Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

View Poll Results: Is wearing the tri-colour disrespectful?
No way! Wearing the flag is patriotic! 35 67.31%
I'm all for sports persons wearing the flag, but not the janta! 13 25.00%
Yes, flags are meant to be strung up poles, just like people who wear them! 1 1.92%
Who cares! 3 5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2005, 11:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

guys,

to answer the question - No wearing the Tri-color is not disrespectful its the way we wear it or treat it that can turn disrespectful !

i have seen people throwing those paper flags on the roads after the Independence and Republic days are over - and then all kinds vehicles , animals , humans just trample over it without batting an eyelid ! thats disrespect !

and whenever i try to explain its - tumhara kaam karo.....so these days i just pick up the flag(s), if i find one on the road !

cheers
Old 7th March 2005, 11:24   #17
BHPian

wearing the tri-colour is not at all disrespectful, i think every indian should have the right to wear the tri-colour if he wants too

and there should be no issues about this at all
Old 7th March 2005, 13:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Its our Indian who is dis-respected to see a sportsman wearing the national flag.In a way they are right,as one can just remove the helmet and keep it on the ground,remove the t-shirt and just throw it anywhere.
But it should be left to the sportsman alone,as to what he wants.Is he feels like wearing it,go ahead do that.No one should be forced to do anything.
Its a respect towards the country in wearing the flag,but more of a dis-respect to handle it badly.
Anyways,i voted for 'who cares'.I really dont care what they do.Its not gonna change anything at all.Afterall winning or losing doen'nt depend on the national flag.

X
Old 7th March 2005, 14:07   #19
BHPian

i dunno why indians are so uptight about being patriotic...here in the USA..we are patriotic 24/7, 365 days of the year... Im hella proud to be an American!!! I dun think wearing the flag is disrespectful at all either...
Old 7th March 2005, 15:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

So, we're up to 28 votes now and still not a single vote against our sportsmen (and women!) sporting the flag on their gear! Keep the votes coming people!
Old 16th March 2005, 01:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

A late reply but I strongly feel that the Indian government is right in banning the Indian Flag from being worn even by sports personalities. One cannot ensure that Narain's helmet will be always kept in a respectful manner and that no one will ever stamp on it or kick it or let it fall on the ground.Even cricketers very often dive and fall on the field and get the flag in muck. Thus the ban. The Indian public got all senti and anti-government about the rule without thinking about why it was put in place. As for America I cant imagine seeing the Tiranga on a T shirt let alone my chaddis.................
Old 17th March 2005, 02:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

Frankly I think just flying the flag in our polluted cities gets it dirty, so what's the difference? Dirt need not = disrespect. As for whether the helmet gets kicked or flung, it's the helmet that's being flung, not the flag, that is the point the government seems to be missing. A picture or sticker of a flag is NOT a flag. It is merely a symbol, and getting all het up over symbols is pointless, in my opinion.
Old 17th March 2005, 02:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

So 1/37 so far agrees with the ban. Interesting! Keep the votes coming all of you who haven't voted yet!
Old 17th March 2005, 11:27   #24
BHPian

Finally someone dissagreed..
But like u said, its not that when we dive we get dirt on it, brings disrespect to the flag.. But the high that comes with representing the nation is increased with a flag on our jersy.. When u look at the mirror and see our flag on our jersy, i'm sure the feeling will do good to ones performance..
Old 17th March 2005, 11:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

Khanak,

wat abt the british / usa flag printed underwear that people wear and flaunt ? that is the most dis-respect you can have for ur flag. we are not going to do that - no Indian will ever do that im sure !

we here are just debating whether a sports person should have the flag printed on his gear or his shirt ! if he/she are proud that they are representing the country , why should the government have problems ?

and besides we arent the 1st country whose sports persons want a flag on their gear/dress .

the government is working with closed eyes.

i personally feel government should allow this !
Old 17th March 2005, 12:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

I am not strongly against sportperson wearing it. But, there has to be a protocol. You might wear it neatly whole day, but at the end of day, throw it down the floor or in wastebasket. It's a national flag and it has to be respected at all times. If it is not guaranteed, then no point wearing it for couple of hours to show off and then throwing it in dustbin. Law makers (not the current one, but the one who wrote constitution) were not stupid to specify elaborate rules of how an national flag be hoisted/preserved (and later buried if the cloth is wornout). There is nothing more sad to see children/adults carrying those plastic or paper flags on National holidays, which at the end of day, find their place in garbage, gutters, dustbins.

Better alternative would be let them wear tri-color without the Ashok Chakra.
Old 17th March 2005, 12:31   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Better alternative would be let them wear tri-color without the Ashok Chakra.
Now that acording to me is disrespectful..
Old 17th March 2005, 12:59   #28
Team-BHP Support

Ok, if you don't want to display the tricolour when our country's sportsmen are playing on the world arena, then when should it be displayed? Maybe it should be kept neatly folded in an airtight box!

The flag getting dirty is not disrespect. When a sportsman wearing a shirt with the tricolour dives to make a catch or hit a ball, it is not disrespect (duh!). When the flag you buy from the roadside on Republic day accidently falls, it is not disrespect. When someone proudly flies the flag at a match, it is not dispespect.

Disrespect is when someone burns the flag, when someone intentionally throws it on the ground and walks over it, when someone draws over it...that IMO is disrespect.

On one hand the Govt. makes it compulsory to play the National Anthem before a movie starts to, as they say, increase patriotism, but then they say that our sporting hero's who are out there giving it their all for the country cannot display the flag of their motherland on their apparel? That to me is disrespect.

Last edited by Rtech : 17th March 2005 at 13:00.
Old 17th March 2005, 13:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Rtech]
Quote:
Ok, if you don't want to display the tricolour when our country's sportsmen are playing on the world arena, then when should it be displayed? Maybe it should be kept neatly folded in an airtight box!
Somethings need to be done only in certain ways. Flag is not a toy to play around. As I said, I dont mind people using it, if only there is certain protocol about it.

Quote:
When the flag you buy from the roadside on Republic day accidently falls, it is not disrespect. When someone proudly flies the flag at a match, it is not dispespect.
Accidently falls? Really? More than 90% of those who proudly fly it at a march, dont even bother to see where it is after half an hour.

Quote:
Disrespect is when someone burns the flag, when someone intentionally throws it on the ground and walks over it, when someone draws over it...that IMO is disrespect.
Not proper usage is disrespect, whether intentional or unintentional. People are fired from jobs for hoisting flag upside down. Sure, they dont do it intentionally. Precaution has to be taken when you are doing anything with national pride.

Quote:
On one hand the Govt. makes it compulsory to play the National Anthem before a movie starts to, as they say, increase patriotism,
This practice was stopped because people used to start walking at the end of movie. Never heard national anthem before movie starting. Is this some new thing?
Old 17th March 2005, 13:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Never heard national anthem before movie starting. Is this some new thing?
RX - maybe u havent been to a movie hall in a long time it seems. the national anthem is played before the start of the movie reasons for which i still dont understand !!

Most Viewed