Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2007, 00:55   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
It all depends on the rulebook and which car it favours. Right now the Swift will rule the 1300 category because there is nothing else out there that can match it.
Won't the Esteem be any good at all? I mean is the Swift that great that it would devour the Esteem as well?
Old 30th October 2007, 08:05   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayblaze View Post
Won't the Esteem be any good at all? I mean is the Swift that great that it would devour the Esteem as well?
most probably yes its only speculation, the esteem is still a very good rally car only with konis and other suspensions
Old 5th November 2007, 00:59   #33
BHPian

SUZUKI Motorsport FIA Junior Rally Championship

man i would killll for the swift sport ; : what a beast especially for this fine city of mumbai

check out SEAN-THE-MAN.blogspot.com: Suzuki Swift Sport 2006. JWRC homologated but cheap!

tooo
cheers boys
cy

hang on a minute.. it has 128hp, a 6800rpm rev happy engine, VVT, ABS (Antilock Braking System), EBD (Electronic Brakeforce Distribution), 5-stud wheel hubs, 5-speed close ratio gearbox, sports suspension and ARBs and does a 8.9s century sprint topping out at a mfr 200kmh. It has 4 disc brakes (F: ventilated R: solid, I'm still trying to find out the rotor size and the pictures look like single pot calipers) and 6 airbags. The front splitter, side skirts, rear spoiler, rear bumper extensions and valance all designed to reduce lift.

How else do you know it's JWRC homologated? It's got variable high cams (I need to find out the specs), 4-1 extractor, polished intake manifold, shot-peened! + FORGED! pistons, piston oil coolers!, 11.1 compression ratio and 200mm clutch (standard is 190mm). You only see engine specs like that on turbo engines, Honda's legendary B16As, Type Rs or Nissan SR16s. Maybe the much maligned Mivec 4G92. And you'll be hard-pressed to find shot-peened, forged pistons on any unmodified engine.

Last edited by cyneverdie : 5th November 2007 at 01:04.
Old 8th November 2007, 10:45   #34
BHPian

Hi guys, I heard earlier this year that Maruti is considering homologating a 1600 Swift for the INRC... possibly the Baleno engine. It doesn't make sense, though, because AFAIK you need a certain number of cars in production [in India] to be homologated for rallying, right?
Also, from what I've heard, homologation holds good for 10 years after the car goes out of production, which is why the carb Esteem is still running in RSC, and will probably continue to do so until 2009 if I'm not mistaken...
Old 9th November 2007, 02:28   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oversteer View Post
Hi guys, I heard earlier this year that Maruti is considering homologating a 1600 Swift for the INRC... possibly the Baleno engine. It doesn't make sense, though, because AFAIK you need a certain number of cars in production [in India] to be homologated for rallying, right?
Also, from what I've heard, homologation holds good for 10 years after the car goes out of production, which is why the carb Esteem is still running in RSC, and will probably continue to do so until 2009 if I'm not mistaken...
In that way even a Lancer (not cedia) can be used. But then will a privateer use a lancer for rallying?
Old 9th November 2007, 03:07   #36
BHPian

Good point, 1100D. You're right, probably not. But I'd think that would have more to do with comparatively lower running costs (mods, spares, mechanics and so on) of the Baleno than anything else.
It's a pity the Lancer never took off in a big way in India... they might not have been 4WD Evos, but sure would have looked good on the track
Old 9th November 2007, 08:07   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS
I heard earlier this year that Maruti is considering homologating a 1600 Swift for the INRC... possibly the Baleno engine.
AFAIK, Maruti is not showing interest in homologating the Swift or the SX4 which is one of the main reasons for this thread - To convince Maruti.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oversteer
lower running costs (mods, spares, mechanics and so on) of the Baleno than anything else.
Yeah,right.
Baleno's mechanicals and electricals are mostly SGP imports. Not very encouraging for rally.

Last edited by nitrous : 9th November 2007 at 08:08.
Old 9th November 2007, 08:39   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I would look at how the europeans have prepared the swift track/ rally cars.
It might give all the help we'll need .
Nitrous, when are you gonna look at the swift..?? Have Europeans in the rally circuit.??
Old 9th November 2007, 08:41   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
i always had this doubt to why do they prefer the carb to fi?.
Carbs are more malleable than FI..

In a carb setup much more can be tinkered with than a FI engine where the ECU over rules..

But the modding of the ECU codecs have also been done to a much better extent for which one needs to have access to these..

A carb setup can be made to perform as well at a much lower COST!

well thats my opinion.
Old 9th November 2007, 13:09   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
But the modding of the ECU codecs have also been done to a much better extent for which one needs to have access to these.
RDKarthik's ECU's are used in the indian rally cars. Check out the previous issues of popular auto mag's for more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
A carb setup can be made to perform as well at a much lower COST!
The stand alone ECU's cost quite a packet. Tuning the stock carb's are cheaper but if one is going for bigger and better carb's like weber then the it probably will be costlier or at par with the aftermarket ECU's (in terms of cost).
Old 9th November 2007, 15:10   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
Nitrous, when are you gonna look at the swift..?? Have Europeans in the rally circuit.??
Saar,Elaborate please!
OT:
In today's day and age, we try to move forwards and not backwards.
So, lets stop loooong discussions about how carbs are better than FI.
Old 9th November 2007, 21:14   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah,right.
Baleno's mechanicals and electricals are mostly SGP imports. Not very encouraging for rally.
I meant the human mechanics, not mechanicals The Lancer brand has got "premium" value attached to it, which the good ol' tried-n-trusted Maruti doesn't. I'm assuming that parts for a rally Lancer would be imports too, so they're on level ground there (I guess...)

Quote:
AFAIK, Maruti is not showing interest in homologating the Swift or the SX4 which is one of the main reasons for this thread - To convince Maruti.
OK, so let's put it this way: what might be Maruti's motivation to favour the Esteem[/Baleno] to Swift[/SX4]? I mean, obviously, at least the Swift is a proven platform.
Old 9th November 2007, 21:28   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oversteer View Post

OK, so let's put it this way: what might be Maruti's motivation to favour the Esteem[/Baleno] to Swift[/SX4]? I mean, obviously, at least the Swift is a proven platform.
Yes quite right, but then Maruti must be motivated enough to bring them on.

As far as Rallying in India is concerned, there is some reason which keeps the Manufacturers not as interested as, say, in Europe.

They dont think that there is much of a ROI on having established rally credentials. There isn't much general knowledge about the Indian Rally scene for the exploits of a manufacturer to give them real gains in terms of sales. Moreover the Indian car market is mostly ruled by FE and FE alone, so even if motorsports were popularly followed would it have any effect on the sales charts?

Simple example, how many sponsors and spectators do you have for domestic cricket? But hypocritically the masses turn up in hoards for an international match, totally insensitive and oblivious to the actual domain that give us our international players.

Now have I answered my own question?!
Old 11th November 2007, 03:34   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Now have I answered my own question?!
LOL! While reading your post, I had this vision of European car-makers using Indian rallies as proving grounds for their home markets... I mean, if there ever was such a thing as a "rally country", India would be undoubtedly be it. We have the best conditions, every terrain and climate you can think of, and some of the most challenging public roads. "Engineered in Germany, Proven in India"

Besides the FE-driven sales, the problem with rallying remains very low public coverage and advertising opportunity... which is also the case internationally (Dare I say F1 vs WRC? Let's not go there).

I'm sure if more players came in *officially* (Skoda, Hyundai, Mitsubishi, even Tata), it would actually bring costs down for everybody involved. Simple economics: volume goes up, prices come down. So you know it would actually be kinda nice if say, Tata came in with like a works team, and Maruti was forced to homologate just because Tata starts hyping about how good their cars are on bad roads <daydreaming...>

Fight fire with fire, I say... convince Tata first and you just might end up convincing Maruti!!!

P.S.: If there ever was an Indian car with a "rally based suspension", it's the Indica... ask all our taxi drivers
Old 16th November 2007, 19:10   #45
BHPian

hey people

presume you all have heard of the new lancer soon coming

1.8lt 144 odd hp

torsion and chassis rigidity is up [forgotten figures] by over 50 % as compared to the Cedia ..which i always felt was loose

now thats potential

and its coming for sure

unlike the 1.6 swift which i would killll for

rock on people

cy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks