Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2005, 10:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tell us about your ontrack experiences!!

Quote:
Jigarmuni posted - its the racing circuit at sriperumbedur (Chennai) & one more at coimbatore.... They are formula cars with maruti engines. Infact we used very low pressures over there about starting from 19 to 21 depending on the weather conditions and the balance of the car. It has taken me almost 6 months to get in terms with heel and toe braking dude... dunt ask!!! requires a lot of practice!!
Why don't you tell us a bit more about you track experiences. How do those cars handle, compared to the road cars? What lap times do they manage? And also tell us a bit about the saloon class (Esteem - City) racing at these venues.

When OD tested a few stock road cars around the 1.2 km Sriperembedur track, the City 1.5 lapped it in 1min 24secs (standing lap), so i'm guessing that on a flying lap it might do it in around 1min 21ish.

How fast are the saloon class cars around that track?

And Rtech, we'd also like to read some off your experiences at Jim Russell's - Canada. Some important things to keep in mind while racing.

Anybody else into circuit racing?

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 8th April 2005 at 10:54.
Old 11th April 2005, 03:59   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Why don't you tell us a bit more about you track experiences. How do those cars handle, compared to the road cars? What lap times do they manage? And also tell us a bit about the saloon class (Esteem - City) racing at these venues.

When OD tested a few stock road cars around the 1.2 km Sriperembedur track, the City 1.5 lapped it in 1min 24secs (standing lap), so i'm guessing that on a flying lap it might do it in around 1min 21ish.

How fast are the saloon class cars around that track?

And Rtech, we'd also like to read some off your experiences at Jim Russell's - Canada. Some important things to keep in mind while racing.

Anybody else into circuit racing?

Shan2nu
well, the esteems do times of about 1min 16secs... these are stock esteems with freeflows! The Formula marutis do times of about 1min 12secs again stock engine with straight exhaust pipes. The Formula LGbs do times of about 1min 10secs. (Again stock engine with straight pipes) Both the formula cars are carbs. The esteems are MPFIs

In the Formula maruti we do an average speed of about 103kph, with a top end of roughly about 160kph.

If u want i also have the layout of the chennai track, the full 3.5Kms length...
Old 27th April 2005, 23:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigarmuni
well, the esteems do times of about 1min 16secs... these are stock esteems with freeflows! The Formula marutis do times of about 1min 12secs again stock engine with straight exhaust pipes.
Is this an Esteem only class or a 1300cc class. Sometime back I read in OD that a OHC 1.3 participated and won the race beating the Esteems. If so, why dont we see more OHCs and Ikon 1.3s. Its kinda boring to see a swarm of Esteems.....need some variety.
Old 27th April 2005, 23:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

We should have track days in Mumbai. Like in the UK where a bit of an airstrip is given to customers willing to pay a bit and then allowed to really push their cars. Though this doesnt really seem possible in the near future with the airport running over capacity and many planes having to wastefuel and time circling in the air waintg for the runway to be free. What happened to the drag strip that was going to be made here?

Last edited by khanak : 27th April 2005 at 23:40.
Old 28th April 2005, 01:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Is this an Esteem only class or a 1300cc class. Sometime back I read in OD that a OHC 1.3 participated and won the race beating the Esteems. If so, why dont we see more OHCs and Ikon 1.3s. Its kinda boring to see a swarm of Esteems.....need some variety.

yeah they did have a 1300cc category.... where in both the hondas and esteems were allowed...!! But since the last year or a couple of years.....Maruti Suzuki has been sponsering the event and taking keen interest in all the racing activities by Jktyres....so...i guess they removed the hondas from the circuit...!

But again from this year.... it seems that they are having weight categories....for cars....as well as engine categories....! Not too clear still about this issue....! They said that even cars with turbos ..etc..etc... will be allowed to race!
Old 28th April 2005, 01:27   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
We should have track days in Mumbai. Like in the UK where a bit of an airstrip is given to customers willing to pay a bit and then allowed to really push their cars. Though this doesnt really seem possible in the near future with the airport running over capacity and many planes having to wastefuel and time circling in the air waintg for the runway to be free. What happened to the drag strip that was going to be made here?

see all this is possible....provided... we have a group of people taking keen interest....and contacting the right peple.....in the right way to get all this work done...!! but who is willing to take the initiative...?????
Old 28th April 2005, 02:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigarmuni
see all this is possible....provided... we have a group of people taking keen interest....and contacting the right peple.....in the right way to get all this work done...!! but who is willing to take the initiative...?????
I think the drag strip in comming up somewhere. Read about it in the crashed Skoda thread. Track days arent possible cos the airport is running on almost full capacity right now unless we go in for the Juhu Airstrip or somthing.
Old 28th April 2005, 04:28   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
Track days arent possible cos the airport is running on almost full capacity right now unless we go in for the Juhu Airstrip or somthing.

No the area next to pawan hans is all empty.... infact the Simo Lampinen car driving school had taken place here a year back..!! The land at pawan hans is not been used at all...!!
Old 28th April 2005, 08:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

I believe Juhu airfield used to hold races back in the 80s.
Wonder what happened after that.
Old 28th April 2005, 15:21   #10
BHPian

yeah, they used to hold bike races and autocrosses.....!! Then god knows wut happened to them...! I think the local authorities stopped giving permission ...coz...of the accidents or some crap!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks