Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2008, 23:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Video : How to prepare a Gypsy for the RAID

Here is a nice video I found where one of the competeriors explains what are the mods required to prepare a Maruti Gypsy for the Raid de Himalaya.

Click and enjoy.
Old 15th March 2008, 00:26   #2
BHPian

Thanks Mpower. But the problem buddying rallyists (like me) are facing is to find a gypsy. Preparing it for the Raid comes much later. :-(
Old 15th March 2008, 00:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Oxygen

Maybe I missed it but, having been up that way 4 times, one thing I would want with me is an oxygen bottle. A couple of those passes are very high and it is LIKELY that each participant will get altitude sickness. Some of the other things seem like over-kill such as the tach, 2 shocks per wheel. But if somebody gave me that hardened Gypsy I would not turn it down.
Old 15th March 2008, 01:30   #4

WOW. A truly amazing find. I would love to rally some day. The only problem will be my parents.
Old 15th March 2008, 10:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

That's a pretty good explanation. But the external fuel tank is scary.
Old 15th March 2008, 13:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
That's a pretty good explanation. But the external fuel tank is scary.
Yeah, another reason to go with a diesel. Come on Mahindra, give us a good 4x4 for under 6 lakh and make it a diesel.
Old 15th March 2008, 23:37   #7
BHPian

Nice video. How much does it cost to rally prepare a Gypsy?
Who can do it in Delhi/NCR?
Old 16th March 2008, 16:50   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

cost of perparing the gypsy for raid

Even I would like to know the price. And who in Bangalore would be the best to do it.
Old 16th March 2008, 23:35   #9
Team-BHP Support

Cool video! Though i think he might have confused the guy a little by saying he shifts down at redline, as well has having to turn the steering more turns with a smaller steering wheel, and ofcourse the guy was quite baffled by the splashguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Some of the other things seem like over-kill ..... 2 shocks per wheel.
Overkill? Or is it much needed redundancy when you are doing something like the RAID !

FYI - Khan_sultan has started a thread specifically on that here :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ypsy-king.html

cya
R

EDIT : Heres another thread along the same lines : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-raid-etc.html

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th May 2008 at 03:20.
Old 24th May 2009, 01:17   #10
BHPian

congrats saurabh da... as is evident you are probably living out a lot of peoples dreams, and i wish you the best of luck..
There's great info here regarding preparing cars for rallies, and it just keeps adding stuff to my wishlist.
Had met a couple of rally participants , mechanics here in calcutta a couple of days back.. For some reason , they keep harping on the fact that the local rallies like kaviguru, monsoon, rotary club etc(Kalinga etc are a lil tougher) are rallies where you really do not need heavily souped up cars, mainly the essentials like sump guard, circuit breakers etc. Apparently, even maruti 800s can handle these rallies with ease if driven with care.
They insist on experiencing 1-2 rallies with basic cars or as a navigator so that if you desire to prepare your car seriously, you have a better idea of what is required. I don''t know how valid this info is, but i've sure seen people with basic santro/esteem with minimum mods take part in the kaviguru rally last year.
Old 24th May 2009, 10:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
Thanks Mpower. But the problem buddying rallyists (like me) are facing is to find a gypsy. Preparing it for the Raid comes much later. :-(
Is it not worth buying a new Gypsy from maruti, if the need is genuine and serious offroading and the interest stays for a long time. Is it still in production and if so is it not worth it? Is there a delay like all maruti cars to be delivered?
Old 24th May 2009, 13:00   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Is it not worth buying a new Gypsy from maruti, if the need is genuine and serious offroading and the interest stays for a long time. Is it still in production and if so is it not worth it? Is there a delay like all maruti cars to be delivered?
For the less than the cost of a new gypsy one can build a good rally gypsy with all the "works", and anyways you're going to strip the whole car, strengthen it, install a roll-cage and in all probability do a full re-paint , it it makes sense to start with a used gypsy and use the rest of the money to do up the gypsy and for the events!

Cheers,

Amit
Old 24th May 2009, 19:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Understood

I have heard that the 4WD has to be engaged by locking some stuff in the front of gypsy . If that is the case in raid where timings are an issue, how is gypsy a favourite. Does the new ones have some mechanism to change 2WD, 4WD without stopping and getting out?
Old 24th May 2009, 20:12   #14
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Understood

I have heard that the 4WD has to be engaged by locking some stuff in the front of gypsy . If that is the case in raid where timings are an issue, how is gypsy a favourite. Does the new ones have some mechanism to change 2WD, 4WD without stopping and getting out?
New gypsys do not require to come out and change.
Old 13th August 2009, 14:27   #15

modifying a Gypsy for Rally preperations

Dear All

Recenty i watched some clipings of SJOBA rally 2009 (youtube) and was searching for rally preparations or how a gypsy is completely modified before participating in Rally.
what are the modification required, with photos if possible would be much appreciated.
please share their experiences those who had attended the rally.

Most Viewed