Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2009, 10:57   #31
BHPian

nkapoor777,
I maybe wrong, but since you mentioned taking the bone stock Wagon R on the raid in 2006; I think I bumped into you at BaskinRobbins sometime ago? I had the Sx4 with all the stickers? Not too sure, but it may just be you!
Old 16th June 2009, 13:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

Any body knows how Bolero's perform in the raid adventure section?
Old 16th June 2009, 14:17   #33
BANNED

I think in 2007 someone from Mysore drove one and was placed second in a Bolero. He was supported by M&M.
Old 16th June 2009, 14:24   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Any body knows how Bolero's perform in the raid adventure section?
A friend of mine who drives a bolero the 2x4 version rode her vehicle some time back on the same track as that of the raid without any issues. Infact some of the service vehicles of the organizing teams consisted of Qualis as ambulance. A bolero won't have any issue what so ever if a Qualis can do the entire event without issues.

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 16th June 2009, 15:10   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadVagabond View Post
A friend of mine who drives a bolero the 2x4 version rode her vehicle some time back on the same track as that of the raid without any issues.
I am sure her name start with an "S". This is a small world indeed.
Old 16th June 2009, 15:17   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I am sure her name start with an "S". This is a small world indeed.
Pronto!! Now kindly tell me your name too haha. Indeed this is a very small world. That friend of mine is my co-driver for desert storm and we're doing the raid together too.

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 16th June 2009, 17:11   #37

@ Vinay & @ Rishi - Good Luck Guys for the Raid. I did the adventure last year in my gypsy and thought I would give you guys a few tips.
1. Ensure all electricals are perfect
2. I think that any car whether an esteem or a palio is perfectly fine and you'll have no problems, There will be hardly 4-5 stages in the entire rally which are somewhat tricky for a car (In view of big rocks etc) but it's better to take it easy in such places rather than break down.
3. Check Brakes and replace pads and Fluid (My brake fluid froze and did not work until it was pumped!! Pretty Scary at that height.
4. Use Threadlock on all bolts and nuts (Things like the suspension bolts/nuts, the Battery Clamp etc.)
5. Replace all Hoses
6. Carry a spare air filter so you can change it after 3 days. You'll be surprised at the amount of dust that some stages have.
7. Get the fuel tank fibre glass coated makes it real strong and avoids puncturing the fuel tank (Because of the Rocks)
8. Use high profile tubeless tyres. Many people wrongly suggest tube type for the raid, from my experience using tubeless, we were one of the very few guys with no punctures during the raid - The first flat was after the finish!

The Himalayan Motosport guys will give you service but those guys are so busy that getting them to fix something is not very easy

Will let you guys know if I remember anything else.

Regards

Shyam
Old 16th June 2009, 21:03   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyammg View Post
@ Vinay & @ Rishi - Good Luck Guys for the Raid. I did the adventure last year in my gypsy and thought I would give you guys a few tips.
2. I think that any car whether an esteem or a palio is perfectly fine and you'll have no problems, There will be hardly 4-5 stages in the entire rally which are somewhat tricky for a car (In view of big rocks etc) but it's better to take it easy in such places rather than break down.
3. Check Brakes and replace pads and Fluid (My brake fluid froze and did not work until it was pumped!! Pretty Scary at that height.
4. Use Threadlock on all bolts and nuts (Things like the suspension bolts/nuts, the Battery Clamp etc.)
5. Replace all Hoses
6. Carry a spare air filter so you can change it after 3 days. You'll be surprised at the amount of dust that some stages have.
7. Get the fuel tank fibre glass coated makes it real strong and avoids puncturing the fuel tank (Because of the Rocks)
8. Use high profile tubeless tyres. Many people wrongly suggest tube type for the raid, from my experience using tubeless, we were one of the very few guys with no punctures during the raid - The first flat was after the finish!

The Himalayan Motosport guys will give you service but those guys are so busy that getting them to fix something is not very easy

Regards

Shyam

Thanks a lot Shyam for your wishes. Pardon my ignorance but could you guide me on "threadlock" and also advice as to how to get fibre glass coating on fuel tank?
Old 17th June 2009, 10:26   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
Thanks a lot Shyam for your wishes. Pardon my ignorance but could you guide me on "threadlock" and also advice as to how to get fibre glass coating on fuel tank?
Usually the fuel tank gets hit by a lot of rocks which are thrown up by the tyres. Sometimes you get a hole. One of the esteems in last years raid actually had such a problem. So the solution is to get a few layers of Fibre Glass applied on the fuel tank. Fibre Glass is very strong and the rocks do not damage the fuel tank. The guys doing repairs on Jeep Hardtops etc. will do this for you if you give them your fuel tank.

Threadlock is a solution that you use while tightening all bolts etc. Link Below
Anabond Limited :: Adhesives and Sealants :: Anaerobic :: Epoxy :: RTV Silicone :: Poly Urethanes :: Rubber Based (Neoprene&Butyl) :: Acrylic :: Solvent Based Adhesive :: Specialty Coatings
Old 21st June 2009, 14:31   #40
BHPian

Sorry guys was a bit busy with work. It seems I missed a lot on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
Hey Sorry I checked this thread after a while. I am participating in Palio GTX, there is absolutely no sponsorship, I am on my own. Paperwork is through. This is my first time. I too have to get underbody and engine bay protection.

I request other senior members to guide where we can get this done.

Vinay, I saw your name in early entrants list, PM me we can prepare together. Thanks.
Hey Rishi!

We surely can prepare together. Will PM you when we plan it. Am a bit occupied for the entire July. Planning to start the work in August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
I can tell you from personal experience that any car can do the Raid (Reliability/Adventure Trial). I took a bone stock WagonR to the raid in 2006 and came back absolutely unscathed. Now I still remember the look on my fellow competitor's faces when they realized my car did not have any underbody protection. I do not recommend the same to anybody though since I realized my folly in doing that.

Yes I did finish last in my category, but the important word here is "FINISH". Less than half the vehicles did that year. My objective was to participate and not to compete knowing the limitations of my vehicle. The only things I had to change were the stock MRF ZVTS tyres which had done 35k anyways till then. Ohh, before I forget, the look on the service advisor's face when he took a peek inside the cabin after I took the car for servicing.
Hey Nkapoor777!

Thanks a lot for the first hand advise! Was'nt underbody protection mandatory in the adventure trial (AT) then? This time its mandatory for all the vehicles. Infact this and the 2 inch spacers on the springs are the only mods allowed in AT.

We are planning to get new tyres before we go. Which ones do you recommend?

Also the fact that Finishing is what matters and not winning makes our resolve much more stronger everytime we think about it!

Quote:
5. Replace all Hoses

Regards

Shyam
Thanks shyammg!! Your detailed tips will definitly help us!

3. Do you recommend any particular brake fluid?
7. Wont the tank protection covered with Under Body protection plates?
8. We too are of the same opinion. Tubeless would be better.

Cheers!
Vinay Rathore
Old 21st June 2009, 20:41   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Usually the fuel tank gets hit by a lot of rocks which are thrown up by the tyres. Sometimes you get a hole. One of the esteems in last years raid actually had such a problem. So the solution is to get a few layers of Fibre Glass applied on the fuel tank. Fibre Glass is very strong and the rocks do not damage the fuel tank. The guys doing repairs on Jeep Hardtops etc. will do this for you if you give them your fuel tank.
I'm buying a brand new Gypsy and getting some modifications for the Raid. Though not taking part as a competitor but as an official with the HM team. What I'm doing is fixing a steel wire mesh with about half an inch space between the fuel tank and the mesh. It'll stop all the stones which might bounce off the tyres or otherwise. The fiberglass coating is a very good suggestion. I'll try putting that too on it.

Have plans to fit an extra fuel tank. Any suggestions?? I don't want to put it on the rear of the vehicle as the regular extra tanks which are used. I want something permanently fixed below the car in between the chassis frames. An additional 30 odd ltrs would be a boon in tough situations. I've had a tough time before during the Desert Storm. But yea that time I was driving an old fuel guzzler 413 carb. The MPFI would give me way better mileage. Any suggestions?

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 21st June 2009, 22:52   #42
Senior - BHPian

Anirban,

I will soon be getting a thick aluminium corrugated sheet as underbody protection for 9-10k. And I am just a regular tourer.

Why would you be settling for a wire mesh? Help me understand - the cost-benefit tradeoff!
Old 22nd June 2009, 01:34   #43
BHPian

Well not sure about the cost benefit tradeoff but well when a wire mesh will do the job for my use why need an entire underbody protection? All I need to do is protect my fuel tanks and the AC condenser which I'm going to have fitted under the chassis. Other than those most of the parts are very robust enough to take bad beating off the road. The only weak points in my view might be the lines of the hydraulics for the brakes. And well those can't be very much protected in anycase.

The mesh would allow air and ventilation to the condensor as well as protect it from stones hitting it as well as the fuel tanks. I had forgotten to mention about the condenser before.

Regards,

Anirban.

Last edited by NomadVagabond : 22nd June 2009 at 01:35. Reason: Grammar.
Old 22nd June 2009, 11:50   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadVagabond View Post
I'm buying a brand new Gypsy and getting some modifications for the Raid. Though not taking part as a competitor but as an official with the HM team. What I'm doing is fixing a steel wire mesh with about half an inch space between the fuel tank and the mesh. It'll stop all the stones which might bounce off the tyres or otherwise. The fiberglass coating is a very good suggestion. I'll try putting that too on it.

Have plans to fit an extra fuel tank. Any suggestions?? I don't want to put it on the rear of the vehicle as the regular extra tanks which are used. I want something permanently fixed below the car in between the chassis frames. An additional 30 odd ltrs would be a boon in tough situations. I've had a tough time before during the Desert Storm. But yea that time I was driving an old fuel guzzler 413 carb. The MPFI would give me way better mileage. Any suggestions?

Regards,

Anirban.
Hi Anirban, Regarding the auxillary tank, I made the terrible mistake of fixing it in the cabin, could not use it at all since it produced a lot of fumes (Although I had vented it to the outside of the vehicle). Actually the roof is the best place, if a hardtop, although it looks kind of funny and is difficult to fill up!! Else get the Rally Half Cabin and its easy to locate the tank in the bed.

Regards

Shyam

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Sorry guys was a bit busy with work. It seems I missed a lot on this thread.

Hey Rishi!

We surely can prepare together. Will PM you when we plan it. Am a bit occupied for the entire July. Planning to start the work in August.

Hey Nkapoor777!

Thanks a lot for the first hand advise! Was'nt underbody protection mandatory in the adventure trial (AT) then? This time its mandatory for all the vehicles. Infact this and the 2 inch spacers on the springs are the only mods allowed in AT.

We are planning to get new tyres before we go. Which ones do you recommend?

Also the fact that Finishing is what matters and not winning makes our resolve much more stronger everytime we think about it!

Thanks shyammg!! Your detailed tips will definitly help us!

3. Do you recommend any particular brake fluid?
7. Wont the tank protection covered with Under Body protection plates?
8. We too are of the same opinion. Tubeless would be better.

Cheers!
Vinay Rathore
Hi Vinay, I used the stock brake fluid - maybe you can do some research on this and see what can be better!
The underbody protection is usually a sump guard, I have not seen any protection for the fuel tank, anyway not 100% sure.

Regards

Shyam
Old 22nd June 2009, 12:48   #45
Senior - BHPian

Anirban,

Can you PM me your number? Wanted to figure somethings out.

With a swift's fuel tank of fiberglass - I have no faith - hence want protection

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks