Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2009, 15:09   #31
BHPian

It was truely a awesome experience for a simple fact that I for the first time got to take part in a event that I had always dreamt about not to forget to mention the fact that this rally was a charity raiser for the blind which makes it a double memorable experience which will surely be cherished for a long time so to say till 13th DEC..eagerly lookin forward for the next event.

Never did I feel that my navigator Muhammad Bhai was blind, this guy did a exceptionally good job in his nav skill thou we got confused at two points, "my mistake "one at Lions Gate & second at BKC (took a wrong turn). but above all was truely impressed by my navigator.

Will regret the fact that I didn't get the opportunity to meet any of our fellow BHpians, as I had reached late and the flag off had already started, but sure will meet one & all in due course of time.

Thanks to Team-BHP for such a memorable & enjoyable experience.

"Sha09mel" aka Eeqbbal.
Attached Thumbnails
Report & Pics : The Blind Man Rally Experience, Feb 09.-100appleimg_0003.jpg  

Report & Pics : The Blind Man Rally Experience, Feb 09.-100appleimg_0004.jpg  

Old 16th February 2009, 15:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

All the pictures have come out really well. Everyone had a blast and no one was disappointed. Rush, even I had two navigators with me in my car. The second guy was my navi's friend so I was more than happy to give him a ride in my car. My navi was enjoying himself completely and humming tunes of today's Bollywood hits that I was playing. I especially loved it when he went Nana na na na when 'Pichle Saat Dino Mein' from Rock On was playing . I'm pretty happy with 18th considering it was my first time. Atleast I didnt do a Cyrus of last year.

@ Ankit: Very well organized and loved the way you lined up the cars for flagoff by their starting no., something which you dont see even at the VCCCI rallies when they take place. Great event and hope to see many more like these in the future. And oh yes Welcome to Team BHP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
I regret for not making it to this due to some family commitments. But next year I will participate for sure and not as a passenger but I will drive my own car. This is not to be missed
I said the above last year and I did participate in it this year. I couldnt be more happier.

Last edited by Dippy : 16th February 2009 at 16:11.
Old 16th February 2009, 18:26   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
They actually do, Ardy! Ahmedabad, Surat & Chennai are up next.

Ankit, as I posted in the other thread, a 60 minute training session for the navigators ought to be made mandatory. Will go a long way in making the BMR an even bigger success. My navigator didn't have a clue of the event, drive, his responsibilities or the purpose. He was merely asked to report at the NAB at 1600 hours by someone in his computer class.
GTO, The navigators are selected and called by NAB. We shall definetly take care for the next year that these navigators have to go through some basic test before being enrolled. Till then thanks a lot once again for all the support from you and the entire team of Team-BHP.
Old 16th February 2009, 20:07   #34
Senior - BHPian

I have participated in a couple of Rallies organised by NAB but was unfortunate to miss this one due to something urgent. Will be there for the next one.
Why cant we at Team-BHP have our own Rally and donate the proceeds to some charity for example an aged home or an orphanage or physically impaired? Maza ka Maza and all for a good cause. If not a rally then perhaps a treasure hunt covering Mahim to Town? What say guys?
Old 16th February 2009, 21:35   #35
BHPian

One of the nicest way to start a week. Great fun rallying and that to for a good cause.
A complete win win situation, sadly no BHpians on the podium I bet it be a different story if it was a time trail with positive points for finishing early.
I guess i should'nt complain for 29th position considering who my co-navigator was, who by the way had already plotted the route till Priyadarshini park, while just passing Atria. No wonder who got lost at haji ali and ended at tardeo.
Thanx Dippy for getting us out of that mess.
Old 16th February 2009, 21:41   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael schume View Post
One of the nicest way to start a week. Great fun rallying and that to for a good cause.
A complete win win situation, sadly no BHpians on the podium I bet it be a different story if it was a time trail with positive points for finishing early.
I guess i should'nt complain for 29th position considering who my co-navigator was, who by the way had already plotted the route till Priyadarshini park, while just passing Atria. No wonder who got lost at haji ali and ended at tardeo.
Thanx Dippy for getting us out of that mess.
No sweat. I think mine was the first Bhpian car to be flagged off. After that my phone was continuously ringing till I finished the rally
Old 16th February 2009, 23:40   #37
BHPian

guys hats off to each and everyone of you who contributed to this noble cause. i m truly proud to be a member of this socially responsible community. reading your posts brought smile to my face. i could feel the cool morning breeze and the fun you guys had. pics are also amazing.
cheers once again to this fantastic forum!!
Old 17th February 2009, 00:36   #38
Senior - BHPian

How many of you guys launched from the rally start like in a WRC round?
Old 17th February 2009, 01:58   #39
Team-BHP Support

Hi Ankit,

Thanks once again for a great event.
The organization was great, people were friendly and the whole experience was a pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitpp View Post
....Please do put in your comments on things that you think we need to improve upon....
A few suggestions: (continuing from where we left off)

1) Registration
- This seemed like a place where a lot of candidates "dropped out" - simply by never getting around to signing up!
The requirements for the signup are : Registration form, declaration, 3 photos, xerox of RC, xerox of tax paid, xerox of liscence, note from car owner, payment.

Boiling it down to what was truly necessary pre-briefing :
- Registration form (name, tel no, DOB, liscence number, liscence exp, no of passengers)
- Payment

Thats it!

I know there are official reasons you need all of the above, however, those things can be handed over / checked on the day of the breifing itself. Sure, it will need more man-power from NAB/RTI, but i think the increase in signups due to an easier first step will make it worth it!

Lock the prospective drivers in early with a simple online form + online (credit card / paypal) payment. (Atleast you're guaranteed the $ contribution if they dont show up).
The online submission also reduces your back-end work, since noone will have to transcribe the written forms - since you were using computers for pairing etc anyway.

2) Navigators
- Though my navigator didn't seem like he was entirely comfortable conversing in english, he could read braille quite well, and really got into the groove of things as the rally progressed!
However, a few others got navigators who could not read braille, and eventually had to switch them.

Personally, i think a 3 line reading test is good enough. They should be able to read 3 lines of braille, within X seconds and be able to get the point across. Thats it!

However, its not entirely feasible to get the navigators to come to NAB especially to take this "test" -- and especially when some people *cough*cough* are too lazy to even go to dadar to submit a form (see point 1)

My suggestion - have this three-line reading test on the day of the breifing itself. If they pass, they can be a navigator. If they do not, no need for their fun to end there -- they can be a CO-Navigator!
This means they too get a braille sheet, but they sit at the back of the car as a secondary navigator. They read (to themselves) as the main navigator reads and ofcourse can chime in with corrections, suggestions or questions along the way. It will be a practise and fun experience for them as well.

3) Checkpoints
- Some checkpoints were on very wide streets just after turns, and some drivers saw them too late and had to pull some dangerous maneuvers cutting across traffic to get to them... The checkpoints in smaller deserted streets worked much better and were tricky too!

4) Jackasses behind us
- Could we also have a REAR sticker next time please? No need for the number, but maybe something that clearly says "BLIND MAN RALLY" so that cars/cabs don't keep honking behind us when we are driving at 25km/h or lining up for a checkpoint.

5) The rally procedure/notes
- It was confusing at times. Initially that was scary, but it worked out well for us - maybe because our (Team-BHPians) lifeline was always to follow another car with a TBHP sticker, or "call a friend", so getting lost did end up being fun for us on occasion. Not sure how it would have turned out if i didnt know anyone participating. Maybe if there was some way to just "give up" on a segment and get directed to the next checkpoint if youre thoroughly lost?

- A description of CUMULATIVE and SPLIT would be useful for the first timers.
(Also other "official" terms - tulip, etc - Or maybe make it more "normal" language and less WRC -- but i guess this part is in MAI/FMSCI's control ?)

6) Entertainment
- There was a fairly large guy in red shirt, i forget his name.. Zava... something. I think if you make him wear a dress and dance around or something like that it might be a crowd puller. They say even bad publicity is good publicity ?

For me, #1 is the most important and will help all parties to benefit in the long run.
If an easy on-line registration happens, i will personally sign up some of my friends next year, and im sure there will be others too.

Ooh, another point - if doing an online regn, allow sign-ups to contribute over and above the suggested entry fee IF they feel like it. Maybe also allow just plain DONATIONS...no need to participate. On-line is a good unintrusive way to ask for donations!

And another - use new-age social media. Make a facebook group/event, orkut, etc etc - you'd be amazed at how many people will come in through these channels, or atleast learn about the rally or donate.

------------------------

Please dont let my fairly long post above let it seem like this rally was badly organized in any way!

It was the best organized automotive (or other?) event i have been to in Bombay.

- These guys had laptops at every counter with all the driver, navi details for the check-in and pairing.
- They had name/number tags for every participant and navi
- Every official was in a recognizable Tshirt + tag
- Every checkpoint marshal was in a bright red poncho + bright red umbrella
- They gave us snacks (juices, water, sandwiches, samosa, chocolates) at the flag-off, to eat during the journey
- They managed to flag off 60+ cars IN ORDER (not an easy feat when people are allowed to park almost wherever they want on arrival)
- They even had designated parking spaces for different number ranges!!! (Though, as mentioned above, they werent really used)

Cheers, and see you in December.
Rehaan.

PS - Question for you : Given the logistical constraints, what is the maximum number of cars you would allow to participate in the rally...?

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th February 2009 at 02:14.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2009, 10:43   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha09mel View Post
It was truely a awesome experience for a simple fact that I for the first time got to take part in a event that I had always dreamt about not to forget to mention the fact that this rally was a charity raiser for the blind which makes it a double memorable experience which will surely be cherished for a long time so to say till 13th DEC..eagerly lookin forward for the next event.
Hey, familiar car! I recollect seeing this car a couple of times over the course of the rally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
How many of you guys launched from the rally start like in a WRC round?
Some of us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
- This seemed like a place where a lot of candidates "dropped out" - simply by never getting around to signing up!
Smart point; lock-in ought to be simpler for maximum results. Online registration for info + payment rocks. The necessary paperwork may be brought along at the pre-event briefing.

Quote:
and some drivers saw them too late and had to pull some dangerous maneuvers cutting across traffic to get to them
Most of all, MANSON! Thank God there were no DCPs enroute.

Quote:
There was a fairly large guy in red shirt, i forget his name.. Zava... something. I think if you make him wear a dress and dance around or something like that it might be a crowd puller. They say even bad publicity is good publicity ?

Quote:
Maybe also allow just plain DONATIONS...no need to participate.
Well, our real contribution was not the Rs. 1,000 participant fee, it was the time spent on driving. Participant fees would make up barely 5% (or less) of the funds raised from such a drive. The more the number of cars participating, the higher the corporate donations.
Old 17th February 2009, 11:05   #41
BHPian

Quote:
3) Checkpoints
- Some checkpoints were on very wide streets just after turns, and some drivers saw them too late and had to pull some dangerous maneuvers cutting across traffic to get to them... The checkpoints in smaller deserted streets worked much better and were tricky too!
Agreed especially the one at Phoenix mills .

I missed it because i think there was a black Scorpio and a couple of other cars covering the checkpoints. Only to realize i didn't have any further instruction to follow. the book was over

The ones at mantralaya and Hanging garden were brilliant. The one after mumbai university was also very very appropraite.

P.S. : What about the FMSCI licenses. Are we areally gonna receive them later on ?

Last edited by leadf00t : 17th February 2009 at 11:23.
Old 17th February 2009, 11:55   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
....Well, our real contribution was not the Rs. 1,000 participant fee, it was the time spent on driving. Participant fees would make up barely 5% (or less) of the funds raised from such a drive. The more the number of cars participating, the higher the corporate donations.
True point.
Then i guess thats where the "new-age social media" pays off. Advertisers want eyeballs, and scores of people posting their pics on facebook etc serves that purpose. I already see a few facebook albums this year - but a more organized approach (official facebook club/group before the rally - mentioning SOME details and sponsors) would go a long way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post
...I missed it because i think there was a black Scorpio and a couple of other cars covering the checkpoints.
Manson again!
...but yes, this was one that i was referring too, Dippy was cruising by it infront of me and i had to honk to alert him, and then he had to pull some F1 maneuvers.

Quote:
...The ones at mantralaya and Hanging garden were brilliant....
Absolutely!

Quote:
...The one after mumbai university was also very very appropraite....
I thought this was a bit hard to see and tricky too (wide, fast road, and just after a turn).

cya
R
Old 17th February 2009, 12:45   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Manson again!
...but yes, this was one that i was referring too, Dippy was cruising by it infront of me and i had to honk to alert him, and then he had to pull some F1 maneuvers.
I am not too sure if it was manson.

There was another lady driving a Scorpio who won the all women prize. She was insane at times esp while driving in BKC. She overtook me from the right and zipped in to a wrong left and i was like ( abusing only to realise a blind car rally sticker and then a lady at the wheel) I guess that explained the sudden move. (no offense meant though for the ladies )

Ankit I would suggest making the Checkpoint slightly more visible.

Just a umbrella (easily covered by a Scorpio) and a 3 4 sq feet board lying on the rear windscreen on a car or hanging by a bike cna be easily covered.
Moreover if there are more cars the orange marshals too cannot be easily seen.

Yes the clue is looking at the cars standing by (with number Stickers) however those too can be easily overlooked if say you are overtaking another car.

the slightly understated checkpoits did add to the fun factor but didnt help anyone for reducing the penalty points. I got the most penalty points when i missed the pheonix mills chcekpoint.
Old 17th February 2009, 13:17   #44

Guys,
With regard to the check points, they are decided by the fmsci... Also we cannot put anything huge due to BMC issues. Last year they came after us and removed a few umbrellas from the marshal points. Hence give me some suggesstions which make the marshalls more visible.
With regard to the Licence from FMSCI, we are trying to override the same as it adds up to an unnecessary cost without any practical use. We had an MAI licence issued till last year which cost us 250/- per driver. Why not use that money for charity instead?
We shall be trying to make the forms more simpler by next year and also a facility of payments being deposited at any HDFC Bank directly in our account.
Shall also add a Sticker for the rear of the car (may be a small one mentioning the rally)
Thanks
Ankit
ankitpp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2009, 13:26   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
...The one after mumbai university was also very very appropriate....
Thought this was a bit hard to see and tricky too (wide, fast road, and just after a turn).
Just opposite the Mumbai Univ gate, GTO overtook me (his FFE making a deep drone) said " terrific route na", accelerated hard and took a "wrong" right turn at the fork.

He did see me taking the correct left turn hoping that it was me who took the wrong turn . He did realize that later i was correct. only to laugh it over at the post rally discussion

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks