Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2007, 01:41   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Ray, I will look into the issue with the fibering part in PS Class. Will have to talk to all the tuners in different cities before I make a final call.

Quote:
The Zen 1450cc is a total bummer dude.
I didn't get you.

Quote:
Indian open should permit two drivers.
I thought of this too. But in case of a knockout tournament, if two drivers from the same car win a race how will you pair them up then if they are in the top 3? This is one thing that I couldn't find a solution to.
Old 24th August 2007, 01:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Maybe thats why you asked for a fee to help me write the SR?
IIRC, you asked me to work with you on this, since you intend it to be a profit-making venture.

Anyway, all the best with it.
Old 24th August 2007, 02:40   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I thought of this too. But in case of a knockout tournament, if two drivers from the same car win a race how will you pair them up then if they are in the top 3? This is one thing that I couldn't find a solution to.
I don't know how good is this solution, but the winners of the tournament and knocked out be the cars.
So if Car A gets knocked out both drivers get knocked out.
So a car may have 2 drivers, but its a car vs car competition. Something on these lines.
Old 24th August 2007, 06:38   #19
BHPian

The Zen1450 cc rule is a total bummer i am sorry, If not for the Indian open they would have no other category. So i thought if in case there are not enough e-zens, you could club them with the upto 1450 class. When we say not enough we are talking about two e-zens (coz 3 would make them a category with only one winner).

Two drivers per class would be only feasible if there is a timing system. I agree with you on that one.
Old 24th August 2007, 07:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

You got the basics bang on, Rahul.

However, I have a few suggestions about the overall classification:

1) To make things simple, why not run just two open classes: one Indian open, & one Unlimited class. The former will have rules just as you outlined here:

Quote:

Indian Open:
The top 3 cars from the Pro Stock class .........

Some basic Regulations for Indian Open
: For single seaters/special entries...............For other cars:
The Unlimited class will allow ANY chassis/engine/suspension combo to run, irrespective of country of origin. The advantages I see are:

1) Fast indian open cars & specials get a chance to go against imported cars, further adding to the event's notable points.

2) Car preparation for indian open steps up a few notches with each passing event, starting with yours. Who knows, you might even be starting a trend here with this Unlimited class.

Quote:

1. Pro Stock Class: Cars in this class will be divided based on cc (cubic capacity). Only 1 driver per car will be allowed. The sub categories are as follows:

1. Upto 1150 cc.
2. 1151-1450 cc.
3. 1451-1650 cc.
4. 1651- 2000 cc.
5. 2000 cc and above.
I think you should also have a class for the M800s & Altos, however miniscule their numbers might be. If you pair them with the 1150 class many 800 guys who would have run might fail to turn up.

As far as the regs are concerned for Pro-Stock, I think Rule #2 should be altered to read the following:

2. No car with Turbocharger that is not factory fitted will be allowed.

Did you forget the Skoda RS? Maybe even turbo-diesels might turn up!

Quote:
Forced Induction Class: No Naturally Aspirated cars will be allowed in this class.
If you ask me, let NA cars run here too...no apparent threat from them to FI cars but again, if someone knows enough to get FI performance from an NA engine, why not give him the chance?

Quote:
If everything goes as planned, we might have a very big event in the future. Including sponsorship, timing lights, timing slips, tight security, spectator stands et all.
I hope so too. Its about time REAL enthusiasts started organizing events in our country rather than beanpoles & old fogies (no offense meant to older people). And one piece of equipment sorely missed in any Indian event is a scoreboard/display at the end of the track which clearly indicates ET at the end of a race. These days its usually the idiot with the mike that announces these numbers. Half the fun is lost when he/she fails to do that at the end of a run.
Old 24th August 2007, 09:19   #21
BANNED

Ray, the last time I heard about the drafting of the regs some circles specifically asked for a class for Zen upto 1450cc both in Pro Stock & FI category. Since its a fierce competition amongst the e-zens. That said, personally I see no reason why we should have a e-zen class and not a b-zen or a zonda class too. The problem with clubbing the e-zen class though with the 1151-1450 cc would be that others will complain about the undue advantage. And the very fact that the regs say no engine swaps allowed in the PS or FI category will be at stake.

So, its the question of do we allow engine swaps in PS and FI categories or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath
To make things simple, why not run just two open classes: one Indian open, & one Unlimited class.
Bang on ananth, if you see my first post this unlimited class will be called the "Unrestricted Class" where all Indian cars can go up against the Foreign cars. This should be a fun class provided we have the numbers. Or do you mean to say, scrap all other classes and just have a drag with two classes. Indian Open & Unrestricted?

Quote:
I think you should also have a class for the M800s & Altos
I have been thinking about the same too. So then how would you classify the cc? Upto 800 cc? I really hope the M800 and Alto guys come in good numbers. Same goes for the zen, santro, spark owners too.

Quote:
2. No car with Turbocharger that is not factory fitted will be allowed.
No ananth, I haven't forgotten the Skoda RS. Since Pro Stock class is designated to only NA cars I don't think we can have these turbo cars in this class though they come with a factory fitted turbo. They would be in the Forced Induction 1651-2000 cc class.

The reason for this is, that when a TCed RS goes up against a Accord for eg, the RS will have an undue advantage. I guess its better if we leave all forms of NA cars in one category & all FI cars in one category. That will enable a level playing field?

Though I would really love to have a class for the turbo diesels.

Quote:
if someone knows enough to get FI performance from an NA engine, why not give him the chance?
Like I already mentioned earlier, it would be better to have all FI and NA cars run in separate categs. Besides there is always Indian Open where these cars could go up against each other. If it is timing based, then it is for everyone to see if any NA car is indeed faster than the FI cars.

Quote:
Its about time REAL enthusiasts started organizing events in our country
I think we really need to work on this. Any help in this regard would be highly appreciated. Right from getting sponsorship, to setting up the regs, to marketing of the event, to setting up spectator stands, to procuring land to host the event, to getting the numbers to take part. I request every enthusiast to actively take part in this. Its us who got to make this happen.

Quote:
Indian event is a scoreboard/display at the end of the track which clearly indicates ET at the end of a race.
This was available at the previous drag in Bombay & Bangalore.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 24th August 2007 at 09:21.
Old 24th August 2007, 09:26   #22
BANNED

Another downside to this whole thing is that there will be no drags happening in Bangalore in the near future. At the least, not till this Govt is in power. After a recent incident where the CM's sons name got involved in another scandal I don't think drags will be allowed in any part of the state. So we will have to look for alternative cities to host these events. Like Chennai or Coimbatore etc. Not sure how many people from Bangalore will be willing to travel 350kms to take part in a drag. Now this is another cause for worry. Though I am planning to approach all the big guns in the tuning industry and put forth a request.

Or the only alternative will be to find a private land with tarmac where we can host this event. Any help in this regard to will be highly appreciated.
Old 24th August 2007, 10:44   #23
BHPian

Any idea on the dates for the event. Approximatly.
Old 24th August 2007, 14:04   #24
BANNED

Sometime in October. Ray, kindly PM me your contact details.
Old 24th August 2007, 16:25   #25
BHPian

Very good effort. Wish you all the best.

IMO you should clearly define the followig parameters , so that those who want to sponsor/ participate can take a call.

1. Is it an event for the enthusiasts run by enthusiasts on a no loss no profit basis?

2. Is it a commercial event with spnsorships , tickets, concessions and the works ?

If it is a commecial event , then rules of free market economy apply and it would be great if those who want to sponsor / support know who the stake holders and their track records are.

Hope you take it in the right spirit .

P>S> If answer to question 2 above is yes, then does team bhp allow promotion of private commercial enterprises on its forum?

Last edited by w 12 : 24th August 2007 at 16:32.
Old 24th August 2007, 20:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

As an aside, have you thought about an event like the SCCA Solo http://scca.org/Solo/Solo2.asp?IdS=644C0C-671E9F0&x=050|030&~=

Very easy to setup and run, very cheap, and lots of fun too. You might need a venue probably like a stadium or a big parking lot (not many of those in India though) but it costs almost nothing to setup & run the course. What do you think?
Old 24th August 2007, 21:39   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
IIRC, you asked me to work with you on this, since you intend it to be a profit-making venture.
Quote:
1. Is it an event for the enthusiasts run by enthusiasts on a no loss no profit basis?

2. Is it a commercial event with spnsorships , tickets, concessions and the works ?
If it is a commecial event , then rules of free market economy apply and it would be great if those who want to sponsor / support know who the stake holders and their track records are.
I think these are excellent points. Bravo w12. It's all very well to enjoy pedal-to-the-metal and all that jingo, but there are always moneys involved. There is a huge commercial aspect to organizing any form of competition (racing or knitting, doesn't matter) and sponsors will not accept grey areas.

Do not include the SpeedRun experience in the answer. ACI is an organization with a lot of weight, credibility and experience.
If ACI organizes any event, with their reputation there will be some sponsors willing to stake their money. My company is one of them.

Quote:

If answer to question 2 above is yes, then does team bhp allow promotion of private commercial enterprises on its forum?
I think we all know the answer to this question.

However in all fairness I do not see any promotion of an event here. There is no event (yet) to promote. All I see someone trying to put together a set of rules for a possible event.
Old 24th August 2007, 21:44   #28
BHPian

regarding the sponsorships why not forward a mail to magazines like business motoring and overdrive and see if they are willing to sponsor.
Old 24th August 2007, 22:02   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

I do not think the purpose of this thread is to discuss where sponsors can be got from. Just my 2 cents.

I'm out of here, all this talk is above my head.

In any case, don't make a category for Turbo-diesels. I will win in my Verna and everyone else will feel bad.

P.S. Can one drop his Axle off to reduce weight and therefore stand a better chance of winning? Or is that not allowed?
Old 24th August 2007, 22:10   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
P.S. Can one drop his Axle off to reduce weight and therefore stand a better chance of winning? Or is that not allowed?

It is allowed and is the latest form of performance increase. I also hear they're talking abt yet another revolutionary weight loss to aid performance - dropping the engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks