Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2009, 11:50   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
I'm sorry, but this is not F1. This is rallying. What is the point of confining people to stands?
Rallying yes but, a SSS or a special speed stage which is a 'track event' within a rally. Even on open road stages spectators and bystanders are advised to stay well away from the actual course - preferably at an elevation to the cars.

I have noticed the tendency of spectators and pressmen to get too close to or in the way of oncoming vehicles in drags, OTR events as well as other motorsports too. In one OTR a lensman wanted to get a good shot of a 4X4 coming up an incline and positioned himself directly in the path of the competitor, the driver momentarily hesitated on seeing the man in his path thereby losing momentum which was essential to getting up that incline.

As enthusiasts, we would serve motorsports better by telling all persons (except race officials, marshals etc.) to stay well away from the track/course/path. If spectators and pressmen maintained discipline: the organisers would save pots of money that they spend on barricading, security etc.; the competitors could get on with the game without worrying about running over an over-enthusiastic fan; each person in the gallery / stands / spectator area would get a good view of the action.

Cheers,

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 29th August 2009 at 12:01.
Old 29th August 2009, 12:22   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Rallying yes but, a SSS or a special speed stage which is a 'track event' within a rally. Even on open road stages spectators and bystanders are advised to stay well away from the actual course - preferably at an elevation to the cars.

I have noticed the tendency of spectators and pressmen to get too close to or in the way of oncoming vehicles in drags, OTR events as well as other motorsports too. In one OTR a lensman wanted to get a good shot of a 4X4 coming up an incline and positioned himself directly in the path of the competitor, the driver momentarily hesitated on seeing the man in his path thereby losing momentum which was essential to getting up that incline.

As enthusiasts, we would serve motorsports better by telling all persons (except race officials, marshals etc.) to stay well away from the track/course/path. If spectators and pressmen maintained discipline: the organisers would save pots of money that they spend on barricading, security etc.; the competitors could get on with the game without worrying about running over an over-enthusiastic fan; each person in the gallery / stands / spectator area would get a good view of the action.

Cheers,
Well said. Harm can befall on any kind of motor sport. The spectator should have the common sense on what can go wrong and keep himself safe.

Enthusiasm coupled with foolishness leads to these kind of mishaps.
Old 29th August 2009, 12:25   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
The spectator should have the common sense on what can go wrong and keep himself safe.

Enthusiasm coupled with foolishness leads to these kind of mishaps.
Its next to impossible to educate the already educated.
Old 29th August 2009, 12:37   #49
BHPian

That was close man. BTW good pictures vinayvtec.
Old 1st September 2009, 14:43   #50
Senior - BHPian

Anyways, who is this soul who had sucha close shave ?
Old 2nd September 2009, 19:07   #51
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Anyways, who is this soul who had sucha close shave ?
Lol ! He was trying to get the best photo a man can get and had a close shave !!
Old 2nd September 2009, 19:16   #52
Senior - BHPian

I think this fellow should be hanged, just to teach everyone a lesson. Then I think we will have less unruly spectators.
Old 5th September 2009, 14:10   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
Any body here got the pic of arjun aroor rao.? I remember a guy by that name who was my classmate in school. Just wanted to confirm whether it was him!
Check out 2008040861 | ARJUN RAO AROOR | Driver Profiles | Profiles | Rally India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I have read the thread and one thing no one has mentioned is whether the lensman was allowed to be where he was i.e. whether the spot he chose was an area open to the spectators/public/press. He was too close to the path marker. One cannot call tape strung between two sticks a barricade. This is a common problem at all events, sports, motor sports etc. People ignore the designated areas and barge into areas into which they are not allowed.

Spectators should confine themselves to the stands.

It is not possible to hold all events behind 15' high razor wire fences. Instead of confining themselves to areas earmarked for spectators, a lot of people jump barricades, bamboozle the security staff etc. to get close to the action. There are very good reasons why certain areas are marked as safe for spectators. By moving out of these areas, the spectators put themselves and participants in danger. They also hamper the smooth conduct of events.

Cheers,
To clarify your doubt, the area is not accessible to anyone other than organisers and marshalls. The lensman shouldn't have been there. The others visible in the pics also shouldn't have been there. But the others atleast took care since they were already doing something wrong.

It is totally the lensman's fault and not one bit the driver's. And if anyone says otherwise, they are fools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Lol ! He was trying to get the best photo a man can get and had a close shave !!
That's a good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
From the way things are on in this thread I understand that the camerman might have been a bhpian.
My honest opinion,
it was stupid of him to be so close to the barricade. He should be happy to have escaped a nasty injury. You cannot blame the driver, he did not do it intentionally and was just doing his job.
Well said!

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th September 2009 at 19:41. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks