Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2005, 11:43   #1
bhp
BHPian

should nos be allowed

should nitrous oxide be allowed in drag races as they are very dangerous and not legally allowed all over the world
Old 9th February 2005, 12:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

well racing itself is dangerous....as long as the nos kit is installed properly i dont think their is any danger in using it, as NOS by itself is not highly inflammable only when fuel is mixed does it become explosive in nature.
so all you FAST AND FURIOUS fans out there sorry to break your bubble as NOS will not explode on its own.
Old 9th February 2005, 13:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

This point has been taken on earlier and I do think the right question would be

"Should NOS powered cars be allowed to race with Normally aspirated cars?"

As for NOS exploding as iceman said NOS cannot explode on its own it breaks down to Nitrogen and Oxygen at 300 deg add fuel and you have a highly oxygenated explosive mixture.

As for the danger's guys who dont replace the bolts on the head's to high stress one's beware it is dangerous you may find the engine head launching through your bonnet
Old 9th February 2005, 16:11   #4
Team-BHP Support

can i put a friends quote here on NOS, PSYCHO what say
Old 9th February 2005, 16:25   #5
Tom
BHPian

'a NOS a day keeps the mech's wife away'...LMfAO
Old 9th February 2005, 16:26   #6
BHPian

Correct me if i'm wrong but I read in another forum that NOS is not dangerous.. And in if you consider the danger component, petrol is more dangerous than NOS!!! What say??!!

About allowing them to drag!! Well, may be in a separate class.. But they should be there...
Old 9th February 2005, 17:01   #7
Tom
BHPian

well that's a bumper sticker i saw here recently
Old 10th February 2005, 10:27   #8
BHPian

How stuff work

N2O

And some responses when I asked this in another sportsbike forum..

Quote:
Nitrous itself isn't dangerous. It's not even flammable. However, nitrous introduced to a flame is very explosive. Kinda like oxygen, oxygen alone won't burn, but introduce it to a flame and you've got a mess on your hands. Think of nitrous oxide as very VERY dense oxygen.
Quote:
That and don't expose compressed oxygen to oil based adhesives...
Oh and don't use Oxygen in place of Nitrogen in Shocks...
There's a funny story in "The Sportbike Performance Handbook" about a guy blowing up a shock on his dirtbike because he didn't have any nitrogen. He thought Oxygen would be a good replacement...
Quote:
Something else to look at is if a bike with a N2O tank goes down and the tank valve gets knocked off, theres a safety issue there. It could fuel a possible fire or worse case, it comes off its mount and becomes a missile. I'm not sure of the pressure N2O is kept at but I'm guessing 700-1200psi..
What do the experts have to say on this???!!
Old 16th February 2005, 15:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys... lets get this straight NOS is not dangerous on its own yes it is dangerous in high temprature areas as it is an accelerant ... but do remember that Petrol is way more dangerous in your car than anything else... and what about those vehicles that run on LPG... When was the last time you checked the fuel lines under your cars for corrosion / cracked rubber tubes?

I have had a petrol tank bursting right in front of me, have seen a guy being ripped tpo shreds when a tank of Helium that he was using to blow up baloons exploded... have seen a couple of maruti vans go up in flames due to the lpg kits fitted in them...

Most NOS kits have cylinders fitted with the following: a blow down valve if in case the pressure within the tank increases, a recco to empty the cylinders when they are not being used, metal reienforced tubes to deliver NOS, Solenoids that are 2 times the reccomended pressure rating.

Most of the NOS based accidents that happen are due to ignorance on how to use the system or home made kits (I have made one but am scared to use it till I get the right solenoids as I do not trust the ones I have with me as they leaked when I checked it with a CO2 cylinder) and also due to people doing crazy things with a full bottle installed in the car (smoking, welding, etc). And then there are guys who try to push the limits by running a higher shot of NOS and end up blowing up their engines.

The main thing that you all need to learn is that all explosive / dangerous substances need to be handeled carefully and there are precautions that have to be followed to the dot to make sure such accidents do not occur.
Old 16th February 2005, 18:27   #10
BHPian

Hey are there any incedents of accidents due to NOS here in India?!!

Just wondering why such a topic popped up....
Old 16th February 2005, 19:35   #11
bhp
BHPian

yeah there was blown up engine in a lancer in delhi according to sources
Old 16th February 2005, 22:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

yeah also my old engine...lost the rings because went overrboard on NOS...tried to take 75bhp shot and rings blew. highest anyone has gone so far in india i guess on an indian car.
and it did not "blow" up the engine just needed new rings....
Old 16th February 2005, 22:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

i heard sharath (red zen) blew his engine on nos at the speed run that just got over...pushed the magic button too early...valve springs couldnt handle the 10000rpm load...someone please confirm
Old 16th February 2005, 23:33   #14
BHPian

Although I havent actually seen a NOS car being worked on, I'd like to comment. Nitrous alone wouldnt make an engine run better, infact a stock engine running stock ignition timing would seriously detonate when the shot comes on.
I assume ppl are mapping the ignition to seriously retard spark timing when the button is pressed?
Old 17th February 2005, 10:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

you need to reatrd timing only after you cross a certain level of shot. for example my car timing had to be done only above 75 bhp. but in some above 40bhp needs a retard.need to check this with cars and nos specs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks