Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you pay Rs 150 as enterance to watch the Speedrun?
Yes, very happily 74 78.72%
Ok, although i feel its rather expensive 11 11.70%
No, its too much money to spend on Speedrun 1 1.06%
No, it should be a free event to propogate motorsport 8 8.51%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2005, 10:48   #46
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dont be that elitist, You may be able to afford a 1000 buck pass, but a school/college kid who loves cars even more than you cant spend his entire months pocket money on one pass for one day you know!!
Point very well made, Revvhead.

GTO
Old 13th July 2005, 11:10   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda
150 bucks is not expensive for someone who has a car or a bike.
cmon man we fill 150 bucks ka petrol.. 150 bucks is ok !!

I'm talking about the folks who wanted to price it at a 1000 bucks a ticket
I can pay either ticket with my eyes closed, but thats not the point

I dont know abt you lot, but when i was in college there is no way i could have got that kinda cash together- that too just for a day

I'm lucky that today, thanks to sloggin' my butt off, i can afford to walk into a Maruti shopwroom & walk out with a baleno,
But it dont mean that i forget that there was a time when i couldnt.

My point is that dont make it elitist, Do you think only guys who can afford to buy & run cars ahould be able to watch the speedrun?

You cant afford an F-1 car, but you still get to watch F1 at a pittance dont you
??
Old 13th July 2005, 11:22   #48
Senior - BHPian

I agree completely with revvhead. This way we would only loose would-be enthusiasts. But that idea of having different levels of pricing for different seating locations is pretty good. Even the venue should be changed like mentioned before...Autocar could learn a thing or two from the organised drag racing scene in the US.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 13th July 2005 at 11:23.
Old 13th July 2005, 11:28   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont know abt you lot, but when i was in college there is no way i could have got that kinda cash together- that too just for a day

i also wouldn't pay something like 1000 bucks for an evening to see cars run
though i will miss great evening but for a student 1000Rs by no means is accecptable

at the same time I wouldn't mind paying upto Rs200 to keep the quality of crowd

Quote:
150 bucks is not expensive for someone who has a car or a bike.
cmon man we fill 150 bucks ka petrol.. 150 bucks is ok !!
for most kids in collage mostly their parents pay for the fuel while other extra expenses they do it from their pocketmoney

same is case with me & for people i know
though i would pay upto rs200 (as said above)
just wanted to let you know other side of your statement

Quote:
As suggested you can have different levels of prices- for passes if thats the way you wanna go and have the free section beyond that
the problem with this system i have seen that inorder to make some money organisers give out almost all good places to priecy tickets & remaining cheap ones get some really sh***y place
Old 13th July 2005, 11:29   #50
Senior - BHPian

well i agree with revvhead....(also just buying a car does not let you race you gotta spend a lot to get it to race )
we have to take it form everyone's point of view and pocket.....when i was there at the speedrun i noticed that more than half the crowd looked as though they copuld not afford even rs.150....and relied on public transport....for them 1000 or even 150 is too much...what they need to do is be more organised and the first thing they need to do is change the location of the event...
reclamation point has no place for spectators...after that get stands made...have sections for Rs.1000 as well as have other sections where in it is easier to get in or is free. Bangalore had it such...there was one VIP section and teh other for the general public...only downside to bangalrore being the amount of dust kicked up by the cars and bikes NOT racing!!
Old 13th July 2005, 11:46   #51
Senior - BHPian

I dont think the idea should be to keep the event for enthusiasts only. i think the event should be able to spread motorsport in India and we should try and get more people interested in motorsport

but of course the event should be well handled. security should be good and safety should be a prority. We can handle large crowds effectively if we want

Last edited by khanak : 13th July 2005 at 11:48.
Old 13th July 2005, 14:09   #52
BHPian

I wud love to pay provided they have a well laid out viewers stand ...
I mean everytime there is just the VIP stand and people are flocking over everywhere around to get a glimpse ...
Why cant they just build proper stands and charge people money to so they dont have accidents and people dont walk on the qtr mile strech ...
Old 13th July 2005, 15:30   #53
Senior - BHPian

Could not comment, unless I see how interesting the show was

The more the crowd, participants are going to enjoy the race more. Hence we need to make the entry free. Set up costs can be collected from sponsors, where they have can advertise their product ( engine oil, tyres and anything related to two wheelers). If the event is eye catching, the following years will be more successful as the sponsors will be on their toes to secure a place.

This all depends on how we drive the show.
Old 13th July 2005, 15:38   #54
Team-BHP Support

The moment you give something free, it looses value. Charge a nominal amount, but CHARGE something. It may even be Rs.20 or Rs.50.
Old 13th July 2005, 15:59   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
The moment you give something free, it looses value.
For me it's NO. Free or chargeable, this has got no impact with the program.

If that speed run has become the talk of the town based on the way it was organized and the way the participants perform, will people stay away from it due to the free entrance? I guess they will not. Once they love to a part of it, it still has value in it.
Old 13th July 2005, 16:07   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
For me it's NO. Free or chargeable, this has got no impact with the program.

If that speed run has become the talk of the town based on the way it was organized and the way the participants perform, will people stay away from it due to the free entrance? I guess they will not. Once they love to a part of it, it still has value in it.
You misunderstood the value bit. Keep it free and you will have exactly the same situation as before where the hutmen and their kid's overran the event.

You charge a nominal fee like 20 or 50 and you will get some sort of order into the system.

As far as the value bit goes, look at the "free housing for slumdwellers" scheme. They get a free flat, and the first thing they do is sell it and put up another shanty and wait as they know in a few years they will get another FREE flat!
Old 13th July 2005, 23:22   #57
BHPian

paying up Rs. 150 --- upto 250 is good enough to keep away people who just flock together to see some good looking cars and pass their time.
Old 14th July 2005, 15:38   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkanitkar
paying up Rs. 150 --- upto 250 is good enough to keep away people who just flock together to see some good looking cars and pass their time.
erm , well is that not what we would be doing??

My point is exactly this, you will drive away guys who as of now may not be petrol heads or enthusiasts, but may get converted just because they loitered over to the speed run.

the Indian motorsports scene is still very small and nacent,
we need to do all we can to help it grow not kill it,

Hell, i owuld love to take my hweels out on a track day somewhere and rip around the track,
or even enter a completely stock race (same make cat),
But where's the track & where's the opportunity.
This abt the only chance that average joe can put his car on the track.
I'm hoping the publicity that the run generates will lead to a track of some sorts near Bombay at least.
years ago they used to race at the Juhu airstrip, but thats long gone now.
So if its growing, let it grow, Yes runa few controls, but dont stifle it!

Remember some of out top golfers in india started out as caddies, carrying their Seth's clubs, but given thetime & chance, beat them at the game!!
Old 14th July 2005, 16:08   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My point is exactly this, you will drive away guys who as of now may not be petrol heads or enthusiasts, but may get converted just because they loitered over to the speed run.
just because watching one speed run won't make anyone a die hard fan or anything
for that you need to have atleast some interest in racing
also on otherside some people find it a nice place to come with family & have outing (heck i have even seen people coming like that to industrial exhibitions)

Like RTech said people come their because it is free I can bet even if you charge Rs10 almost 25% of crowed will go away.
have you ever seen any celebrity surrounded by people who want their signature? do all of them really want it ? NO but then why do they take it? becuase its F-R-E-E

i can bet if that celebrity charges Rs5/- for his/her signature half crowed will go away & if he/she charges Rs10/- then only those genuine people who collect those signatures will stay.
Old 14th July 2005, 16:57   #60
Senior - BHPian

the point Revvhead is trying to make is that many people can become crazy about cars after attending the speedrun. of course there will be a few that wouldnt care about it at all and are there just for tp
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks