Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2007, 14:31   #76
Team-BHP Support

The ceramic brakes are available on road cars. they are from F1. Traction control is from F1.

Engine designs on road cars are also based on F1 engine development.
Old 25th July 2007, 16:34   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
AFAIK, Formula racing gave only one thng to the currently available cars(...read as few cars), thats the paddle shift to the steering. All that after so many years of R&D. Yeah!, a day might come, when the production models may incorporate the carbon fiber body!, but looking at the number of years the Formula racing been around, and the money spent, the contribution to the development of the production models is very less.
sorry to say but your knowledge about F1 is poor at best.
Old 25th July 2007, 19:35   #78
Senior - BHPian

Folks enough about depleting oil reserves already. I hope the reserves run out sooner than later. Maybe then our governments and car makers will start supporting efficient and cleaner technologies that have been around since the 1970's.

All hail to motorsports. Burn those damn oil reserves.

Goddy I'd like to borrow your truck. Would like to drive down to wherever this guy is and run him over.

Poetic justice is what I call it. hehehe.

PS: Also for environmental people on this forum. Why dont you guys drive Reva's? I really need an answer for this.

Last edited by vikram_d : 25th July 2007 at 19:38.
Old 25th July 2007, 19:45   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
guys lets not jump the gun...the point that our man is trying tomake is . . .RACING IS AN INDULGENCE and the above mentioned reason is a NECESSITY.

lets compare apples to apples.
If this is the logic to compare apples with apples then all sports are indulgence. As almost everybody here has pointed out with this logic all sports should be banned.
Old 25th July 2007, 20:05   #80
Senior - BHPian

first of all hinamshu, stopping of motersports will not significantly affect the oil reserves ,we might maximum be able to save 1 yr or 2.but remember motorsports is not just an area of an enthusiast,it is also a money minting machine.lets admit it,nobody on this planet is foolish to spend that money on motor sport just for thrills,there are others who make business out of it.
the money made from this can contribute in that country's development and also help the country to spend the money on the research of substitute green fuel...so you see there is alot of gain in thischeers:
Old 25th July 2007, 20:11   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
sorry to say but your knowledge about F1 is poor at best.
I agree, i have very limited knowledge about F1, It would be great if you elaborate or give some examples with respect to your comment.

Thats the reason why I am in the discussion on this subject.

thank you.
raj.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 25th July 2007 at 20:13.
Old 25th July 2007, 20:50   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Folks enough about depleting oil reserves already. I hope the reserves run out sooner than later. Maybe then our governments and car makers will start supporting efficient and cleaner technologies that have been around since the 1970's.

All hail to motorsports. Burn those damn oil reserves.

Goddy I'd like to borrow your truck. Would like to drive down to wherever this guy is and run him over.

Poetic justice is what I call it. hehehe.

PS: Also for environmental people on this forum. Why dont you guys drive Reva's? I really need an answer for this.
Vikram, while you are at it, you might want to fix an appointment with Mr Ken Livingstone, the mayor of london. He has proposed a congestion charge of Pound Sterling 25/day for 4x4s and other 'gas guzzling' vehicles within London city limits(for all other vehicles it is 5-8 pounds daily). Pity those folks....
Old 25th July 2007, 21:55   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
It would be great if you elaborate or give some examples with respect to your comment.

Thats the reason why I am in the discussion on this subject.
Carbon Fibre is already used in Car construction,especially sports car.The safety tube in sports cars is baed on f1 design.
Aerodynamic effeciency is being improved using F1 design cues.The tyre developement in F1 does pass onto road cars.Ceramic brakes,carbon fibre brakes,Semi automatic gearbox, 6,7 speed auto transmission, etc etc all came from F1.
Old 26th July 2007, 09:38   #84
BHPian

I too think of the monumental waste during F1 races and also aero shows. However, if you stretch this argument, cricketers are wasting fuel by traveling to far away places to play with equipment created out of felled trees. This is a very tough argument and will have its pros/cons.
A plausible solution would be to apply environment-leisure tax or something where things of this kind that are for pleasure are taxed more so you have more money to try attempting some recovery.
Old 26th July 2007, 10:53   #85
Senior - BHPian

For all those who subscrbe to/read Autocar India, please have a look at the July 2007 issue. In that , in the article about changing rules of F1, Max Mosely has admitted that F1 needs to be more environmentally conscious and socially relevant.

Also, it is mentioned that almost all teams pay only lip service to environmental issues and there are quotes attributed to team bosses to the effect, that Most F1 technologies are not relevant for road cars anyways.

Enuf Said! I rest my case.

P.S. I am really amazed to see the lack of concern for the environment on this forum, when the whole world is waking up to global warming. For my part, i have started contributing by walking to work and not driving- my office is 1.5 kms from my house.
Old 26th July 2007, 11:07   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
P.S. I am really amazed to see the lack of concern for the environment on this forum, when the whole world is waking up to global warming. For my part, i have started contributing by walking to work and not driving- my office is 1.5 kms from my house.
This isnt true completely, just look at the number of replies(84) this thread had, you cant judge the entire forum on this subject. You can also have a look at the number of views(slightly above 1000, this number also includes, multiple IPs by the same user).

I am sure there would lot number of takers for the hybrid vehicles(if they are priced correctly.) from the team-bhp including me. I think the government should also encourage by import duty exemption on hybrid cars or cars running on clean fuels like bio-diesel, LPG, CNG.

Thats a great thing buddy, walking to the office just to contribute for the cause.

Also i once heard from the discovery channel that a car consumes enough petrol for the first half mile that it would be required to run for 5 miles on a cold start.

raj.
Old 26th July 2007, 14:22   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
P.S. I am really amazed to see the lack of concern for the environment on this forum, when the whole world is waking up to global warming.
There is no lack of concern,your being wrong in singling out motorsport as a waste,what about those builders who are cutting forest like there is no tomorrow to build huge industrial and commercial spaces.

Global warming cannot be stopped by individuals or small groups alone but by the collective effort of Industrial gaints and companies together and saddest thing is most are not bothered.Japanese know that the whale population in on the verge of extintion but do they stop.No,they will hunt them to extintion because they love soups.

I will give you a classic example.Everyone is on the bandwagon to buy electric vehicles,the plugin type runabouts,but do they understand that the electricity they use also require burning fossil fuels to be generated and those pollute much more than the cars themselves.Elecricity looks pollution free, but do they know how its generated.Less than 20% of worlds electricity is generated by natural energy sources.

Also your office is 1.5km away,not all are that lucky.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 26th July 2007 at 14:23.
Old 26th July 2007, 15:59   #88
BHPian

guys one simple question to all who want motorsports to stop.
i don't ask you not to use vehicles for transportation. but i have few questions:
1) How many times do you use public transport or do car pooling to office.
2) Do all of you use ur vehicles which are very fuel efficient...i think there are bikes that provide nearly 100 kms (atleast what co's claim). how many of you guys use them.
3) How many of you just don't take your cars for a drive, though its of pleasure and not a necessity?

One more thing, i don't do any of the above, use my car as any other normal guy would do, but only place i try to save fuel is by using cycle for all my needs including pleasure within 2 kms and bike for office. This is not out saving environment, but just to save my pocket from draining and also for physical fitness.
Am not saying that i am right / wrong, but its just what i do.
Old 26th July 2007, 16:11   #89
Team-BHP Support

Guys, lets not jump on Himanshu. He does not want motorsport to end per se. He is simply questioning the current scenario of the sport and how it should look towards becoming more responsible to the environment.

It is better that we do something voluntarily while we have the chance rather than be forced to by some Government who doesn't know the first thing about the sport.
Old 27th July 2007, 19:41   #90
BHPian

why do we spend millions and millions on cricket/football/tennis or any other sport for that matter?

why do we spend money on music/movies.
. because we have the ability to enjoy ourselves once in a while when we aren't blowing each other up.

i like watching formula 1, it charges me up and i feel good. the same can be said about every living human on earth with one sport or another.

i'd rather people stayed at home and consumed a kilowatt of electricity by watching an f1 race where 600 litres of fuel is used up by a team in a single weekend, than go and blow up a building filled with teenagers in the name of some religion.

my point is that we've evolved beyond finding enjoyment in the lesser things in life, that might be a sad thing to accept but it's a fact. get over it.

oh and f1 is planning to become very environemt friendly by 2011, biofuel and v6 engines (yuck)

sorry for my rant, if it offended any tree huggers. it's friday night and i'm in front of my computer.. what a waste

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks