Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2004, 23:51   #1
Team-BHP Support

Now Closed : New Karting Track in Bombay!!

Hey guys,

Source : Carriage (Asian Age supplement)

By the end of August 2004 a new GoKarting track located near the International airport in Mumbai should be open to the public (hopefully!)
Thanks to Sanjay Narang and Sachin Tendulkar for making this happen. They say that they are not in it for the money, but more as enthusiasts.... so that sounds great!
A special concrete-asphalt was imported for the track surface, so hopefully that will make those 14+bhp karts more manageable on the turns when the time comes!

Im really looking forward to this!! Next TBHP meet here? what say!

cheers
R

Pics> from the Asian Age supplement > Carriage

Old 10th August 2004, 00:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

The track looks awesome!! Really cool stuff!!
Old 10th August 2004, 00:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

yeah rehaan,

t-bhp meet there for sure....and i read that this track was designed when sachin drew this on a tissue or napkin just idling away on a table ...

looks good ....now cant wait to kart !!!

cheers
Old 10th August 2004, 01:06   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Holy ....! This is one awesome looking track, how about opening it for sedans too? I mean....there are a lot of Bombay enthusiasts who would love to take their own machines down for some good track testing and lap times. Heck, it would also help to take street racing off the streets. I guess the guys down south already have a track that they can rent on occasion.

That aside, if Sanjay Narang is behind this...it will surely work. For those who arent aware of this entrepreneur, hes a foodie and has opened up some extremely funky/alternate/delicious and profitable restaurants in Bombay. Most tracks complain of revenue, but with a food joint getting in the moolah, this track will surely survive.

Good find, Team-BHP track meet surely

GTO
Old 10th August 2004, 01:07   #5
BHPian

hi......the last 2 corners........the full start finish straight.....and the 1st 2 corners.........remind me of the track at worli.........and the middle section is just the inverted design of the middle section of the worli track(landmarc citi) at mumbai. Im sure the layout of the track will be awesome, cos having driven professional karts at the worli track, i can surely tell you 14+ bhp karts on such corners are awesome. I cant wait for the track to start. Time to get the racing gear back on.......and burn some rubber.
Old 10th August 2004, 01:19   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ Aug. 09 2004,23:36)]how about opening it for sedans too?
Hey GTO,

I doubt that. From the pic it doesnt seem like a safe proposition. Complete lack of run-off area etc, (those tirewalls may stop a gokart...but not a sedan )

But for karts this should be a blast!!
The article also said that MAI is currently in the process of certifying the track...( if they certify it for cars too i will be very happy....but very shocked! lol)
Maybe a one time event could happen there....yknow like those "car park rallys" that are popular in the east.

Hope this place opens soon!!
cya
R
Old 10th August 2004, 12:19   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]This is one awesome looking track, how about opening it for sedans too?
Not a chance GTO. While the track may look big in the photo, the fact is its just too narrow. Barely 5.5-6 meters at most places, which is just about borderline for racing karts. You can forget taking a car onto that!!

The surface is the best of any Indian circuit, and I'm talking even the racing circuits!! But, if they had only read up on the rules BEFORE building the circuit, it would have been so much better.

Anyways, its by far the best circuit Bombay has and the karts are gonna be great as well, none of those rust buckets we see at other tracks.

Rt
Old 10th August 2004, 12:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ Aug. 09 2004,23:36)]Holy ....! This is one awesome looking track, how about opening it for sedans too? I mean....there are a lot of Bombay enthusiasts who would love to take their own machines down for some good track testing and lap times. Heck, it would also help to take street racing off the streets. I guess the guys down south already have a track that they can rent on occasion.
someone (with a lot of money to spare) shud make a circuit...for sedans....and maybe a drag strip...maybe some where on the outskirts.......and it will surely be profitable...as there are many petrolheads in mumbai...wat do u say ppl ??
Old 11th August 2004, 03:15   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

yeah ......
sounds cool .......
and the best part is that whenever im in that side of town i can always go if the plane is delayed .......
anyway , a dragstrip for sedans sounds cool and i don mind waitin 2- 3 years for that to happen ......
i will hopefully have a license by then
Old 9th November 2004, 18:29   #10
F50
Senior - BHPian

I think this go-kart track has started coz today in Times Of India (2nd Page) there's a pic of Sachin driving a kart and location given is near Marol at Andheri.
I could be wrong coz im unaware bout this track being there in Andheri.
So if this the track which Rehaan was talkig bout then wow next meet at this track.
Old 9th November 2004, 18:33   #11
BHPian

Ashok Manages this place he is 30+ and a pretty good karter met him at powai hey n guyz i qualified in the 1st 24 but lost then ....
ya n the track is really nice and ten times better than powai coz powai has bumps and ... 12 bhp cars literally fly over these bumps...
Old 9th November 2004, 18:35   #12
Team-BHP Support

Hey F50,

you're right, the circuit was officially opened last evening. They currently have about 5 world karts (15hp), the same ones used in the MRF Championship and one 28hp Rotax Max kart. These ofcourse will only be given to members and experienced karters.

However, they messed up with the regular rental karts, opting for the terrible ones made by the Powai circuit!

A lot is planned for this track, with races almost every 2 weeks. Great stuff!

Rt
Old 9th November 2004, 18:42   #13
BHPian

Post Deleted : Excessive use of slang.

GTO

Old 9th November 2004, 18:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

A lot of money to spare in this part of the country? I see only one name popping up, each n every time..."Vijay Mallya". He's not only got the money but, also the passion for cars and racing.

Shan2nu
Old 10th November 2004, 03:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Wow...now thats gonna be an awesome carting experience.Is it open to public as yet?? And where is Marol? Have never heard about this place!

P.s : Shan2nu,how bout Vijay Mallya and Gautam Singhania gettin together.Both of these guys are passionate about cars!

X

Most Viewed