Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2005, 16:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Is a slalom competition worth conducting?

I was wondering, since there are too many sponsors concentrating on drag events. Why don't we (in the near future) plan a Slalom competition, where power won't be the only benchmark.

I bet an event like that will have all those B-Zen and NOS driven car owners in a fix. I've been watching a couple of vids of competitions like these held in the US, and it looks pretty reasonable.

Does anyone have any info or experience with events like these? We can start with our members first and then wait till the craze catches up with the others.

I'd love to take my Vtec around a tight Slalom track. But the Wagon R would be more interesting, what say? Lol

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 26th January 2005 at 15:13.
Old 24th January 2005, 16:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

If any off you have played the NFS 5 factory driver slalom tests, you'll know what i'm talking about. It doesn't have to be a big course, but it'll be fun.

Slalom Video Site

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 26th January 2005 at 15:40.
Old 26th January 2005, 15:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ok here are some course designs i got from the BSCC Autocross School website. They have some interesting slalom vids too.

Design 1

Design 2

Design 3

Design 4

PS: If you find any good slalom course layouts do post them here.

Shan2nu
Old 26th January 2005, 18:18   #4
BHPian

A Slalom would be good fun but then would require alot of suspension tuning and would be great. Obviously NOS cant be used but wats wrong with a fast car? The faster timing u go around the slalom the better it is. But would involve alot of accidents as people would try to push and those who dont know how to counter would loose control and slide off etc. Especially cars like santro and wagon r which would topple if pushed really hard.
Old 26th January 2005, 18:21   #5
BHPian

Plus would require to know the track more than a drag strip. Maybe if drag races become a very often issue then slalom races will give a sort of a change to it. But right now drag racing is becoming more and more popular so its good. THough driver skill can be tested very well in slalom. We could also have circuit racing but need a abandoned place or something but again the chances of accidents will be alot alot...
Old 26th January 2005, 18:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Slaloms can be designed in such a way that cars will never get the chance to hit break neck speeds. At low speeds, even cars like the Wagon R wont topple, trust me, the Wagon R isn't that unstable. (I've even done slides on my Wagon R) hehe

It's not going to be on a large scale to start with. It'll just be for fun, no winners, no losers. More like a team-bhp outing. Wouldn't you want to go out on a team-bhp meet that has more than just car-talk and food? How about some real action.

If we plan it well, we can really have a great time without damaging our cars or ourselves.

It may seem impossible now, but there is a way out, somewhere. We just need to think right.

And it is anyday safer than blindly racing on the streets.

shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 26th January 2005 at 18:36.
Old 26th January 2005, 19:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu

And it is anyday safer than blindly racing on the streets.

shan2nu

And its a great idea....this is where driver skill comes in ... and we will also know how well our cars handle. And if the course is designed well...then chances of accidents become much less.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 26th January 2005 at 19:19.
Old 26th January 2005, 21:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

I'm with Shantanu on this one. A nice small handling track, with the right curves and the right bumps, would do wonders when it comes to excitement. I wouldn't mind doing a run even in a Maruti 800, unlike drag races where I have to have a pumped up supercharged Nitrous sniffing bored out car with another car's engine in it, to really get anywhere. It's much more entertaining then drag races, the only reason I go to them, is to check the cars out. Problem is it's way too easier said than done. Mumbai anyway seems like it ran out of space 10 years ago.
I remember this even last year, when ex-rally driver Simo Lampinen( i hope i got his last name right) had come down to Mumbai to do a Castrol Safe Driving course. It was a nice little setup at the Juhu Aerodrome, Vile Parle. The track consisted of a slalom, evasive braking manouveres in the wet, and a run through a muddy, grassy setup. The venue I though was perfect, plenty of run off areas, and with choppers landing and taking off, action all around too.
Old 26th January 2005, 22:01   #9
Team-BHP Support

Shan2nu. an auto driver in Bangalore does it everyday.
Old 26th January 2005, 22:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shan2nu. an auto driver in Bangalore does it everyday.
Haha, maybe we can have a Auto vs Car competition then. Lol

Shan2nu
Old 26th January 2005, 22:11   #11
Team-BHP Support

All car drivers will fall flat. Autos are much more agile.
No competition here mate.

By the way, It's a thought. No harm checking it out.
Old 26th January 2005, 22:50   #12
F50
Senior - BHPian

From autos I remembered that there was an auto race in Mumbai. I wanted to see it but cudnt make it. im sure that wud be interesting.
Old 26th January 2005, 23:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Here's another site - Autocross Slalom Event

Shan2nu
Old 27th January 2005, 00:01   #14
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F 50
From autos I remembered that there was an auto race in Mumbai. I wanted to see it but cudnt make it. im sure that wud be interesting.
F50....it was here in Hiranandani...part of the ongoing Mumbai Festival celebrations. But I don't get the idea of Auto race man...***!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks