Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2007, 14:30   #46
Senior - BHPian

Even I am quite apprehensive as you are, but its a love hate relationship. I love the cars and the motorsports. But i do hate the extra pressure that falls on the depleting natural resources.
Old 23rd July 2007, 15:28   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
What next....a 'go-green' Honda F1 car with solar panels?!?
The day is not far I believe.
The SAE has started a Formula Hybrid competition alongside Formula SAE. Here is a link : Formula Hybrid

At this year's Formula Student competition there was a hydrogen powered car built by University of Hertfordshire racing alongside its petrol powered siblings.
It caught fire during the endurance race, imagine a hydrogen tank at 120bar pressure and I was only 50 feet away from the car.
Old 23rd July 2007, 15:36   #48
BHPian

hey himanshu! why dont you tell people to control their urges and make less babies?

population control will save environment more than banning such sports, right?

<scarcasm>
since we are at it, why dont you tell people to stop the tv shows?

oil consumed by the complete entertainment industry (including the shooting set, transport of crew, the actual tv sets that people buy etc etc) will be saved.

people in last century used to live happily without the saas babu crap.

fuel used to launch entertainment channel satellites will be saved.

since there will not be any demand for the channels, even the thousands of litres of fuel and energy used to melt metals to built satellites will be saved.

what else to ban?
(thinking...)

</scarcasm>
Old 23rd July 2007, 15:37   #49
Senior - BHPian

Umm,

Himanshu bhai, so are you walking now? With the long queue that's being formed, just put me up as nomination for your wheels
Old 23rd July 2007, 15:52   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I believe the engine sizes were reduced from 3L V10 to 2.4L V8 engines for this exact reason. to go green. This put an impetus on efficiency of the engine. The number of tyre changes was also limited to conserve resources. I believe this not only help reduce costs but was also a green movement.
now a discussion on ways to identify and address 'excessive wastage' (weird antics like F1 mandate weird phrases, don't they) is fruitful. and it's practical.

and i for one will not threaten to run over dear himanshu. his line of thinking is absolutely essential if there is to be a semblence of sense, and a modicum of responsibility in one's attitudes.
Old 23rd July 2007, 15:58   #51
BANNED

Cricket is the answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Everyone stand in line. I'm the first one a gets to kick himanshu.
and join you Robeen!
Some people never understand. Can't they watch cricket instead?
Old 23rd July 2007, 16:12   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
and join you Robeen!
Some people never understand. Can't they watch cricket instead?

You need to read my earlier posts wherein I have made amply clear that I am as much of a motorsport enthusiast as the next person. Not only have I been following F1 since 1988, but was a regular at Silverstone from 1988 to 1992 and also to Brands hatch for various other racing events. Not content with being a mute spectator, I have participated in BMW track days at brands hatch, driven single seater open wheeled formula vauxhalls in a racing environment and have done a three day rally driving course in Ford Sierra cosworth 4X4 in wales....all this while also holding an advanced british drivers licnese.

So I can safely assume that I have more international motorsport experience (spectator and participant) than over 90% members in this forum.

It is a different matter that I am equally passionate about cricket and rugby, having represented my school in both these sports.
Old 23rd July 2007, 16:30   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu
You need to read my earlier posts wherein I have made amply clear that I am as much of a motorsport enthusiast as the next person. Not only have I been following F1 since 1988, but was a regular at Silverstone from 1988 to 1992 and also to Brands hatch for various other racing events. Not content with being a mute spectator, I have participated in BMW track days at brands hatch, driven single seater open wheeled formula vauxhalls in a racing environment and have done a three day rally driving course in Ford Sierra cosworth 4X4 in wales....all this while also holding an advanced british drivers licnese.
And now u're possessed by some evil spirit!Yikes!
Come over to a track day ,and we will do some rituals to send the evil spirits away.And U can be one of us again!
Old 23rd July 2007, 17:41   #54
Senior - BHPian

If 10% of the population car pooled one a week, you will save a lot lot more petrol than from banning F1 racing.

Motorsports is also a test bed for high technology that improves perfomance and safety of cars that you and me drive.
Old 23rd July 2007, 17:50   #55
BANNED

Still, I will call Robeeeen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
You need to read my earlier posts wherein I have made amply clear that I am as much of a motorsport enthusiast ............................
So I can safely assume that I have more international motorsport experience (spectator and participant) than over 90% members in this forum.....................

It is a different matter that I am equally passionate about cricket and rugby, having represented my school in both these sports.
But still I want to join Robeeen. When are you coming this side?

Last edited by speedzak : 23rd July 2007 at 17:50. Reason: Spelling Misttake
Old 24th July 2007, 08:12   #56
BHPian

how about directing all the brickbats to US of A - towards all the imbeciles who drive their V8,V10 Pick up trucks -solo & with no loads

am sure the environmental effects of F1 would be piddly when compared to that of these gas guzzling monsters !
Old 24th July 2007, 09:32   #57
BHPian

Quote:
So what really is the use of motosport?!!!!
Maybe to test oil, in just another extreme environment. You have test mules doing that from the Sahara to Alaska
Maybe to test tyres. Who uses slick F1 tyres on road cars- I can buy this argument for rally cars to an extent though
Maybe engine development. Again, thats what test mules and Dynos are for
Maybe aerodynamics development. wind tunnels/test mules
So that they can use all of these in their road going supercars.read the above....
Its a sport, and a business.
Test Mules also burn fuel. Dont they? And also factor in the LONG time needed for any results to come out. F1 or other motorsporting areas act as an ACCELERATED test bench for the manufacturer.

Yes. We dont use slicks on the road. Agreed. But what is just the design configuration of tyre. Manyfacturers again get an EXTREME and ACCELERATED test bench for every new experiment with tyre compounds.

Engine Developement. Test Mules are boring stuff because you CANNOT judge your level of competitiveness and Self Appraise your R&D prowness unless you get to compare with other competent manufacturers On a COMMOM GROUND and PLATFORM.

Wind Tunnels are good. But you cant be changing Air density and composition so fast in a tunnel. Neither can you effectively stimulate effects of air as other car pass you by at same speed or you chase them or they chase you. DEVELOPEMENT is done in the tunnel. TESTING is still left for the tracks.
Old 24th July 2007, 10:46   #58
Senior - BHPian

hang on a sec.

Himanshu bhai, why do we all use ACs in our office, not air coolers that take like one tenth the energy. Colossal waste, no?

A debate is good to create, but let's face it - why blame motorsports when overall our lifestyle is to blame. If each F1 fan switched off their AC while watching - and opened the windows instead, that would be WAY more energy saving

Or if the people going to Eden Gardens, chose to cycle instead of *gasp* took their cars. Like Zappo's sig says - some points shouldn't be pushed .. beyond the edge. Why stop at motorsports?

And anyways, we are the change we want in the world. Peace.
Old 24th July 2007, 14:49   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Everyone stand in line. I'm the first one a gets to kick himanshu.
rtech if you are through can i have a go at him ???

on a more serious note, motorsport as much is about speed, thrill. . it is more importantly about the HUMAN SPRIT and ATTITUDE to keep on grownig, making good things better. . the constant endeavour to push on further. that is what differentiates us humans from other animals and once we are in front of the world, we want the whole world to see it. that is the reason why we race, try be be better than other. . .
Old 24th July 2007, 15:56   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
for each race day, all cars combined use approx 6100 ltrs of fuel. this is just for the race day. then you have qualifying, friday testing, midweek testing for hundereds of laps by each team at their bases etc. and this is just F1!
how much do you think an aircraft consumes? approx about 100KL - so next time you think about flying to meet your friend - because you got a cheap ticket - think twice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks