View Poll Results: Which day
1st week Aug 14 41.18%
2nd week Aug 9 26.47%
Last week Aug 17 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2007, 19:31   #106
Senior - BHPian

All this is your choice. If you feel like belting your car around to get that special feeling, then you got to think of spending a little bit more in buying old tyres which will help keep your regular tyres good for your normal drives. Like MCL said, these tyres are good for 2/3 track days. So it is your call.
Old 26th July 2007, 19:48   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
slicks mentioned here are used tyres bought from your local tyre wallah. And yes, you get them in 15" too. LOL
Not exactly. Pls refer to my previous posts. The slicks do not have treads like the F1 tires and neither are they bald like drift tires. The tires are hard compound and have square block like treads. Will post pics tomorrow for better understanding.

These are available only in 185/65-R13 sizes (JK brand) and last for quite a number of laps on track. Mine were bought used and i had them for last track day, still got enuff tread for the upcoming one. Was told it was good for at least 100-150 laps of hard driving.

The ones you buy from the street - local tire walla, are not slicks, they are used tires with either retreading done or treads cut into them. I did look at quite a few last time with nitrous and they were not worth especially for track use considering the risks involved. IMO they wouldnt have lasted more than 20 laps. Thats why both nitrous and I bought used slicks. I paid around 800 for each tire and rim set prior to the March track day.
Old 26th July 2007, 23:03   #108
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

[quote=narayan;512944]mcl - i have some questions for u...[quote]

Alright lets begin.

Quote:
what are slicks ? my understanding is those flat "no tread" tires used in F-1....do u get such tires for indian road going cars also ?
The tires we get from JK are semi slicks. They have a thread pattern a bit different from other tires. They provide good grip. Thats about it. No, you don't get them for road going cars. You will be lucky to find them in the only size they are available.

Quote:
is it worthwhile to pay 4k for a set of slicks or a yokos already on my car will do ? is the wear and tear so huge to justify this additional investment?
Yes, specially if you have spent a bomb on a new set of tires that you want to last for atleast some more time. Normally 100kms on track is more like 2000kms on highways. Or close to it.

Quote:
also what could be potentially other damages to the car from ur experience on track days ( of course im not referring to toppling in which case i fairly understand what could be the damage
It all depends on the state of your car and how you tend to drive it. Most parts that could be affected are the tires, suspension and most importantly brake pad wear. If you drive sanely and not on the edge sliding and loosing the rear end your damages will be minimal to brake pad wear and tire wear. I have done 3 track days with my baleno and the only damage I have had is 1 set of brake pads and a couple of sets of tires. v1p3r's car is still running on the stock clutch and brake pads after having done 3 track days too. So it all depends on how you treat your car on track.

Quote:
just wanted to know what could potentially be the damage for a few laps on track !!
Like I have already mentioned it all depends on your driving.

Nitrous I checked with the track authorities. The club members fee is Rs. 600 per car and 1k for non-members. Also the track is free only on Saturday provided none of the bikers from Chennai turn up. However the track is free post noon both on Saturday and Sunday.

We have two choices. Either pay the fee per car and get on track hoping that no one else will accompany us. Or pray that the bikers take a day off on Saturday morning. Or we could hire the track for the whole day on Saturday If the numbers of participating members is good. I am yet to receive the details on the renting of track for a full day. Will post the details the moment I get them.

Confirmed members till now:

1. Vikram.
2. Ajmat.
3. fiery enzyme.
4. n_aditya.
5. warchild.
6. rdkarthik and maybe 2 more cars.
7. headers.
8. madan80.
9. brraj.
10. myself.

Sadly memo45_m is out of this one as he has a function to attend. And the person who started this thread is out too as he is shifting house. Trying to rope in a surprise for this track day, if everything goes as per planned I can see a lot of sore faces from those who might miss this chance. Keep your fingers crossed.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 26th July 2007 at 23:06.
Old 27th July 2007, 08:33   #109
Senior - BHPian

sat morning sounds good - we can reach the track around 11 - may be a small briefing session - where the newbies can be given some do's and dont's. MCL - maybe you can share some notes from KMS when u went.
that is if the bikers are there - else - we just hit the track!
Old 27th July 2007, 09:52   #110
BHPian

Sat looks good!!! I am planning to come with the car (All stock)
From what I read, I guess it is fine.

I plan to change to tubeless sometime later so I am fine with running on the stock Bridgestone (Tubed) for the track
Old 27th July 2007, 10:17   #111
BANNED

Seems like we are all good to go. All of you coming to the track kindly PM me with your contact numbers so that I can keep you guys updated. See you all on the 4th then.

Maybe this may help the newcomers. See if you can visualize and memorize the sequence of turns. Will go a long way in helping you judge the track better.

Old 27th July 2007, 14:08   #112
BANNED

Where is everybody? Just 10 confirmations?
Old 27th July 2007, 14:19   #113
Senior - BHPian

As promised, I am posting a sample picture of the semi-slicks that are generally used on the track.

Hope this gives a better idea of what we are talking about when we refer to racing slicks.

The tires are hard compound available ONLY in 185-65-R13 sizes and are TUBE TYPE tires.

P.S. They offer excellent grip but road noise is pretty high.

Last edited by n_aditya : 27th July 2007 at 14:20.
Old 27th July 2007, 15:21   #114
Senior - BHPian

Its 185/60/R13 dude.
Check properly.
Old 27th July 2007, 15:28   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Its 185/60/R13 dude. Check properly.
Thanks for the correction Nitrous. I wasnt too sure but something was tellin me it was 65. Anyway, thanks again for posting the right spec.
Old 27th July 2007, 20:38   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Where is everybody? Just 10 confirmations?

mcl - u can count me in - my contact # is 9940152484...

im yet to make up my mind on venturing into/onto the track...but im defenetly going to be there...
Old 28th July 2007, 00:02   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
mcl - i have some questions for u...
Rahul, you are missing my name. Please add my name to this list as well. I will be joining you folks.

Rahul, I have one question. My car has different set of tyres in the front and rear. Would that be major risk. I remember my service adviser telling me that because of two different set of tyres, the handling of my can be very unpredictable. I have Michelin Certis 195,70, R14 on the front and Pirelli City Net 175, 80, R14 on the rear.
Old 28th July 2007, 00:33   #118
Senior - BHPian

confirming my precence on satuday still not decided about going on track other than a few lazy runs

Last edited by bottle : 28th July 2007 at 00:34.
Old 28th July 2007, 01:17   #119
BHPian

So I'm Taking it that Aug 5th is the confirmed date?
Old 28th July 2007, 01:18   #120
BHPian

Sorry uh!!

Off Topic: Yay I'm a BHP ian now. No more annoying waiting time for posts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks