Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2008, 00:26   #46
BHPian

I made it to Torq03 on Saturday. Here are my observations:

01. The track length did not seem like 440mts as claimed in the web site. It felt about 300mts long.

02. Karts are in good condition since they are new.

03. The 10bhp Kart (Raptor) felt very light in the front.

04. Breaks are good - Raptor

05. Acceleration is adequate - Raptor

06. Track layout/design could have been better.

07. The grip offered by the track is good - Tarmac

08. People management is poor especially when crowd builds up.

09. I didn't notice any timing device / screen

10. Powerful Karts are over priced.

Overall it was fun. I however find Planet-X more fun
Old 9th June 2008, 12:32   #47
Senior - BHPian

Made it to torq03 yesterday.
Good track but not so good Karts. They had only one 13bhp Kart and no 15hp/26hp ones. I tried the 10 hp evos. They have 4 of them out of which i tried 3 . Had to change 2 of them, the first one refused to steer to the right in the middle of a lap. The throttle cable came off on the second one when i was just about having some fun. The tyres on all of them were sad with big worn out patches. One could see the white threads coming out from the tyres. But it was fun to slide the karts due to this.

I think these guys need some time to settle down and get the karts in place.
Old 9th June 2008, 13:25   #48
BHPian

One thing is for sure..The place is easily reachable.unlike the one's at RT Nagar and Mysore road. for newbies and not so professional Karters, this track will be good. And the 10bhp Kart's just do the job well. The track is not so well designed to handle the power of a 26hp kart. Maybe that's why they did not provide them at the first place.
Old 15th June 2008, 23:52   #49
BHPian

Made it to ezone today and tried out karting for my first time. I guess i'd always been avoiding it coz i'm not a fan of 4 wheels (still dont know how to drive lol)...Anyways got try the 7.5bhp raptors and to my surprise it was real good fun. I did some 12 laps and managed a best of 36.10, the owner said it was a good time for a newbie, i'm definitely coming back for more. This sure beats watching tv over the weekends

PS: nice meeting you V1p3r

Last edited by Killer : 16th June 2008 at 00:07.
Old 16th June 2008, 03:09   #50
Senior - BHPian

Hey Killer, great meeting you there. Nice tshirt, too.

My experience was a little different, and a little less positive. Maybe I'll put up a review soon.
Old 16th June 2008, 14:15   #51
BHPian

Went there during the weekend. Its the best available in bangy now. But is this enough? I would still prefere speedzone which sadly closed down.
Old 16th June 2008, 17:29   #52
Senior - BHPian

v1p3r and myself went on sunday.Quite a large crowd,though no waiting for the 9.5hp karts.I drove the same karts that i had driven a week after they had opened.And the difference whas there for everyone to see.Rear right tire was completly shredded.The same kart wasnt firing properly and was SLOW compared to the previous drive that i had.

I did 18 laps in that kart then went on to the other one.Took another 12 laps,though i made the mistake of trying to take the kart sideways on the straight.The previous driver had crashed a million times and as a result only one of the front wheels were turning.I didnt know,at the end of the first lap im fully sideway throttling out with opposite lock and one wheel isnt turning.Went head-on into the tire-wall on my left.Managed to get the kart out myself,but in the remaining laps the kart would just understeer into the tires.Took the kart straight into the pits with the owner throwing attitude saying the because of my crash the steering got screwed up.

Akshay came into the pits after me,complaining that his kart(the one with the shredded tire)was sliding all over the place.And the owner retorts saying you should enter the corner wide,apex it and it will be alright.
What the hell,we have both driven professionally,holding Mai licences,on much faster karts(14 horsepower mondials),on much faster tracks and this guy is giving us gyaan??Forget me,he actually told v1p3r about racing-lines!!

The place was amazing when it started,but its dropping to the standards of patels inn.That too very quickly.

The owner or whoever(with the hairband)was pushing everyone around a LOT.

Alok and venkatesh have been the most helpful at that place.

If the owner is reading this,I spent nearly 1000bucks on 48+ laps.And this is not the first time im coming to torq03.The least you can do is provide enthusiasts with half-decent tires.

The timing system isn't up yet.

Last edited by binz : 16th June 2008 at 17:32.
Old 16th June 2008, 18:14   #53
BHPian

Hi All ,went to torque again this Sunday.There was quite a crowd with the reuters pary and all.but managed some decent rounds.The place's main advantage is that it's reachable and has got some new karts. Called up Mr killer and he landed up too. Sir..for a first timer your lap time of 36 is way too good...but don't forget the owners best is 32. But i am sure we will beat it next week..what say??
Old 16th June 2008, 18:27   #54
Senior - BHPian

The karts maybe be new,but what I saw on sunday didnt look like the same new kart i had driven a week back.

Only the raptors and the evo's are new.The 13hp karts are second-hand KnKs
Old 16th June 2008, 18:33   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
The karts maybe be new,but what I saw on sunday didnt look like the same new kart i had driven a week back.

Only the raptors and the evo's are new.The 13hp karts are second-hand KnKs

point taken..the karts definetly needs maintanence...Even the evo's tyres were shredding, good for drifting around though..
Old 16th June 2008, 19:46   #56
BHPian

Went to Grips on Mysore Road yesterday, my first karting experience in Bangalore. Tried out the 10bhp karts. There was a long-ish waiting period, so in that time checked out the lines that some decent drivers were taking. When my turn finally came to go out on the track, the throttle didnt seem to be responding properly, there was some kind of mis-firing. I had gone there with two friends and we'd decided to race each other. So after the mis-firing on my kart the two of them pulled away. About 15 seconds into my first lap, things suddenly fell into place on the kart, and it started to accelerate properly. Mid-way into the lap I spotted my friends up ahead, both had managed to crash into the tyres. As a result of pushing too much I guess! Gleefully overtook them both, only to instantly hear the revs dropping and the engine sputtering out. Cursing my luck, I started to wave frantically to the marshalls. Those who were nearby were untangling my friends from the tyres and getting them on their way. After what seemed like an eternity and getting done with them, they finally attended to me, and after about 5-6 attempts managed to get the engine started. The other two guys had a lead of a good half a lap by this time. Cursing in my helmet and banging on the steering wheel, I started pushing - really really hard. Could actually feel the kart bouncing over some of the fast corners, and also managed to just kiss the tyre walls a number of times exitting some of the quicker corners. There were a couple of slower drivers on the 10 bhp karts who had also begun with us - managed to overtake them by lap 2 itself. Was pushing as well as learning the track and discovering better lines into the umpteen hairpin bends, and encouraging myself to brake deeper going into every turn. Must say that the brakes were very good compared to some of the karts I had driven elsewhere. By lap 3 I could see my friends battling it out with each other.
I discovered that its true when the say during F1 or MotoGp that when you see someone in driving in front of you, you start pushing just that little bit more and get drawn into them. That happened here too, and very soon I was right on their tails. The first guy, I overtook easily as he ran just a bit wide on one turn and I just spotted the opportunity and dived into the turn and got out quicker.
For those of you who visited Grips, isnt Turn 1 simply awesome?! One goes flat out after the second last turn, flat out through the last turn, and I tried to be very very brave (or foolhardy - with friend no 1 about 6 inches in front!) and floor it all the way through Turn 1 till Turn 2. As luck would have it, the kart gripped, I didnt slide off, and I had more speed than friend no 1 while passing the 'grand stands'! Overtook him, completed lap 5 and 6 and then finally pitted. Got out and discovered that I actually had built about a 10 second lead in just the next 2 laps.
I didn't know that karting could make one pant so much and make your fore-arms pain! Guess it was all the extra effort and literally fighting with the kart!
All in all, it was great fun. Good karts, if only a bit far from the city.
Old 16th June 2008, 21:23   #57
Senior - BHPian

I think Gripps track layout is better compared to PlanetX in Mysore. I haven't yet visited Torq3 as yet , but some of the karts in Gripps is in shambles.

Gripps need to revamp and redo most of their karts except for 10/12bhp karts which are pretty good in shape.I have been a regular here since wifey is in love with the last curve where she drives flat out and LOL we bet against each other every time we go there.

BTW my bro' and me have named her Drift Queen and trust me she'z really good at it with the karts. Time to visit Torq3 but then the rush is holding me back.
Old 16th June 2008, 21:42   #58
Jay
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shock View Post
One thing is for sure..The place is easily reachable.unlike the one's at RT Nagar and Mysore road
Could you please care to explain ? Your every other post says this place is reachable, you mean the others are'nt ? Please mention in what way you mean this place is reachable so that people can understand.
Old 17th June 2008, 01:05   #59
Senior - BHPian

Ok, went to Torq03 the other day. The karts were all messed up. The Evo or whatever they call them were running on shredded tyres. There was a huge flat spot on the better of the two tyres, and the other one was down to its metal cords.

Even worse was the attitude of the owner or whoever he is. Some dude in shades and a hairband, pushing everyone around. If you want to control the crowd or waiting people, design an enclosure and put in a couple of chairs, like Patel's Inn or Speedzone. Don't stand around ordering people, and never push them back with your own hands.

Added to that, when I told him that the kart wasn't turning left because the RHR tyre was shredded, he gave me some major spiel about how I should take a wide line and hit the apex. Aww gee whiz, really?

For a first experience, it was horrible. The track isn't too great, honestly, and the karts were badly maintained. Maybe the track would seem better with better karts. And the attitude of the people there was abysmal.

No walking the torq, if you ask me.
Old 17th June 2008, 01:05   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Could you please care to explain ? Your every other post says this place is reachable, you mean the others are'nt ? Please mention in what way you mean this place is reachable so that people can understand.
I think he lives in Marathalli or something.

Most Viewed