Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2010, 20:04   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Rallystar - thank you for your comments and recognition of my capability. Yes, I remember events that I like to remember and I have no hesitancy in stating so on an open forum. The reason is that I actually like to be with cars, I actually like to work on cars, I am very comfortable when I am with cars because this is what I love to do in my life. I do not know your age but if you are very young, I would tell you that you guys have missed out on the true enjoyment that an automotive event like the Himalayan Rally rally brought to me and my colleagues at that time. Today everything is google and U tube, which gives you information but it does not bring out the sheer joy of actually living an event on the ground.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:38   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I would tell you that you guys have missed out on the true enjoyment that an automotive event like the Himalayan Rally rally brought to me and my colleagues at that time. Today everything is google and U tube, which gives you information but it does not bring out the sheer joy of actually living an event on the ground.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
+1 to that Behramji.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 24th June 2010, 09:45   #183
BHPian

Hi Behram,
I totally agree with you.I still remember the days I used to bunk school and college to watch the K 1000 and rallye de Endurance.If you remember they were a 3 day affair then with a night halt at Goa.The sound of the fiats and an occasional amby and then the dolphins of vicky chandok, kiran modi was amazing.I also saw dilip dessai from pune first in his self prepared fiats and then the contessa which he used to rally against the then newly introduced gypsys.I think somewhere in 1990 the rallye de endurance had 2 simultaneous starts in Mumbai and banglore with a regroup at starline in Belgaum ( deepak chopras place ?), a ss at belgaum golf course and night halt at goa.There were close to 40 entries with gypsys, M800 , 118 ne's, fiats and dolphin.please post pictures if you have any.Those were the days,
cheers
rallystar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2010, 00:46   #184

Old 11th July 2010, 18:33   #185
Senior - BHPian

@Cyrus43: Awesome!!!

Those were the days of the Himalayan Rally. A true test of man, machine and above all character. I'm not sure whether the raid can ever recreate that charm.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 11th July 2010 at 18:45.
Old 4th August 2010, 09:50   #186
BHPian

My cousin used to follow rallying very keenly, so used to buy Car and Bike international for a very long time and he has kept them in decent condition as well. Shot some photos from these magazines.

Image source: Car and Bike International and The Indian Auto Journal
Attached Thumbnails
Himalayan Rallying Experiences - A Flashback-dsc_1961.jpg  

Himalayan Rallying Experiences - A Flashback-dsc_1995.jpg  

darshan.ckm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2010, 11:15   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darshan.ckm View Post
My cousin used to follow rallying very keenly, so used to buy Car and Bike international for a very long time and he has kept them in decent condition as well. Shot some photos from these magazines.

Darshan,

Thanks for posting the pictures.

The "Bawas" did a good job in that rally in the M&M

The Gallant - Mitsubishi Rallyart, was driven by none other than Kenjiro Shinosuka, who won the Rally on several ocassions.

C&B brought back a lot of memories.

Ram
Old 4th August 2010, 15:56   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Ah 1988.....this rally was the one where comic scene happened near Ranikhet which resulted in cancelling of two legs. Ranikhet-Lansdwone and Lansdwone-Mussorie.

At a TC just outside one village near Ranikhet a huge crowd had gathered to watch the rally action which was to start around sundown. The first few cars had reached near the TC and were waiting for their time to check in.

Seeing all the foreign cars the crowd ran towards them. The top rally guys panicked seeing the crowd surge towards them and did a quick turn around and ran back to Ranikhet. By this time confusion had prevailed and in the ensuing chaos this and the subsequent leg were cancelled.

I think we were competitor #82 in the same rally in a old model M800!!
Old 4th August 2010, 18:56   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darshan.ckm View Post
Think I remember reading that one. Was that Kenjiro Shinozuka in the Mitsubishi Galant VR4?
Old 5th August 2010, 00:44   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Think I remember reading that one. Was that Kenjiro Shinozuka in the Mitsubishi Galant VR4?
MP

See post 187 below . May be you missed it earlier.

Ram
Old 5th August 2010, 10:52   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Seeing all the foreign cars the crowd ran towards them. The top rally guys panicked seeing the crowd surge towards them and did a quick turn around and ran back to Ranikhet. By this time confusion had prevailed and in the ensuing chaos this and the subsequent leg were cancelled.

I think we were competitor #82 in the same rally in a old model M800!!
, I can imagine the situation. They might of thought they were being attacked, how wicked!

Any photos of your ride?
Old 5th August 2010, 18:10   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
MP
See post 187 below . May be you missed it earlier
Ram
I totally did. ALso remember watching it on 'world of sports' on Sunday evening.

IIRC, Rod Millen in a Mazda 323 also won it a few times.
Old 27th February 2012, 13:10   #193
Senior - BHPian

re: Himalayan Rallying Experiences - A Flashback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I do not know your age but if you are very young, I would tell you that you guys have missed out on the true enjoyment that an automotive event like the Himalayan Rally rally brought to me and my colleagues at that time.
Behram Dhabhar
Hi Behramji,

Sunil (Shanbouge) told me that you were there at the gathering of the Himalayan Rally "associates" in Mumbai recently.

Any pictures from that. It would be lovely to see how the guys are these days, when compared to the actual Rally days

Ram
Old 7th March 2012, 02:07   #194

Dear Behram,

Thank you for bringing in hystory. I was in 9th std during 86 rally, away in kerala. My friends uncle participated with his MM540 diesel and still remember how excited I was seeing it back home with Himalayan Rally stickers around. That was the only Himalayan rally car I have touched.
Old 3rd August 2013, 12:02   #195
BHPian

A few photographs of the Himalaya Rally passing through Nainital. My older brother is seen here! These were taken at KMVN TRC Tallital, where the cars used to stopover for maintenance and servicing. Incidentally, my father was the man who used to arrange the facilities for the purpose!
Attached Thumbnails
Himalayan Rallying Experiences - A Flashback-hcrally3.png  

Himalayan Rallying Experiences - A Flashback-hcrally2.jpg  

Himalayan Rallying Experiences - A Flashback-hmrally1.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks