Team-BHP - Drag Racing - Tips, Tricks and Good to know info.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Indian Motorsport (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-motorsport/)
-   -   Drag Racing - Tips, Tricks and Good to know info. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-motorsport/27288-drag-racing-tips-tricks-good-know-info.html)

Hi folks,

As most of you may be aware, Chennai is hosting the 1/8th mile Official Drag meet on Aug 12th.

Linky : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor-...-official.html

I would like to be well equipped (in terms of techniques and tips) for the drag considering its my first time. I am not aiming for a win (way too early for that :p ), but a decent timing.

I have an esteem MPFI with a 4x1 race spec header and free flow exhaust. The headers kick in at around 4000RPM. Also have an OE K&N air filter.

So experienced folks like psycho, riteshTheWolf, etc, please pour in ur advice.

1. What RPM must i dump the clutch at, when moving from standstill?

2. Do i need to have tires with minimal tread as more traction can slow the car down? can i instead use racing slicks (like in the race esteems) with more air pressure to reduce contact area?

3. What wear and tear is expected and on what parts?
I mean is it gonna be minimal, considering my clutch is almost brand new. Would my driveshaft snap? etc etc.

4. Changing gears - Do i have to lift my foot off the gas completely and bang the lever (powershift) into the next gear or shift before the foot is completely off?

my questions may sound a lil stupid but please explain like I'm a novice. :) Any other pointers are also welcome. Since my knowledge is limited, so are the questions.

Lookin forward to the advice and tips.

P.S. Mods, kindly move this to the appropriate section if posted wrongly. Thanks.

Ha Ha, you are asking people to give out their secrets!! Google is your friend and there are a lot of articles on launching front wheel drive cars.

Replies inline from an amature.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_aditya (Post 524971)
1. What RPM must i dump the clutch at, when moving from standstill?

You dont dump the clutch unless you have absolutely rock solid performance ones, keep the revs to around 3k and dump it but with precision progression.

Some say you will fry the clutch if you slip it too much, but if you have long enough of experience driving a car, you will know what is good and what will harm you.

Idea is best possible ACCELERATION, when you wheel spin and/or drag the clutch you are LOOSING time, so its a final balance one needs to prefect and very hard to explain. Yes some practice and getting familiar with the other side of your ride helps.

2. Do i need to have tires with minimal tread as more traction can slow the car down? can i instead use racing slicks (like in the race esteems) with more air pressure to reduce contact area?

Again are you a pro or an amature dragster? If latter dont bother too much

I mean is it gonna be minimal, considering my clutch is almost brand new. Would my driveshaft snap? etc etc.

On a stock car NO. Yes if you do loads of practice launches with half clutch/slipping/dragging yes you will fry your clutch a lil bit, and NOT advised

4. Changing gears - Do i have to lift my foot off the gas completely and bang the lever (powershift) into the next gear or shift before the foot is completely off?

Again use the technique which your are most comfortable with (read fastetst possible by you), if you have time, find a good lonely stretch and practice a lil, it helps. Though on the actual drag day ADRENALIN will overtake common sense, trust me.

my questions may sound a lil stupid but please explain like I'm a novice. :) Any other pointers are also welcome. Since my knowledge is limited, so are the questions.

Lookin forward to the advice and tips.

I aint a professional either, but dont go too technical and me from the old school of racing still believe in the drivers capability to a great extent.

Yes this will take some time to perfect, take it in the right spirit (read as not alcohol) you are doing it for FUN and just enjoy the experience.

In motor sport no matter how skilled you are, resources count. There will be someone else who will be able to spent couple of 1000's more than you can and will be faster by fraction of seconds. So dont get disheartened, just participate, its CLEAN and GOOD FUN. Then figure it out post drag.

Hope all the gyan helped you a lil.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_aditya (Post 524971)

1. What RPM must i dump the clutch at, when moving from standstill? Common Sense will tell you

2. Do i need to have tires with minimal tread as more traction can slow the car down? can i instead use racing slicks (like in the race esteems) with more air pressure to reduce contact area? Yeah, change back to 155/80/13 if you can.

I mean is it gonna be minimal, considering my clutch is almost brand new. Would my driveshaft snap? etc etc. If you are worried about your brand new clutch, do not participate.

4. Changing gears - Do i have to lift my foot off the gas completely and bang the lever (powershift) into the next gear or shift before the foot is completely off? Common Sense again, you will be surprised how much you can achieve with common sense.

my questions may sound a lil stupid but please explain like I'm a novice. :)

I am a novice too, but these tips should help you perform, else give the car to me & I will show you in real time.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 525104)
I am a novice too, but these tips should help you perform, else give the car to me & I will show you in real time.:)

Yes common sense will help BUT dude dont go 155 on front, u will wheel spin to glory even on a stock car, this is drag not rallying on ice, 175 or 185 are ideal on an stock esteem, rear yes you can keep a thinner profile. ie if you feel a contact patch difference of few mm will make a difference stupid: To add to this, race esteem tyres are fine, dont go deflating or inflating them too much

cheap mods you can try:
remove air filter from the box for the drag, assumption ur not using any k&n or green and stuff ;)
try loosing some weight by stripping the inards, including your spare wheel and rear and passenger seats
STP Octane booster, use lil, again careful dont go overboard or you will land up with negative effect

ps: All my answers are based on the fact that someone requires help in participating, with bare minimum mods and time in hand.

155 on fronts, be ready to slip your clutch 100m or so.

Listen to Jaggu, he did a 17.xx run with the AC on, in an Ikon! He knows what it takes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r (Post 525145)
155 on fronts, be ready to slip your clutch 100m or so.

Listen to Jaggu, he did a 17.xx run with the AC on, in an Ikon! He knows what it takes.

lol again stupid: dont listen to me or anything, but yes will support the passion if someone has it, for the love of the sportz.

And adios for today, have an early morn tomorrow

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1100D (Post 524975)
Ha Ha, you are asking people to give out their secrets!! Google is your friend and there are a lot of articles on launching front wheel drive cars.

I'm not asking people to reveal secrets. I am just asking very basic questions on how to launch etc.

P.S. Google of course, but i wanted specific replies based on people's real experiences.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 525104)
else give the car to me.

Thats never gonna happen john.

Thanks for the replies jaggu.

Jaggu that was a good way of explaining things.

1) Yes you need to launch just before the green light comes on (saves you on the RT) and just after the 3rd yellow.

2) Drive how you would normally accelerate to test your car (trust me all the practice goes down the drain once the adrenalin kicks in)

3) Never over rev on a launch until your car has traction control

4) You might misshift if you are not familiar with flat shifting (shifting without lifting off the accelerator)

5) Esteems - 175 on the front are the best would reccomend 26 psi, slicks would defn be a better choice

nJoy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psycho (Post 525876)
trust me all the practice goes down the drain once the adrenalin kicks in

Or you could just practice and practice for months, at every traffic signal, every empty road, every junction, every parking lot. And buy shares in a clutch company.

Aditya, nice to know that you are doing the required homework. Appreciate the effort. :Cheering:

I also had similar doubts and was wondering whom to ask. Now that you have opened a thread, would be helpful to me too.

I seriously hope someone is going to take videos of the event for newbies (to dragging) like us. This is one event that I would regret not being able to see. :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by supremeBaleno (Post 525983)
This is one event that I would regret not being able to see.

Biju, i thought u were gonna be around to give me moral support. :Shockked:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/523566-post28.html

Ok folks, How many of you think Drag racing is kind of boring? Look at the fun you had at the track day, isn't it more complete?

Its both very different kind of fun and sport, stakes are higher with just one chance and less than 20 secs in all, to prove what you and your machine can do.

Lets not digress from the topic here ;)

What are the entry requirements for a official drag race???Also is a drag license from MAI mandatory??