Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2007, 13:44   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
A few DRAG Race rules I have put together. Need your suggestions!

As some of you know I am planning to organize a drag race. Though for fun, I thought it would be good to have a certain set of rules to look forward to. Since any form of motorsports organized in India has to be with the due permission of the MAI (Motorsports Authority of India) if we are to announce results I am asked to send the regulations well in advance. So here is my take, kindly add, correct my views and voice out yours. Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.

To begin with there will be 2 distinct classes.

1. Indian cars/specials with Indian Engine.
2. Foreign cars with foreign engines/ Indian production bodies with foreign engine.

Indian Class will be further classified into:

1. Pro Stock Class: Cars in this class will be divided based on cc (cubic capacity). Only 1 driver per car will be allowed. The sub categories are as follows:

1. Upto 1150 cc.
2. 1151-1450 cc.
3. 1451-1650 cc.
4. 1651- 2000 cc.
5. 2000 cc and above.

Regulations for Pro Stock Class & Modifications Allowed:

1. Only 1 driver per car will be allowed. A driver can bring any number of cars though.
2. No car with NOS/Turbo/Supercharge will be allowed in this class. Its only for Naturally Aspirated Engines.
3. Engine head, block, gearbox casing must be Indian.
4. Internals of engine and gearbox are free.
5. ECU is free.
6. Axels, suspension, brakes, rims are free.
7. No semi slicks or slicks will be allowed. Only street legal tires Indian or Imported allowed.
8. Only seats, matting, ICE, electric window equipment, door pads maybe removed.
9. Removal of dashboard, doors, boot, bonnet, bumpers will not be allowed.
10. All parts like doors, boot, bonnet, bumpers will have to be OE. No fiber parts allowed.
11. Body kits, spoilers etc allowed as long as they are securely mounted.
12. No cars with engine swaps allowed even if the engine meets the cc limits. For eg, a E-zen cannot take part in the 1151-1450 cc Pro Stock class.
13. Fuel is free.

Forced Induction Class: No Naturally Aspirated cars will be allowed in this class. Only 1 driver per class will be allowed. Turbo/NOS/Supercharger or a combination of the above will be allowed. For eg, a car can run with both NOS and turbo. FI class will be further classified into:

1. Upto 1150 cc.
2. 1151-1450 cc.
3. 1451-1650 cc.
4. 1651- 2000 cc.
5. 2000 cc and above.

Regulations and Modifications Allowed:

1. Only 1 driver per class will be allowed. A driver can bring any number of cars though.
2. Engine head, block, gearbox casing must be Indian.
3. Internals of engine and gearbox are free.
4. ECU is free.
5. Axels, suspension, brakes, rims are free.
6. Slicks will be allowed. Basically tires are free.
7. Body kits, spoilers etc allowed as long as they are securely mounted.
8. Body lightening is free.
9. No cars with engine swaps allowed even if the engine meets the cc limits. For eg, a turbo E-zen cannot take part in the 1151-1450 cc Forced Induction class.
10. Fuel is free.
11. Only commercially available NOS will be permitted. Bottles must have a DOT approved rating.

Indian Open:
The top 3 cars from the Pro Stock class in each category MAY participate in the Indian Open if the owners wish to take part. All FI cars and single seaters/special entries will be allowed in this category. Only 1 driver per car will be allowed in the Indian Open class.

As the name suggest, everything in this class is free. Anything goes as long as basic safety measures are put into practice.

Some basic Regulations for Indian Open
: For single seaters/special entries.

1. Engine should be Indian.
2. Engine capacity limited to 2,000 cc.
3. There should exist a firewall between engine & driver and also between fuel tank & driver.
4. Any call on the entry pertaining to the car will be under the jurisdiction of the scrutiny committee.

For other cars:
1. All cars with engine swaps will be allowed in this category ONLY.

Foreign Open
: No car with Indian engine will be allowed. Indian cars with foreign engines will be allowed to take part as long as they meet the cc limitations. Sub categories based on cc will be as follows:

1. Upto 2000 cc.
2. 2001-3000 cc.
3. 3001-4000 cc.
4. 4000 cc and above.

Running of Event: Based on availability of timing equipment the drag race will be either of knockout type or timing based.

Timing Based Event: The working of the christmas tree will be explained once we are able to hire the equipment. For a time based event the following will be followed:

1. No choice of lanes will be allowed.
2. Winners will be declared on the bassis of TT (Total Time). TT = ET + RT . Where ET stands for Elapsed time and RT stands for Reaction Time.
3. Timing slips will be given.
4. In case of a tie, the driver with the better RT will be declared as the winner.

Knockout Type: Cars will run against each other to the finish line. The car that wins will head to the next round of elimination. The elimination round will be as follows:

Consider 8 cars participating, then:

1. 1st car will run with the 8th car.
2. 2nd car will run with the 7th car.
3. 3rd car will run with the 6th car.
4. 4th car will run with the 5th car.

The winner of the 1st drag will then run with the winner of the 4th drag.
Winner of the 2nd drag will run with the winner of the 3rd drag.

Winners from the above 2 drags will qualify for the finals.

PS: Most of these rules are borrowed from the existing rules at Speed Run. I have only made certain changes, added/omitted certain rules. Feel free to post your views.

PS 2: I haven't included a Zen 1450 cc class or a unrestricted class. Based on participation numbers they might be included as well.

PS 3: MAI needs mandatory Regulations before approval of event. So I am sending forward a set of regulations that can be made use for bigger, more serious events as well.

Looking forward for your replies. If everything goes as planned, we might have a very big event in the future. Including sponsorship, timing lights, timing slips, tight security, spectator stands et all.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 23rd August 2007 at 13:46.
Old 23rd August 2007, 14:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

That was a very good explanation of the rules and classifications / categories Rahul.

I had one question. Can the tires, which are used by the race esteems on track, be used for the drag?

I really hope this turns into one big event. Are you planning this event in Bangy to start with or in multiple cities? anyway, all the best and do keep us posted.
Old 23rd August 2007, 14:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

A good effort indeed rahul, the rules looks ok to me. Haven't gone through them fully.

Need any help in this regard you can always contact me.
Old 23rd August 2007, 14:10   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I had one question. Can the tires, which are used by the race esteems on track, be used for the drag?
No Adi, not in the Pro Stock class.

Quote:
I really hope this turns into one big event. Are you planning this event in Bangy to start with or in multiple cities? anyway, all the best and do keep us posted.
No event at Bangalore Adi. The fun event will be at CBE after the track day. Will be talking to some big guns at the Touring Car Championship this weekend. Lets hope everything goes according to plan.
Old 23rd August 2007, 21:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post

Regulations for Pro Stock Class & Modifications Allowed:
9. Removal of dashboard, doors, boot, bonnet, bumpers will not be allowed.
10. All parts like doors, boot, bonnet, bumpers will have to be OE. No fiber parts allowed.
C'mon, im not exactly aware of speedrun rules and regs but this isn't fair.Everyone wants to clock their fastest time and these rules will affect them.Let participants run fiber panels if they are serious to do so.You two have been in their position and you know that.

My point is why slow down someone who is serious about the event just to keep people with mildly modded cars happy.
Old 23rd August 2007, 21:35   #6
BANNED

Binoy, those were the rules at Speed Run too. I suggest we stick to it to make the competition fair for all. You are allowed to do so in all the other classes. Besides, it will also give us a rough indication on how fast the same cars are on the street .

Quote:
just to keep people with mildly modded cars happy.
For the benefit of the sport boy. We want many of these people with mildly modded cars to turn up in huge numbers. I still remember the days when I was one among them. Not many will be able to spend on fiber doors, dickey and bonnet. They would rather invest the same kind of money in buying an air filter or headers or something.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 23rd August 2007 at 21:39.
Old 23rd August 2007, 21:39   #7
BHPian

i feel the fiber rule should be relaxed and also a another class which is 1300 ,1600 any indian car and engine can be used but head,block,gearbox must be Indian including car it would make a better competition.

edit:what about bikes.

Last edited by pawan : 23rd August 2007 at 21:47.
Old 23rd August 2007, 21:51   #8
BANNED

Pawan, as I have already mentioned the zen with upto 1450 class will also be a part of the drag provided we have numbers. The 1600 zens will all take part in the Indian Open. It doesn't make sense in having countless number of classes when the numbers will be low. Next the OHC with foreign engines will want a separate class too. Though if we have the necessary numbers I see no reason why the class should not be formulated.

And since I am not that very well versed with bikes and all the people I speak to are car related I thought it best to keep away from the bike scene.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 23rd August 2007 at 21:52.
Old 23rd August 2007, 22:22   #9
BHPian

good affort man
how about making a category for cars with NOS/turbo etc.??
Old 23rd August 2007, 22:39   #10
BANNED

Payam, all cars with NOS, turbo, supercharger or a combination of the above will come under the Forced Induction category. I have posted the regs for that too.
Old 23rd August 2007, 23:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Not many will be able to spend on fiber doors, dickey and bonnet. They would rather invest the same kind of money in buying an air filter or headers or something.
Fibre hood, boot and doors will work out cheaper than a full exhaust and intake package, and will make much more difference.
Old 24th August 2007, 00:06   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Fibre hood, boot and doors will work out cheaper than a full exhaust and intake package, and will make much more difference.
How many taking part in the Pro Stock class will be wanting to spend 6-8k on getting fiber parts for just an occasional drag? That would be the real question. Do you see any other flaws or changes to be made to the regs? Or should I put up an add saying "All those who volunteer to help in this regard will be paid in cash" . Maybe then we will see more opinions coming.
Old 24th August 2007, 00:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Volunteers are never paid. And how many occasional racers do you think are going to make the trip to CBE? And you can't afford to pay anyone for opinions.
Old 24th August 2007, 00:19   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
. And how many occasional racers do you think are going to make the trip to CBE?
You will know shortly.

Quote:
Volunteers are never paid.
Maybe thats why you asked for a fee to help me write the SR?

Quote:
And you can't afford to pay anyone for opinions.
Really? I guess I will only have to prove you wrong then.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 24th August 2007 at 00:21.
Old 24th August 2007, 00:59   #15
BHPian

Heeeeeeeey great job on the SR Rahul. Just a few suggestions:

1. The Body lightning for the pro-stock classes. I think people should have the oppertunity to have the edge if they want to and if i am not mistaken the pro-stock classes in speedrun allow body lightning. (the last mumbai one atleast). Just my view bro.

2. The Zen 1450cc is a total bummer dude. I think you should have a category for the Zens upto 1450cc and if you dont have enough entries merge the class with the upto 1450CC. (now that would be fun).

3. Indian open should permit two drivers. You may have an extra 10 entries but the competetion becomes more fun. please consider this, its for the fun of the sport.

otherwise, a superjob. Its really nice to see someone doing something for the sport.......Its easy to sit back and criticize compared to taking responsibilty and doing something

Most Viewed