Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2008, 03:23   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Nanjappa. I guess she dosen't get a lot of attention, since she was always a navigator.
The lady can ride. RX or Roadking, she could ride like a pro.
Old 17th September 2008, 04:20   #32
BHPian

Flash back

I remember an incident when we talk about Mr.Abdullah and his daughter, just thought of sharing with you friends -

My First Race In Sep 2006 i participated Ucal-Rolon 150cc event in Novice Class, chennai track. During the pratice session the rear foot pegs of the bike were scuffing the track in corners. I was bit worried because I use to loose the control of the bike when there was a contact. When i told this to Mr.Khaleeli (65 yrs old X Bike Racer and a very dear friend of Mr.Pramod - Manager MMSC) he introduced me to Mr.Abdullah.

Mr.Abdullah spoke very kind gave me some tips handling the bike in corners and throttling/Gear shifting methods, maintaining the speed and many more ... Meanwhile his daughter interrupted in the conversation and was like - ' Why do you need all those you are just a new comer and expecting soo much .. Uhh do you wanna win the Cup '. I just kept quite did not respond. Mr.Abdullah then continued Racing is only for them who can spend money and lot of money .. Best of luck .. End of conversation.

Last edited by Samurai : 17th September 2008 at 07:39. Reason: removed font tags
Old 17th September 2008, 11:13   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Excuse me guys.

Is Alisha Abdullah being the first women racer in India? I don't really know. But i have my doubts.
Is Alisha Abdullah the only woman racer in India? Not really.

Apparently all this hoo ha about Alisha made me scavenge some old issues of Bike India coz i remember seeing some other racer girl being featured some time back. In Feb 2008 issue of Bike India a girl was featured, her name is Chitra Priya Rajalingam.

You can read about her in the link given below. I don't know how much of a racer she is, and maybe she's not as flashy, but to just to drive home the point that Alisha is not the ONLY woman racer.
The Southern Speedster

You are rite sankar, and her name is Chitra and you can see her around chennai in "Enticer"

cheers
Old 17th September 2008, 11:30   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Everyone's forgotten Anita Nanchappa already?
Wasn't she into rallies ?
Old 17th September 2008, 11:31   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Nawaz Bhatena - from the Bhatena Family.
Nope. That was Renuka Kriplani, who hosted the erstwhile CNBC TV18 Autocar Auto show. Maybe Nawaz Bhatena came later, because I wasnt a regular viewer of the show.
Old 17th September 2008, 11:36   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Wasn't she into rallies ?
Yeah, she was into rallies as a navigator, I guess she could ride too. Her famous husband Jagat Nanjappa is a member here.
Old 17th September 2008, 12:03   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Nawaz Bhatena - from the Bhatena Family.

I dont know who she is !! but i was referring to Renuka Kripalani and by the way the show is completely changed and it now running with overdrive and shreen bahn !!
Old 18th September 2008, 17:05   #38
BHPian

Way to Go for this lady racer! Its about time the Indian Automotive scene takes the front seat with no bars in pocket depth, age, sex or family background. It is sad to see why we still have to self sponsor our talents with no professional training or workshops available. All the Best Alisha and welcome to Team-BHP.cheers:
Old 22nd September 2008, 18:49   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
I dont know who she is !! but i was referring to Renuka Kripalani and by the way the show is completely changed and it now running with overdrive and shreen bahn !!
The show still exists! Renuka Kriplani and Hormazd Sorabjee from ACI host the 'new' Autocar show on UTVi News Channel.
Old 28th September 2008, 22:15   #40
BHPian

I have been to all the races held at the MMSC this year. But I have seen very little or no improvement in her racing. Its just the same....lift off at the middle of the front straight, brake much before the first corner and be way behind the other guys after a couple of laps except for the newcomers. I personally think it would have been better if Mr Abdullah had cponsored come other girl or guy with the talent but not the money...........remember Michael Schumacher was sponcored by his on track rivals dad during the early part of his career.......
Old 29th September 2008, 11:41   #41
Senior - BHPian

Anita nanjappa(we knew her as annie in school) could ride. She was one pro in it. I still remember the times we used to wait for them to start the bike and zoom off and we would just be quiet to hear the humm of the awesome yams roar. She has competed with the bathenas sometime if i am not sure. These were news which we could gather back at school.
Old 12th October 2008, 13:50   #42
BHPian

You tube link

Here's the link of Alisha in CNN IBN :

cheers
Old 15th October 2008, 14:23   #43
Senior - BHPian

I dont know about her prowess in the Indian bike class, but in the superbike race that i witnessed, she was wayyy back, even got lapped by at least 5 bikes. Here is a snap from that race.
Alisha Abdullah, the first & only woman bike racer in India-p9170110.jpg

Before that race.
Alisha Abdullah, the first & only woman bike racer in India-p9160066.jpg
Alisha Abdullah, the first & only woman bike racer in India-p9170067.jpg
Old 21st October 2008, 13:14   #44
BHPian

guys, go easy on her, atleast she has the guts and enthu to continue to race on a 600 CC bike where all her competitors are guys. forget the placings, if there is no participating racers, no races. which is better? and if she brings a bit of color to the track, how can anyone complain? how else you will have media and general public interested? by having 150CC mopeds ONLY? As for other riders lapping her during the race, I would encourage the keyboard warriors to try riding on a race track, and see where you are and how you perform. you will surely have new found respect for the racers. but I would encourage her to loose the "46" and "doctor" items from the suit. thats pretty lame. but its her choice as she spends the money.
Old 23rd October 2008, 06:49   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by renamo View Post
guys, go easy on her, atleast she has the guts and enthu to continue to race on a 600 CC bike where all her competitors are guys. forget the placings, if there is no participating racers, no races. which is better? and if she brings a bit of color to the track, how can anyone complain? how else you will have media and general public interested? by having 150CC mopeds ONLY? As for other riders lapping her during the race, I would encourage the keyboard warriors to try riding on a race track, and see where you are and how you perform. you will surely have new found respect for the racers. but I would encourage her to loose the "46" and "doctor" items from the suit. thats pretty lame. but its her choice as she spends the money.
Enthu, guts - yes. Hats off to the lady for participating. Having done that, she should expect the brickbats that comes along - I am sure she would be showered in accolades too, if she starts winning.

If only racers could comment on other racers, we would not have the F1 thread here, nor the other zillion forums across the world. As long as the observations are based on facts, what is the problem? esteem lover just said she was lapped. That is a fact.

The problem I see is, the lady at the back of the grid gets lot of fourth estate, but how much do the deserving folks get? Even in rallying,the media is usually after colour, rather than substance. All you have to do is land up in a skirt and get all the reporters scurrying after you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks