Team-BHP - Report: Lavasa Women's Rally
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Indian Motorsport (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-motorsport/)
-   -   Report: Lavasa Women's Rally (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-motorsport/55965-report-lavasa-womens-rally.html)

Hello,
I took part in the Lavasa Women's Rally, held Sunday 29th March. It was organised in support of breast cancer awareness. 250 cars participated which meant over approximately thousand women. The team was one driver and one navigator but they were allowed two supporters. In the time-speed-distance format, we were given a tulip chart at flag-off, Bandra Reclamation. There were some seasoned rally drivers and others who were rally first-timers (including me).

The rally started off in clockwork precision, our flag-off time was accurate to the minute. There were all sorts of cars, from a Maruti 800 to an Audi A6 to gypsies. The total distance from flag-off to finish line was approximately 225 km. There was also a compulsory 20 minute break along the route. More information later, along with images hopefully. :)

1000 women. 250 cars. 225 K.Ms. Just great! Awaiting detailed info with pics. You must have enjoyed participating.

Msbehave...thats one hell of a rally of 225kms.Im sure all the women folk enjoyed this rally.Do post some pics soon.

Lucky of you to have got a chance to participate in such a great rally. How much I wanted to be a part of this event. May be next time.

Do post all the pics and a detailed report if possible.

Mansi

That's a great rally and initiative for a good cause.

I am amazed at the turn out of participants ... Do post some pictures.

225km !!!! That is quite a route!

Do put up some pictures. A bunch of Team-BHPians had participated in the Blind Man Rally (TSD) a few weeks back (~60kms), check that out here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor-...-feb-09-a.html

cya
R

PS - im still shocked @ 225km!
(and i know this could be considered to not be in the "right spirit" but i thought i'd mention it just for the sake of statistics : 250cars, avg 12km/L, 225km, 45Rs/L = a total of 2.10 Lakhs worth of fuel :D )

TSD rallies are fun. Like Rehaan said, alot of us participated in the Charity Blind Man Rally in Feb. It was a Sunday well spent for a cause. 225 kms is quite a distance. Hats off to all those ladies who participated.

@manaa45 and other lady members:

Maybe you guys can participate next time around and take us guys passengers :)

@msbehave: How about a detailed report with pictures?

I wonder why these long distance rallies are always only for women!! Something to do with the "Mad Speed gene" in men perhabs!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dippy (Post 1238987)

@manaa45 and other lady members:

Maybe you guys can participate next time around and take us guys passengers

Dippy,

Confused kya ? :D

225 kms. WOW! That must have been some rally. Our Blind Man's rally's 60 km (approx) route took nearly 3 hrs. but then you were probably allowed higher speeds. How long did this take? Do put up some pics. I had no clue about this event at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by normally_crazy (Post 1239394)
Dippy,

Confused kya ? :D

hahahaha. Dippy, there are people here who dont know that this forum does have female members, please dont make this more difficult for us to explain. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikram18 (Post 1239413)
225 kms. WOW! That must have been some rally. Our Blind Man's rally's 60 km (approx) route took nearly 3 hrs. but then you were probably allowed higher speeds. How long did this take? Do put up some pics. I had no clue about this event at all.

As per the report, it took 5 hours.

225 kms would suffice a drivers craving for sure:)
Awaiting detailed reports on route taken and a scan of the map if available alongwith some pictures.
@lady members: time to step out of the closet and into the roll cage:thumbs up

ok, here's the first bit,

The flag off was at the grounds opposite Lilavati. Depending upon the number one was given, cars had started assembling 6am onwards. A few celebs made it early in the morning to kick-start the event. After confirming our phone numbers and blood-type, we were free to wander around, pick up free bottles of water, chai/coffee and food too!Participants were giving each other the thumbs-up and wishing each other best of luck.

Car 001 left flag-off at 7am, so as Car 113 I had until 8.30 to take walk around. At flag-off, I [navigator] was handed a 17 page Tulip Chart, my time control sheet and a sheet with emergency numbers. Other than the driver, we had two co-supporters at the back. We had to take the Worli sealink and pass via Kalanagar to pass Dharavi to get to Chembur at 30kmph.

The route was a familiar one, but luckily we realised that there was a diversion into diamond garden at chembur for a somewhat hidden time-control and then back out again. Sneaky sneaky! Most of our in-city driving was at 30kmph or lower. We spotted rally cars off and on and exchanged thumbs-up with them. The tulip kept us busy as time-controls were tucked away subtly, leading us into palm beach, vashi and back out
We had done about 4 TC's by then, keeping me too busy to take any pictures. Finally, we joined NH-4!

@manaa - its unfortunate you couldn't make it. One of the organisers told me they had 600, yes, a whopping 600 entries and they had to turn down many women.

@rehaan - really enjoyed reading about the blind mans rally.What an excellent cause and a wonderful experience. I would love to participate next year if possible!

@cyrus43 and vikram18@ - we were allowed 60kmph on the highway, but we also had to do 20, 27 and 25kmph for somewhat long stretches. We were almost catatonic at the end of those! It took an average of 5-5&1/2 hours for most it seemed.

@Ali G - will try to give detailed reports on route as well as pictures. No map was given.

Resuming the narrative, once we hit NH-4 (after approx 35kms of in-city driving), we were allowed a speed of 60kmph. We enjoyed open roads - low traffic and saw other rally cars. We really enjoyed the the highway, took a breather from the navigation, before we pulled in to the TC at Foodmall just before the ghats towards Lonavla. This was the 20min break spot. Apart from a bio-break, we also received complimentary box of sanwiches, batata-wada and a mazaa drink.

20mins seemed to pass by very quick. We signed at the 'out' TC and were off again, towards the ghats. Truck traffic was manageable and rally cars were seen everywhere. Just before we hit pune, we checked in with a TC at a BP petrolpump just off the expressway. After about 50km of driving from the foodmall break spot we exited expressway near the somatane/dehu road exit.

The traffic was high here and roads crowded. Took some creativity to keep our average speeds up through Baner Junction and past Pashan. Luckily, it was pretty much a straight road until we hit Chandani Chowk, where there was a TC. There was a pile-up of rally cars and we waited about 3min to get our sheet signed. After that, I remember a jumble of curves and going up and down, not knowing exactly where, although, luckily we were on track as I saw 'Up & Above' Restaurant on the tulip chart. Straight onward, we paid Rs 27 at a toll plaza and were off. Curvy narrow roads with considerable small-town traffic greeted us.This eased up after taking many left and right curves and after passing Bhukum and Bhugaon villages, we hit Pirangut ghat.

From Pirangut ghat we drove onto mutha ghat and passed through villages of Urawade,mutha, aandgaon, kharande, kolavade and lavarhde. We also passed by the imposing Temghar Dam. We did approx 32km of driving on these ghats- magnificent roads, but we were allowed speeds of 20kmph and 27kmph. There were 3 TC's on the ghat. The drive to lavasa is well sign posted after the Temghar dam. There was a huge gate welcoming us to Lavasa [and one TC] and more well constructed curvy roads after it.

The drive in Lavasa was indeed very picturesque, and we had ample time to enjoy it at 30kmph. We also saw rally cars making their way back home. After approx 10km, we saw an arrow and then a gurkha pointing our way towards the finish line. Waiting in a line of cars, we clocked in and were greeted by an all women band!

Parking was well organised and we joined other rally participants for golas, candy floss, popcorn, biryani lunch and dancing! After much revelry and a good meal, we headed back to Bombay. But, not before we stopped at a food mall CCD just before Lonavala [most other rallyists seemed to have the same idea]. At 8pm, the CCD there was besieged by us women. The unsuspecting chaps working there didn't know what they were in for! Their coffee machine finally gave way and spluttered all over the floor.

All the women I spoke to said they had a wonderful time and would definitely do it again!