Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2008, 18:04   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
OK. Let me ask. I have the following questions. I am asking as a person who has NEVER participated in any of such events (desert storms/raid etc..)
  • Where do I start? On reading the various sites, it looks a very very daunting task considering the amount of paper work required. (MAI License, Competition License, Special Insurance for vehicle & self, Entry Forms etc etc..) We have problems getting the regular DL and here we need even more. This looks daunting. I am not saying that it would be, but it does give me that perception
Is there an easy step by step process that a person can follow.
  • What are the minimum things that I need to consider for my vehicle. Let me ask using my S10 and Gypsy. My S10 is pretty much stock. What should I focus on for the DS-09? Suspension, engine, Brakes etc? Which is most likely to get more stressed based on your experience? My Gypsy is a SOFT TOP. Are "Open Top" vehicles allowed?
More questions to follow soon..
A long list that.
First thing is that for participating in any motorsport event beyond your sunday family treasure hunt paper work is a must. Top of my mind the following are needed (apart from entry form)
1. Driving license for all who are driving - No comment
2. Competitor license - From ASN concerned, FMSI in India now.
3. Vehicle registration - Obvious but if you are not the owner then additionally you will need owners permission
4. Vehicle insurance - With endorsement for high risk coverage from your insurance company covering at least the period of rally.
5. Personal insurance - Ditto

Now why we need this? One is to ensure that in case of any mishap we are having all the informations at hand. Second to ensure that vehicle is legally compliant. Third, and very honestly, no organizer would like to spend time fighting legalities later on.

The second part of participating is your vehicle and preparation. The honest advise I can give you here is in the first instance come and participate in the Xplore/Ndure (two-wheel/four-wheel drive) version which run of TSD format. Lot of people have preception that TSD is sissy and not competitive enough. They could not be more wrong and at the same thime this give you and opportunity to see the area and Xtreme competition closely. Plus you can participate in any street legal vehicle without any modifications.

If you want to test waters this is what i would do. But hey you are welcome in to Xtreme all the same but be prepared to spend on minimum mandated saftey modifications like roll cage, seats, four point belts, etc.

@Krazydriver : In the TSD category even M800 is welcome and people have done it in past. I would not say the same for the xtreme though as I mentioned some where else, one of our official surprised hell out of us by driving through a section in his Wagon R (with three passengers!) which some of the Gypsy guys were saying is tough.

Desert driving is about experience and control andd even a 4x4 vehicle can bog down in a hurry if the driver is a a$$hole.

Quote:
Let me ask using my S10 and Gypsy. My S10 is pretty much stock. What should I focus on for the DS-09? Suspension, engine, Brakes etc? Which is most likely to get more stressed based on your experience? My Gypsy is a SOFT TOP. Are "Open Top" vehicles allowed?More questions to follow soon..
Okay assuming this is the Xtreme version of the event you are talking about first - Soft Top is no go. You will have to build a half cab.

If you do not have any Xtreme experience i would make out a plan to just have a reliability as my first and foremost point. And at risk of getting ignored say that in the first year only plan to finish. (there in your mind you have already skipped this wonderful advise)

Do not go in and blast out from word "Go" and end up as a wreck (or worse). I have seen many (and very experieneced drivers too) getting caught out as they pushed beyond endurance and busted their suspension or blew the engine. It is about endurance (man and machine) and persistance. Knowing where to slog it and where to ease it. Drive to a plan.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 31st July 2008 at 09:49. Reason: back to back posts within 15 minutes, please use miltiquote feature
Old 30th July 2008, 18:55   #17
BANNED

sudev, few doubts:
1. How does one apply for a competitor license? I will seek and find but if there's a quick link somewhere, would appreciate that.
2. Vehicle Insurance - how does one apply for this? If my vehicle is under factory / extended warranty + standard insurance, both of which specify the vehicle should not be used for racing, competition etc., is this something extra that I need to get?
Will this void any warranty I have?

Thank you for this thread.
Old 31st July 2008, 08:08   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicorex4x4 View Post
sudev, few doubts:
1. How does one apply for a competitor license? I will seek and find but if there's a quick link somewhere, would appreciate that.
You need to apply to FMSCI. Look up there web site and download forms for the needful. The Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India

Quote:
2. Vehicle Insurance - how does one apply for this? If my vehicle is under factory / extended warranty + standard insurance, both of which specify the vehicle should not be used for racing, competition etc., is this something extra that I need to get? Will this void any warranty I have?
Precisely. You will have to go insurance company and ask for extension of cover to allow high risk coverage for this period. Can not comment on extended warranty.

@ALL: Entries will only open on 1st September and not 1st August.

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st July 2008 at 08:40. Reason: Merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of postnig another consecutive post.
Old 31st July 2008, 09:43   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Okay assuming this is the Xtreme version of the event you are talking about first - Soft Top is no go. You will have to build a half cab.

If you do not have any Xtreme experience i would make out a plan to just have a reliability as my first and foremost point. And at risk of getting ignored say that in the first year only plan to finish. (there in your mind you have already skipped this wonderful advise)
Thanks sudev.

For sure, in 1st year, the sole objective would be to complete the event , enjoy the experience and learn from fellow participants.

Am planning to take part in N'dure event for the first year. NOT the X'treme:-).

Again, few questions/clarifications needed. :

In the N'dure version, would my Gypsy with the following mods be allowed to take part?
  • Open Cabin/Soft Top
  • Rear Overhang of the Gypsy cut to reduce it's over all length. (This includes cutting 'part of the chasis' from rear)
  • LSD in Rear Diff
Or do you suggest that I use the S10 for the N'dure?

I am sure many more T-BHPians will start participating in such events.

Quote:
You need to apply to FMSCI. Look up there web site and download forms for the needful. The Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India
..... Good that you mentioned it. I was under the impression that it is MAI (:: MAI ::)

BTW, there are dozens of forms listed on the page you mentioned. Which one's would be applicable for DS-09? Assume that one just has his/her own DL.

Also, what does apply to FMSCI mean? do we just fill in the form and courier/post the forms with details/payment to these folks? You sure that we will get the required licenses and we don't have to face the 'issues' that one faces while getting a regular DL

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st July 2008 at 11:44. Reason: Merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of postnig another consecutive post.
Old 31st July 2008, 16:46   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In the N'dure version, would my Gypsy with the following mods be allowed to take part?
  • Open Cabin/Soft Top
  • Rear Overhang of the Gypsy cut to reduce it's over all length. (This includes cutting 'part of the chasis' from rear)
  • LSD in Rear Diff
Or do you suggest that I use the S10 for the N'dure?
Open/Soft top is allowable in N'dure. I am not too sure about cutting chasis. For one I am not sure of regs here as street legal is the operative word here. Second I do not think this is going to give you any advantage. Rather on the converse it may make your vehicle less stable.

Quote:
..... Good that you mentioned it. I was under the impression that it is MAI (:: MAI ::)
It is the ASN - right now from 1st July for India it is FMSCI unless FIA does something funny again (rumors??!!)

Quote:
BTW, there are dozens of forms listed on the page you mentioned. Which one's would be applicable for DS-09? Assume that one just has his/her own DL.
Also, what does apply to FMSCI mean? do we just fill in the form and courier/post the forms with details/payment to these folks?
Yep you do that. If you are in Delhi you may head out to Northern Motorsport and ask Philip to do this for you collectively with others. You will need entrant and driver licenses.
Old 26th September 2008, 12:18   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Just started building the site at desert storm
sudev sir, the site is down?
Old 26th September 2008, 13:27   #22
BHPian

This is the website. DesertStorm
Old 21st October 2008, 16:46   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

FYI: All those interested in volunteering for Desert Storm 09 please register your email / contact with philip@motorsport.in.
In November we plan to conduct a First Aid and Marshal training course in Delhi and Jaipur. It would be advantageous for those interested in volunteering to attend one of these programs. No reimbursements.
Old 23rd December 2008, 18:18   #24
BHPian

Hi!

Dear Sudev,

Thanks for all your help I can see in this thread. If everything goes as planned, we will be there in a Ford Ikon 1.3

Since we are novices, the plan is to learn and experience TSD format to be used in Raid later this year.

What all preparation do you suggest for the car?

Thanks

Vinay Rathore
Old 23rd December 2008, 19:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

For the 2 wheel drive ones, is the track fully tarmac or rough as it is for the 4wd cars.

Is it advisable to take a Skoda Octavia or a Honda City there?
Old 23rd December 2008, 22:23   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

The Xplore track is going to be mix of tarmac (mostly) and off road (some). There would be sand and in good hands a 2w drive will make it through. Rule of thumb more the ground clearance better it is. If you do not want off road at all stay away. If you do not want to face challenges stay away.

Last year we had Alto, Swift, Corolla, Skoda, Innova and Scorpio 's So take you pick. But we do promise to take you through some amazing areas and experiences. PLUS this time a night out in the desert under the stars in your own camp around a biouvac tent for serving hot dinner and breakfast.

Also there are some changes in rules which are more competitor friendly but you need to understand that advantages come with penalties.

I am going off for a recce tomorrow and will try to post "en-route" or after I come back. Keep watching for new entries at the motorsport.in web site. There is also a FAQ section.
Old 29th December 2008, 07:30   #27
BHPian

Quote:
FYI: All those interested in volunteering for Desert Storm 09 please register your email / contact with philip@motorsport.in.
In November we plan to conduct a First Aid and Marshal training course in Delhi and Jaipur. It would be advantageous for those interested in volunteering to attend one of these programs. No reimbursements.
Hi Suden, I am intrested to join you guys as volunteer along with my 4x4 Jeep. I have already sent the application form to Philip (for me - Narendra Charan and my cousin Laxman Charan).

I guess the First Aid and Marshal training is yet to conduct, we both will attain that for sure in Jaipur.
Old 15th January 2009, 11:03   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

There has a been a change is the ending of Desert Storm 09. Now the end would be at Udaipur and the last leg has been changed to head back to Udaipur from Rann. A formal announcement is on the web site.

The impact on xtreme competition is minimal as only one small section is removed and rest of it was transport in any case.Xplore / Ndure will have one less night run and much less of highway drive. More at the link below:

Desert Storm 09 Program

The marshal training camp at Jaipur is on 18th January. Contact Sanjay Sankhla (Gattu) if you plan to attend here.
Old 22nd January 2009, 22:49   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

For concepts and detailed discription of how virtual and physical Time Controls would work Click here

Hope this helps. If in doubt post here or to motorsport.in and we will try to answer.

Also check out some of the pictures and stage descriptions.
Old 22nd January 2009, 23:25   #30
Team-BHP Support

Damn, I would be volunteering here if I was in the country. All the best for the event Sudev... Some other time I guess

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks