event cost? Here the most loser seats(where if u were planning on clicking the 1st drivers pic...ull be happy if u got the 5th!!) also goes for close to $80/day which is approx Rs3000...now comparing the population of Australia and visitors from abroad combined and multiplied by 10 would still be just the population of the number of people u would see on an international airport in India!
The point im trying to make is the demand for a ticket and the supply of the same(after the politicians,beauros and influential ppl) would be really meager...now imagine the cost!!

apologies for the economics!

Last edited by comfortablywacky : 15th June 2007 at 08:05.
Old 15th June 2007, 08:59   #49
BHPian

This would call for the Meet of Meets. I'm sure all Bhpians would love to meet up for this one occasion when it starts. We can organise a sort of TBhp festival or something to coincide with the race weekend.
Old 15th June 2007, 09:00   #50
Senior - BHPian

Man, much as I want it to happen, looking at the way things function here and the infrastructure required, I have my doubts.

Delhi airport should have space for approx 300 jumbos , I read somewhere. Just read that and closed the browser and sat and thought - I still don't believe we can pull this off by 2009, 2019 maybe.

And Suresh Kalmadi ? The IOA is in a mess , so I really do not see how he is going to work it out. If only private enterprises are involved lead by our King of Good times , I guess 5-7 years should be fine before we host a F1.

Better to be prepared and host it later - than rushing in and becoming the laughing stock of the world. Tread carefully is the way to go I guess.
Old 15th June 2007, 09:33   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
But I guarantee they wont schedule it in summer - no F1 car or its driver was designed for that heat. Most likely during winter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ess_a View Post
Well that could possibly mean either Delhi is the first race of the calender yr or the last!!
I did read that they were mentioning October - ideal time if you ask me......they are planning Singapore sometime in September, they have Shanghai normally in October so maybe they'll put India somewhere in that period so that its a chronological sequence. But, pipe dreams at the moment.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhiraj View Post
But still I have big doubts of the finance as IOA seemed to rely heavily on private sector, so basically things are back to square one.
Don't forget that the King of good times is working actively on this - that's a major support one can rely on
Old 15th June 2007, 11:43   #52
BHPian

I don't think a street race is a good idea. Imagine the chaos that localites have to endure. Usually the track is closed for 3 weeks for the race.

Moreover, we could do with a good F1 track in the country. They can lease out the circuit for other activities like testing etc which can also fetch some revenues. (A1 too) And the best place to do it right now is Delhi. There is a lot of infrastructure spend happening there because of the commonwealth games.

I hope they get F1 sport out of the control of IOC. They should have a separate organization which is more professional than what we are seeing in the IOC. Mr Mallya. where are you?
Old 15th June 2007, 11:47   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
And Suresh Kalmadi ? The IOA is in a mess , so I really do not see how he is going to work it out. If only private enterprises are involved lead by our King of Good times , I guess 5-7 years should be fine before we host a F1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Don't forget that the King of good times is working actively on this - that's a major support one can rely on
Yupp it all depends upon the king of our good times! To create that kind of infrastructure wouldnt be that difficult. We still have two yrs and we dont need to completely build a new stadium.. So that might help.

P.S.- When the news first came in I was so thrilled that its only now I am realising that the INDIAN GRAND PRIX will be held YEAR AFTER YEAR from 2009!!! (Hope u understand what I mean..)(Wow this Indian Grand Prix name sounds so gooooooood)

@kvish
You do have a valid point BUT the Lutyens Delhi is planned in a great manner. Traffic can easily be diverted with CAREFUL planning and execution. There are plenty of alternative routes.... So this is a really good thing...

Last edited by ess_a : 15th June 2007 at 11:49.
Old 15th June 2007, 13:17   #54
BHPian

F1 comming to India is a great news but really are we capable of handling such a high profile event. In our country i believe only Delhi has the infrastructure to handle such an event although weather wise around Bangalroe would have been a perfect place.. It would be awesome to see the cars zipping around on a street circuit near Rajbhavan but i doubt a street circuit would be dreams as this is a high profile area with lots of politicians living nearby and could also be a security threat. Now comming to thinking of building a F1 race track the undertaking would be equivalent to that of an international airport and we know what happens to airport constructions in india.. Indian govt must pich in with more than 50% of the costs and why the hell is IOA handling this? they cant come up with the money to build a race track. common lets be realistic the Race track in Bahrain took more than a year to build and they are not short of wealth to splurge on a race track.. can we really build a race track to be ready by mid 2009 i think its highly impossible..Godsake our IOA done even have a plan or probable list of locations to build a race track .. i hope india wont be embarassed again!!
Old 15th June 2007, 13:24   #55
Senior - BHPian

We should be Very Happy, if the race actually comes in, in 2011, thats 1 year after the commenwealth games!! 2009 is Wishful thinking,knowing our very Famous Red Tapeism in the Govt. by the people, for the people, of the people!! If a survey is done on the voters who have actually voted, we shall realise that 70% who voted were below the poverty line and illliterate class. Sorry but this should make us all realise that we cause this problem with our not voting, and still expecting the govt. to function as an enlightened group!!
Old 15th June 2007, 15:33   #56
Senior - BHPian

A track internationally will need:

600 acres of land
$300 Mn to build (India could be less)
$30 Mn as F1 fee

So its a huge investment and commitment for India.
Old 15th June 2007, 15:48   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
I hope Mr Kalmadi, being an MP, takes care of the roads in his adopted home town (Pune) instead of talking about hosting an F1 race !! Leave the racing to the King of Good times !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablywacky View Post
The point im trying to make is the demand for a ticket and the supply of the same(after the politicians,beauros and influential ppl) would be really meager...now imagine the cost!!
Hopefully the politicos, bureas dont know what an F1 race is and are not interested in seeing cars zoom by.. Otherwise we would need an extra long main straight/grand stand to accomodate all the VIPees

Last edited by spadival : 15th June 2007 at 16:03.
Old 15th June 2007, 15:56   #58
BANNED

Forget about the F1 race happening in India in 2009.
It is not possible considering that it requires a lot of investment.
Imagine there are hundred jumbo planes required to land to carry all the cars and other equipment.
Where will all these land ?
Surely they cannot land over here considering the condition of our airports.
What about all the logistics and each track requires a hospital and helipad as an essential requirement.
Besides that we require so many good quality hotels.
All these cannot be done within a span of 2 years surely.
Let them first host the commonwealth games and then we will talk about the F1 race being held over here.
Old 15th June 2007, 18:35   #59
BHPian

I dont think money and land area are really such an issue....i reckon there is enough land and more than willing pvt investors if not the govt to fund such a kind of project....
I believe that the issue lies in the infrastructure...starting right from handling say 10 gigantic Antnov aircrafts,quick clearing of customs,down to 5 star quality accommodation,good transport connectivity to hotels,airports and the circuit and the ability to handle sudden influx of thousands of tourists.
Moreover IOC taking charge of the project is also a concern...just because we dont have aformal committee for the F1 dosent mean passing the buck to another committee who is anyway involved in some infrastructure development.

Last edited by comfortablywacky : 15th June 2007 at 18:37.
Old 15th June 2007, 19:56   #60
BHPian

the biggest challenge india will face is organising such a grand event, especially, since india has no experience in it.

and second, 2 yrs seems TOO QUICK to build a track ready for use.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed