Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2009, 13:05   #1
BHPian

A lensman lives to tell!!! (crazy K1000 incident)

i shot this video yesterday (23-08-2009) at the K1000 special stage car rally held at the Manyata Tech Park, Bangalore.

A media Lensman was trying to capture one of the fastest cars make a drift. The car oversteered and came straight for the guy and his camera! He actually flung himself and rolled over before he stood up all 'shaken and stirred'

I had to find the guy and bluetooth the video to him. He needed to see himself and thank his lucky stars!!

Sorry for the poor video quality: courtesy Nokia 6681!!! Watch it a few times over to get a hang of it.

Old 24th August 2009, 13:18   #2
BHPian

Close shave! What was the chap thinking? Theres something about rallies that makes photographers suicidal.
Old 24th August 2009, 13:23   #3
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Woah! A very close shave indeed. Looks like something similar to what I once saw on Ripley's on TV. Oh boy! This guy was lucky.
Old 24th August 2009, 13:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would say a combination of good reflexes and luck saved this guy. Good one Stevie.
Old 24th August 2009, 13:28   #5
BHPian

Would you guys like to know who this media lensman was?? The vibrations of the impact of the lensman landing onto the ground were felt near the stands too
Old 24th August 2009, 14:15   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Would you guys like to know who this media lensman was?? The vibrations of the impact of the lensman landing onto the ground were felt near the stands too
Why not!!! He must have cost the driver a few seconds!
Old 24th August 2009, 14:59   #7
BHPian

Yes it did cost the driver a few seconds and still made 2:10sec!!
I knew that had to be precise timing with all the new gadgets to keep time and position!
Old 24th August 2009, 16:29   #8
BHPian

Ha the crazy lensman is non other than a frequent Tbhpian, we all know who he is and i sure don't want to take his name, but he was not crazy he was well with in the perimeter of the circuit it was the car and driver who shot in to the perimeter by enter the corner sideways to fast and early after the jump.
I kindly ask you to refrain from making such statements about people when you don't know the whole story and I was very much there in close proximity to him when he had to throw himself from harms way, as the car entered the corner too sideways to the driver's liking the he lost timing when he hit the bump on the follow through to the exit of the corner.
I don't intend to hurt or pick on anyone here by making the above statement, but I am just giving the clear picture as to what happened in the incident.

Last edited by memo45_m : 24th August 2009 at 16:37.
Old 24th August 2009, 16:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

one lucky chap he sure is then !
Old 24th August 2009, 17:29   #10
Team-BHP Support

WOW.

The first few frames of that video are pretty epic! He must be thanking his lucky stars... and probably cursing the driver a bit too!

cya
R
Old 24th August 2009, 17:35   #11
BHPian

I believe this kind of situation is very common in the car rally. In INRC Coimbatore I just missed a snap when it over turned while taking turn. Even I shoot the previous car.
Standing in outer side of a corner in a rally is very dangerous.
Old 24th August 2009, 18:26   #12
BHPian

No one is actually offending anyone else here....or so I'm thinking. This is a great open forum to share such experiences and look at it as they are. Anyway I mean no offence to anyone just in case anyone was actually offended
Cummon guys we're all TBHPians after all
Old 24th August 2009, 20:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by memo45_m View Post
Ha the crazy lensman is non other than a frequent Tbhpian, we all know who he is and i sure don't want to take his name, but he was not crazy he was well with in the perimeter of the circuit it was the car and driver who shot in to the perimeter by enter the corner sideways to fast and early after the jump.
I kindly ask you to refrain from making such statements about people when you don't know the whole story and I was very much there in close proximity to him when he had to throw himself from harms way, as the car entered the corner too sideways to the driver's liking the he lost timing when he hit the bump on the follow through to the exit of the corner.
I don't intend to hurt or pick on anyone here by making the above statement, but I am just giving the clear picture as to what happened in the incident.
I saw the whole incident. this fellow bhpian was with us all the while but went ahead to take pix of the MRF cars in close up. it was unfortunate timing that the car oversteered at that spot. nobody else had oversteered that much. We saw it all happen.So I'm with him. The car overshot way too much into the perimeter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
WOW.

The first few frames of that video are pretty epic! He must be thanking his lucky stars... and probably cursing the driver a bit too!

cya
R
nobody cursed nobody. it was just an unfortunate race incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
I guess we'll let him reveal himself.
Old 25th August 2009, 00:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

Forget the lensman, I'm just happy the camera is safe!
Old 25th August 2009, 00:50   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Forget the lensman, I'm just happy the camera is safe!
Haha! I can imagine you running after his life, if something had happened to your camera .

Most Viewed