Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2008, 07:37   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVS View Post
Hi Jagat

Great to see you on the forum and a warm welcome, albeit a bit too late!!

As many others on this forum had already pointed out, both of you (Jagat & Anita Nanjappa) were a source of inspiration for many a biker! It was really exciting watching the both of you zip around on the powerful RD 350 at amazing speeds, in the late 80s and early 90s.

I recollect having read an article about Anita in a magazine -
apparently she's now moved on from the world of rallying and is managing a homestay in the vicinity of Mercara?? Correct me if I am wrong.

Here's wishing the both of you all the very best in your future endeavours!!!
Thank you PVS.
You are right about Anita.
Old 29th April 2008, 07:43   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Yes, i've seen your Red Tatamobile with the bike tied up at the back.....and i still see you often in Kammanahalli when i come for service.

Thats true. We used to travel to any part of the country to take part in the INRC with that outfit. Great fun.
I live in that area when i am out of coorg.
cheers:
Old 29th April 2008, 07:47   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I'm in, although I'm a grumpy old man, I'm willing to learn, again and again and again

any other BHP'ians coming ?
Ajmat, you have to let me know for sure if you want to do this.

You can call me on 9448479703 for further details.
cheers:
Old 4th May 2008, 22:20   #64
Team-BHP Support

1:1 with Jagat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagat nanjappa View Post
Ajmat, you have to let me know for sure if you want to do this.

You can call me on 9448479703 for further details.
cheers:
I had already registered when I wrote that!

Anyway, lets shoot to the 3rd May. Arrived at FRK's works at the appointed time. Jagat was waiting and ready to go. Very approachable person and I felt at ease with him immediately. He reminded me a lot of our favourite old man though am not sure whether he dissolves in a single malt or screams at a capsicum. I was the only attendee as the other participant was stuck due to a bus breakdown.

He took me through the car preparation, talking about the basics. In order to learn more, you need to ask the questions rather than expect gyan to be spouted out. The basic MAI requirements are clearly laid out. Once this is complete, you have a good idea about the back end of rallying, it ain't about jump in and drive, there is a lot more behind this, from the choice of navigator to the level of detail to be collected on a recce.

Folded myself into the Esteem, the roll cage eliminated my need to practice yoga and we proceeded to some empty land in Whitefield which Jagat has access too.

Parked the car and we marked out the proposed track which was reversible. A lot of kids looking after cows and also from a nearby Madrassa came to look and enjoy.

Then, it was the driver's seat - "keep it in second and get familiar"
I got going but my mistakes were getting evident, was trying to control the car into the corner, too little use of brakes, gripping the wheel too tight, not compensating for sand traps ...probably a whole lot more.

I was then asked to use the gears, I had focussed on the track and not really focussed on the car, also I was being too kind to the car (not mine!). Jagat the took over and showed me how it must be done. I could see the amount of dust thrown up comparatively.

Got back behind the wheel and improvements happened but inconsistently. I was still not braking early enough and too enthu into the corners. Additionally, I turned into early.

Stopped for a breather. We then walked around the track and I was instructed on how it should be done and what I was doing. Got back in and I did reasonably better but I needed to take a wider line and be more consistent with the throttle.

Another break, and another few rounds. There were inconsistencies, I was conscious of my mistakes but when thinking of one, I made another. (old man can be heard saying "you think too much" !)

We then reversed the the direction and got going, this time, I was giving it more stick. I was getting caught out on the slower bends but my overall speeds were higher. Jagat was upfront that i had a long way to go in improving my consistency before I learnt more.

I came out learning much more on the need to be consistent and the fact that I am too aggressive on corners. My steering control improved but my cornering lines need a rethink.

Anyway, thanks Jagat, for being upfront, patient and approachable.

Did I get my money's worth ? Well I know, no other place where you get the attention of a major national rally champ for a full 5 hours who lets you push hard from start. You also get clear feedback, not a feelgood report to justify the fee paid.

Last edited by ajmat : 4th May 2008 at 22:21.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2008, 06:59   #65
BHPian

Ajit,

I like the old man bit in your report. I am quite used to it though, as i grew up with grey hair and was referred to as a old man since birth. Hahaha

Anyways it was nice to have you at the school and appreciate your enthu.
cheers:
Old 6th May 2008, 10:48   #66
Team-BHP Support

i think you should meet with old man of the forum also, lot of similarities starting from looks
Old 11th July 2008, 14:21   #67
BHPian

Hi Jagat Sir[Solberg of india],

Sorry, for my late post. Please let me know when are you conducting the next batch and is there an age limit for enrolling into the school? Please do let me know.

Regards,
Sajan
Old 17th July 2008, 07:48   #68
BHPian

There is no age limit to attend the rally school. You have to be able to drive a car for starters. You can register with us with your prefered dated so that we can try and accomadate you accordingly.Keep in mind the monsoon.
Old 17th July 2008, 17:03   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagat nanjappa View Post
I will be posting the pics after this weekend's classes.
Will also post the first batch's suggestions and experiences in their own words.
Any automobile related journalists on this forum can get in touch with me. We are going to have a day dedicated for them at our school,for a first hand experience.

cant wait to hear more from you.
Old 11th October 2008, 15:33   #70
BHPian

i missed out last time

Sir,

Seems i am late in here. would you conduct any classes in future for beginners?

Regards

Ashok
Old 12th October 2008, 06:04   #71
BHPian

holla!

i wonder if the offer is still on. Finally thinking of trying to learn it professionally.. May I call the number for a chat with your due permission.
Old 12th October 2008, 09:09   #72
Senior - BHPian

First off: Welcome aboard Sir, I too have been following your exploits on 2 wheels over the last decade. Nice to have experts here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I'm in, although I'm a grumpy old man, I'm willing to learn, again and again and again

any other BHP'ians coming ?
Ajit, you and a grumpy old man eh: LOL

Jagat Sir, Is there any minimum number for the course or will you do a one off?

Maybe will call you soon for the details!
Old 13th October 2008, 21:54   #73
BHPian

hi jagat. welcome . althought slightly OT . i would really appriciate it if u could post some of ur pictures during the time u used to rally on the RD350 . please , i as well as alot of us would be very grateful if u indulged this request of mine/ours .

thanx

Note from Mod : Please take the time to type out your posts in full words as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid the use of SMS language (u = you, dat = that, etc), and please use spaces only after punctuation marks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th October 2008 at 16:48. Reason: Please see note in post.
Old 17th December 2008, 05:24   #74
BHPian

Sir as per our telecon im still awaiting tentative dates. Cant control my anxiety no more
Old 6th January 2009, 15:09   #75
BHPian

rally school information

hi jagat.i would like to know more about your rally school program.i am a novice driver and would like to get into rallying in india.for quite sometime i have been looking for a rally school in india but could not fine one and i didnt want to go abroad.looking forward to your helpful advice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks