Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2007, 16:44   #61
Senior - BHPian

All F1 cars in the whole calender(that's 17-19 races) consume much less fuel than what it takes a 747 to go from Mumbai to Newyork,Enough said.
Old 24th July 2007, 16:45   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
How about the felling of trees for cricket bats and wickets. Or the killing of animals for leather ba lls.
you forgot another point here, the amount of electricity spent by the viewers in watching live telecasts and the other junk that they feed and moreover its an entire day event and other cases 5 days...should this sport be banned as well
Old 24th July 2007, 18:07   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
All F1 cars in the whole calender(that's 17-19 races) consume much less fuel than what it takes a 747 to go from Mumbai to Newyork,Enough said.
guys lets not jump the gun...the point that our man is trying tomake is . . .RACING IS AN INDULGENCE and the above mentioned reason is a NECESSITY.

lets compare apples to apples.
Old 24th July 2007, 18:31   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
So what really is the use of motosport?!!!!
Its a sport and is as useful as any other sport.

Apart from that, motorsports drive huge amount of R&D effort in automobile world. Motorsports provides scope and test bed for many technologies which are latter used in normal production vehicles.

And if we want to save fuel, then investing and working on alternate energy sources would be much better bet than banning motorsports.

Morotsports or not, fact is, fossil fuel is going to end some day.
Old 24th July 2007, 20:06   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
fossil fuel is going to end some day.

and yes with races and all it will finish faster.
Old 24th July 2007, 20:41   #66
Senior - BHPian

So why play any sport,all sports waste money and fuels.The fans who goto watch them do travel in cars and planes and trains and what not,all consume fossil fuels.

The point is that it is pointless to single out motorsport as a waste.
Old 24th July 2007, 20:47   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
and yes with races and all it will finish faster.
True. But there are many other things that contribute to this in much bigger ways than motorsports.
e.g. inefficient public transport system in any big city will burn more fossil fuel than entire F1 calendar year.
Old 24th July 2007, 21:09   #68
BHPian

I guess Max mosely is thinking on the same lines as Himanshu. One of the proposals for F1 post 2010 is to have V6 engines with turbo and running on biofuel.. The rpm to be limited to 10000 and engines to last 5 races.

Damn..the rules are changing to make it more and more boring. I remember watching F1 in early 90's with no pit lane speed limiters, V12 engines and slick tyres.

If this continues, there's no doubt that Motogp will become more and more popular. You already have more overtakings in a race of motogp than whole of F1 season and ...Himanshu...they do it on 21 litres of fuel for 100 odd km race!!

All said and done I would not want to miss a single race of F1 come what may. I thought that I would never watch it once Senna died but could never keep away from it. World goes on and so does the sport...what ever be the rules.
Old 24th July 2007, 21:10   #69
BHPian

I guess Max mosely is thinking on the same lines as Himanshu. One of the proposals for F1 post 2010 is to have V6 engines with turbo and running on biofuel.. The rpm to be limited to 10000 and engines to last 5 races.

Damn..the rules are changing to make it more and more boring. I remember watching F1 in early 90's with no pit lane speed limiters, V12 engines and slick tyres.

If this continues, there's no doubt that Motogp will become more and more popular. You already have more overtakings in a race of motogp than whole of F1 season and ...Himanshu...they do it on 21 litres of fuel for 100 odd km race!!

All said and done I would not want to miss a single race of F1 come what may. I thought that I would never watch it once Senna died but could never keep away from it. World goes on and so does the sport...what ever be the rules.
Old 24th July 2007, 21:11   #70
Senior - BHPian

How does space travel help us?!
Old 24th July 2007, 21:23   #71
Senior - BHPian

Wothout motorsport, there wouldn't be competition. Without competition, there wouldn't be need for improving something that is perceived as already perfect. Without improvement, there wouldn't be evolution. Look at the speeds made by racecars of yesteryear and then look at what normal cars do today. Motorsport is instant gratification that things are working!

And one 747's stomachful of fuel wasted is nothing considering how many 747's are actually in use on a daily basis serving noble causes. Thats very little for indulgence.

But Motorsport going back to basics, can always be questioned. When you can't use Variable Geometry Intakes, maybe Variable valve timing and obviously turbo too. But again serves the purpose of finding means to improve the basics.

Last edited by 1100D : 24th July 2007 at 21:26.
Old 24th July 2007, 21:37   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
factor in races like the GP2, f3000, A1 GP, various touring car championships, Moto GP, le mans, indy 500.....well, u get the picture!
just imagine the kind of fuel that is used every weekend to satisfy teh egos of a few people and to provide viewing pleasure to motorsport fans (Me included!).

Himanshu
I totally agree with you buddy................esp since you havn't mentioned WRC there

I am okay if you ban all the above races , not interested at all..........its the WRC that I find to be "real" driving
Old 25th July 2007, 12:02   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
guys lets not jump the gun...the point that our man is trying tomake is . . .RACING IS AN INDULGENCE and the above mentioned reason is a NECESSITY.

lets compare apples to apples.
Well, in that case - it is. but so is hunting- when one mercilessly kills animals.
Old 25th July 2007, 12:18   #74
Senior - BHPian

This debate will never end and so will this thread.
Old 25th July 2007, 14:24   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Whats wrong?! They pay for their petrol too Although, its quite scary when you think about it this way.

So what really is the use of motosport?!!!!
Maybe to test oil, in just another extreme environment.
Maybe to test tyres.
Maybe engine development.
Maybe aerodynamics development.
So that they can use all of these in their road going supercars.
Its a sport, and a business.
AFAIK, Formula racing gave only one thng to the currently available cars(...read as few cars), thats the paddle shift to the steering. All that after so many years of R&D. Yeah!, a day might come, when the production models may incorporate the carbon fiber body!, but looking at the number of years the Formula racing been around, and the money spent, the contribution to the development of the production models is very less.

P.S. i think the Le-mans contribute to the development of the production models e.g. Group A.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks