Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2009, 13:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Reached v1p3rs place at 5am just got home..

Thanks Gopi for arranging the REdbull!
Old 6th April 2009, 13:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
That RS was running Ad07s earlier. He's running Contisportcontacts now. He says it's good for drifting .
IIRC the car was on running on advan only but the tyres were pretty worn out. i am not too sure about the car, but i remember that i saw the advan tyres

MOD: please move all the post trackday post to this thread, it would be better IMO .....

Last edited by Rahulkool : 6th April 2009 at 13:52.
Old 6th April 2009, 13:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

binoy where are the pics????
Old 6th April 2009, 13:59   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
IIRC the car was on running on advan only but the tyres were pretty worn out. i am not too sure about the car, but i remember that i saw the advan tyres

MOD: please move all the post trackday post to this thread, it would be better IMO .....
Really? Then I guess he must have got out his old set for the trackday. I met him hardly a week ago. He was running Contis t hat time for sure. One even had a bulge.
Old 6th April 2009, 14:08   #20
BANNED

I had a lot of fun yesterday. Thanks to all who made it to the track. I'm sure I was off the competitive times by a few seconds and if I got in anybody's way, sorry about that.
Old 6th April 2009, 14:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
For sometime I was really amazed at the 1min-plus timings Rahul posted - till yzfrj cleared up the confusion.

The Elantra was just amazing. Was not surprised to see that it rang in the best lap timings. 200bhp vRS not withstanding.
BRILLIANT!

Do you think its the vehicle .. or the driver (or both!). If Rahul was driving I am not surprised - he is one of our better drivers!

On the whole BOY am I glad I booked an Elantra!
Old 6th April 2009, 14:21   #22
BHPian

Phew.. One hell of a day, wasn't it? Got to know a few people. Unfortunate that the turnout by Chennai members was rather lean. Guess the Sepang race is to blame

Was only my second time on the track in a car. Had truck loads of laps under me on two wheels but cars were quite a different experience altogether. So took a few laps to get acquainted to the lines as well as the limits of the car. The ikon always had bad brakes and to add to that I had a brake fluid leak which i noticed only the night before. So carried a can of Brake oil along to top up every time the indicator came on. It was a minor leak so it was not really an issue. But decided to stay clean and not get adventurous. Despite that, I had a moment at C2 when I had my brakes stuck and the car just refused to turn in. Guess I went in a little too hot, went over the kerbs sideways and managed to stop the car just beyond it. Drove back into the pits. Besides that it was an awesome outing on the track but for the unrelenting heat. The car was a dream around the fast corners especially around C1 and the faster corners around the back end. It was the slower corners where the car hardly had any grip and had a tendency to slide. Tried correctng it to an extent by adding throttle inputs but did not make much of a difference. Anyway it was a learning experience. Could not time myself. The only lap I could get an approx time for was the inboard shot for 2 laps where I calculated the time using the camera's recording timer. It wasnt the quickest I went since I pretty much did the whole lap in high gears without pushing too hard. Was one of those laps just for the camera.. Infact did C10, probably the slowest corner in third It was a 2 :35 dead. Shall put up that video soon.

@ iceman - thanks for the compliments with regard to the exhaust.

I shall upload a few photos and a couple of videos as soon as my bloody camera manages to sync with the laptop.

A few cars were adorable
The RD SX4, Vikram Ji's swift (It was saddening to see his car come in spitting smoke) guess it spent most of the time after that in the pits, the SAFARI IMO was the show stopper. Infact I was surprised with how it was managing C1 at quite good speeds with not much of visible body roll. The 2 RS ... guess they were expected to be quick. Iceman's baleno looked quick. The M800 definitely looked quick.

Not many pics? Im sure Madan should have quite a few. Saw him stationed at the end of the back straight and C9 with his BAZOOKA for quite a while.

PS: Sorry If I was in anyone's way.

Last edited by petrol_head : 6th April 2009 at 14:24.
Old 6th April 2009, 14:52   #23

Track day pics..

Hi everyone, I am posting few snaps I took yesterday. It was fun being there. I was really tempted to drive around the track, but restrained myself, since my Swift D is yet to complete its first service. Enjoy...

I thought a brief intro of all would have been nice.

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags.
Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post.
Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support
Attached Thumbnails
TRACK DAY? P & P Report-dscn2067.jpg  

TRACK DAY? P & P Report-dscn2054.jpg  

TRACK DAY? P & P Report-dscn2053.jpg  

TRACK DAY? P & P Report-dscn2060.jpg  

TRACK DAY? P & P Report-dscn2079.jpg  

TRACK DAY? P & P Report-dscn2083.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th April 2009 at 14:56. Reason: font tags
Old 6th April 2009, 15:04   #24
BHPian

Some brilliant pictures of the track and the mean machines ... It sure looks like everyone (participants / onlookers) had great time.

I love the alloys on the Black RS
Old 6th April 2009, 15:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Nope. The Black vRS was on Continental tyres.

I was at the track for sometime. Had to get back for some work. Plus I hardly knew anybody there except nitrous. I was the only guy with a DSLR I guess But the temp was way too high yes'day! :(

I'll upload the "few" pics that I took up yes'day.

Plus I was too psyched out looking at those wonderful machines. Esp the vRS!

Last edited by Fountainheader : 6th April 2009 at 15:08.
Old 6th April 2009, 15:06   #26
BHPian

I too had a lot of fun on my first track experience. Felt that there would be a lot of cars on Sunday, and also

wanted to meet friends so left to Chennai on saturday and just before entering chennai put in some laps.

I drove a i10 1.2 fully stock (except for the music system), was in the track at 12.30pm and started driving like a

nut from lap 1. My car was loaded with my bags, subwoofer etc and just as is started learning the track, but ran off

on C3 the first time itself, so after 5 laps I wanted to time myself to know where I stand so i did a 2.38.

Then passed over the control to my brother, he put in some laps and we were in competetion, he did a best of 2.42.

The only difference in his driving and mine was that I read a few books on how to go faster (speed secrets) and I

knew I needed to balance the car and concentrate on exiting the corners faster on full throttle, my brother didnt

care about that he was just driving rash, there were times the tires were screaming and he would add more degs to

it... no mercy.

So the next session of laps, though I didnt know the ideal lines knew where I can save time, so started putting in

some laps at 2.38s and then slowly built up the guts to take the c1 close to flat out ( this was the toughtest part

for me) and managed a 2.32. By then when we inspected my tires on the front left, I could see the metal wires on it (

I had done just 2500 kms on my car ). Felt it was not safe to drive on those tires and swapped it with my spare tire.

Put in some more laps and left for the day at 4pm thinking hard about why I did not follow 80% of the readings and

knowing I was just rash.

Was waiting for Sunday to see the pros at work and to learn their braking points lines etc, so didnt want to drive

since I wanted to learn more by watching. So I watched all the cars on the track at all the corners, but

unfortunately when I wanted to give feedback on them, it looked like lots of drivers interchanged and I had no clue

who was driving when. Except that one name was mclarren, so finally I met the man, every driver was very busy couldnt

chat much with any of them.

But by watching individual corners, I just couldn't figure out the lines. So I knew that someone needs to take me for

a lap, so asked mclarren and then memo54 was kind enough to take me out. I thought I will learn a lot from mclarren

and didnt know memo54 at that time. But then his attire of racing shoes, gloves, big brand helmet said something

about him.

So sat in akshay's swift, and that car and driver was magic... after putting all those laps on my i10, I could

immediately appreciate the driver and the car... I have a big smile on my face now just recollecting that one lap.

He was so smooth, and the car was just talking to us, I feel in love with that swift. I was constantly looking at the

exit speeds and comparing with my i10, it was atleast 10 kmph faster and the power delivery was fantastic. But what I

like about the car where the traction and the setup, I never felt it understeer any where compared to my i10.
But again it might be a different story if I was driving that car. And memo's lines where an eye opener.

I was breaking my head on 3 turns, one was after the back straight turns left for a fraction and then a long constant

right. I used to take that left and right imediately and knew the car was unbalanced for the right, but felt there

was no road to be smooth. But memo's line was a eye opener, he slowed down a bit more hugged the chicane and slowly

turned right... wow. The traction in that car amazing. Also on the next constant right, he was taking the inner line,

where as I was exiting using the entire road, but he said that is not the fast line. Another turn I was doing all

wrong is the left and right (the call it the C I guess) before going over the bridge, again going smoother was the

key.

So after that fantastic experience on driver and car, i put in my life maps that I need to get a swift and start

putting more laps to be close to the driver memo.

Finally, i wanted to put a few laps in my i10 to remember the lines and by just taking it easy i did a 2.35.

After that I immediately started back ( the heat was killing me ), so started at 5.15 pm kept the car at a steady 100

- 120, and reached ambur for lunch/dinner at 6.45 and reached Bangalore 9.30pm.

Long post, sorry.

Thanks to Mclarren, memo, who was v1p3r i wanted to meet him also. Was glad to meet nitrous. Also I enjoyed watching

manek on his 800 fantastic driving. Was a sight to see the elantra exiting c1 at full clip, cant forget it in a

hurry.
reddream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2009, 15:14   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Well, it is still giving out a little bit of un-burnt oil smoke from the exhaust. The car is in the garage as we speak. It is going to get worked on only in a couple of days time as Vasu is busy with another couple of cars.
Similar thing happened to me once before. The mechanic had poured 5L of oil instead of 4L. Oil tries to come out through all the weak seals sort of. In my case it was the piston rings and valve stem seals. Had to partially rebuild my engine after that. Vasu anna would know as he rebuilt it for me. In your case the dmage might be a lot less bcas of the G15 block that you are running I guess. Lucky you
Old 6th April 2009, 15:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie View Post
Oil tries to come out through all the weak seals sort of. In my case it was the piston rings and valve stem seals. Had to partially rebuild my engine after that. Vasu anna would know as he rebuilt it for me. In your case the dmage might be a lot less bcas of the G15 block that you are running I guess. Lucky you
This is exactly what happened with my car. The oil first came out of the dip stick pipe. When we clamped that down, the oil went into the turbo through the oil return line. And this was the white smoke everybody saw and assumed that I had blown the engine.

Moreover this was happening in stock engined cars too. Even on Amit's car oil came out of the dip stick pipe on the first few laps. But once the level settled down everything was ok with his car.

I consider myself lucky for the G15 too. Thanks once again Amit.
Old 6th April 2009, 15:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics guys.

Amit, is that your baleno in post #23 (with alloy wheels and the hood popped up)?

Were there any SBK's on track? IIRC someone mentioned there were a few sessions for bikes as well.
Old 6th April 2009, 15:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

The bike session was in the morning from 9:00am to 1:00pm.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks