Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2009, 23:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009

This is perhaps the first time INRC is being organized in Eastern India.

Date: 18th-20th September 2009
Venue: Durgapur / Kolkata, West Bengal
Flag-off: The Ginger Hotel, Durgapur (186kms from Kolkata)

For further details please click: Rally De Kolkata

As of now, I will be going to Durgapur to see the Flag-off on 18th September. No idea where i will put up - but if everything goes well - i will be there.

Will keep the thread updated as and when i get further details.
Old 29th August 2009, 00:18   #2
Team-BHP Support

Great news. Hope that it becomes a regular affair in this part of the country. Wish I could be there to see the rally :-(
Old 29th August 2009, 00:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

yes i also think it will be a good idea. but logistical problems will be more IMO.

Who all from team BHP are going / participating?
Old 29th August 2009, 00:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

WOW!!! that's great. one day, one day...
Old 29th August 2009, 01:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
As of now, I will be going to Durgapur to see the Flag-off on 18th September. No idea where i will put up - but if everything goes well - i will be there.
Wow! This is going to be good.
You can put up at my place if i go there.
Old 21st September 2009, 01:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

INRC SSS, Kolkata, 20th September 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
This is perhaps the first time INRC is being organized in Eastern India.

Date: 18th-20th September 2009
Venue: Durgapur / Kolkata, West Bengal
Well, actually this is the first time in 4 years that INRC was being organized in Eastern India. I missed the first 2 days of the rally, as they were in Durgapur, and I was logistically challenged to travel. The last day, however, was a Spectator Special Stage being held right in Kolkata. So expectation levels were sky high. Didn't want to miss this one at any cost.

Bhpian NOS Power arranged the passes, and off went I (actually, a small team of Kolkata bhpians) to witness the event.

Details of the Event

I shall spare you the details of every team and car, which anyway can be found here: Rally De Kolkata. Suffice to say, by the time the event came around to Kolkata, many of the entrants had been eliminated. Leading the event was star APRC rallyist Gaurav Gill, and trailing him was Kolkata's Amittrajit Ghosh, both in Cedias (2000cc+ class). Incidentally, their 2 cars were also the sole surviving Cedias in the class which originally comprised 6.

INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02884.jpg

INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02882.jpg

There were 36 more cars, with 4-5 Balenos competing in the 1600cc plus category, 3 Gypsys filling out the Gypsy class, and the remaining being Esteems competing in the 1400cc+ and Rally Star Cup categories.

The SSS was being held in the Jadavpur stadium. A track had been set up there, with thick grass and a lot of muddy patches.

INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02893.jpg

Thanks (err, no thanks?) to NOS power, we ended up in the stadium at the very start of the event, at 11.30 AM. No one told him that this was the time when the cars were merely getting together for a photo shoot. They would subsequently leave the stadium for a parade around the city, only to come back at 2 PM. The actual SSS wouldn't start till about 3!

Anyway, so what had to happen happened. Very soon we (and a group of similarly foxed spectators) were sitting inside an empty stadium, the harsh mid day sun bearing upon us, staring at nothing more than an empty grass track. If NOS was spared a beating, it was only thanks to the humor and camaraderie inside our small group which kept us going for those 4 hours.

L to R in the first pic - Mr and Mrs Predatorwheelz, a very sheepish NOS Power and 1100D.

INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02886.jpg

The guy in the extreme left (pic below) is Planet_Rocker.

INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02885.jpg

Also present (but not pictured) were Bhpians Vrooom and Rajarshi.

Coming back to the event, we just sat around and blabbered for some time until a surprising sight shook us awake. The rally cars were not back on the track as yet. But there was this black Nissan X-trail (with "official" stickers) being driven around the track in anger.

And its not funny. The car was a stock X-Trail. There were 3-4 people sitting inside, and it looked to be driven by some experienced rallyist. The car was doing some Serious speed around the track! A 4 wheel drive, diesel SUV taking the track apart! We marvelled at how well the car took the driving in its stride, roaring down the straights, then power sliding around the corners. Of course, the engine note couldn't match up to the scream of a rally free flow, but that sort of increased my respect for the X-trail. Understated, go without the show.

Why was it there? Maybe it was giving people who mattered a taste of the track? Maybe it was roughing up the track so the competitors would find more grip later on? Who cares? It put up a hell of a performance.

I apologize for not having clicked better pictures. Was probably too busy staring open mouthed.

INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02887.jpg

INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02888.jpg

So the day dragged on. Finally the competitors came back and parked one by one by the side of the track. There was a freak incident here. Championship leader Gaurav Gill tried a crowdpleaser by doing a huge powerslide into his parking slot beside the fence. Unfortunately the area had a large patch of sticky mud. His front wheel got stuck, and all the wheelspin only ended in his grounding the car even more.

Gaurav and his navigator tried their best to extricate the car, but in vain. We were all watching helplessly, knowing we couldn't help, as anyone (other than driver and navigator) touching a rally car is prone to get it disqualified. Was this stupid oversight going to ruin Gaurav's chances at the title?

INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02894.jpg

Thankfully better sense prevailed. The steward did not take time in deciding that it was a freak incident, and allowed the crew to lift off the car. Gaurav was back in running.

We could see he was not happy. Some idiots in the crowd had been laughing at his misery when the car was stuck. It was obvious he wanted to prove a point.

The walking recce over, the zero car went off for a run of the track.
INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02889.jpg
INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02891.jpg
INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02892.jpg

So finally, the SSS kicked off.
Old 21st September 2009, 03:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

continued....

The format was that each car would have to complete 2 laps of the course. The combined time of both laps would be considered.

First up on the track was a local contestant, Mr. Saurav Hazra. A well known name in the Kolkata Rally circuit and a personal friend. Halfway through his first lap, he cooked up. Notice the car's tail starting to swing out in the first pic. Also the photographer with the hat.

INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02895.jpg

What follows thereafter is the car's tail clips out a portion of the tape barricade. Notice the second pic where the car has exited the corner, the photographer is running for life, scared that the tail almost got him.

INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02899.jpg

Saurav recovered thereafter, but still had a patchy run through the rest of the laps.

Name:  DSC02896.JPG
Views: 2029
Size:  57.7 KB
INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02897.jpg
INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02898.jpg

(I don't have pics of all the participants after this, only the ones I felt were worth mention)

Prashant Paul's RSC Esteem. The car was carrying damage from the previous day.

INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02902.jpg
INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02903.jpg
INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02904.jpg

The Gypsys generally did very well. Leading overall in the Gypsy category was this car from DDL Sports, a South-based racing outfit. The driver, Bobby Jose C, was impressive from the word go.

INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02905.jpg
INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02906.jpg
INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02907.jpg
INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02908.jpg
INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02909.jpg

Another Gypsy, driven by Anil Wadia of Team Thunderbolt. The car put on some spectacular drifts to entertain the audience.

INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02910.jpg
INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02911.jpg
INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02912.jpg

The Kari Sports Baleno, driven by young wonder Sujay Naidu. Couldn't make much of a mark, though reportedly the car was running with a damaged transmission from the previous day.

INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02922.jpg
INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02923.jpg
INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02924.jpg
Old 21st September 2009, 05:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hey that wonderful . I am seeing such pics for the first time planet.
Nice to see it happening to kolkata.

Abhi
Old 21st September 2009, 05:46   #9
Team-BHP Support

My very close friend Sanjay Agarwal and Sanket Shanbag with Gypsy. Any news about them?
Their Gypsy engine was rebuilt and they were doing engine running in from Bangalore to Kolkata. I don't see any report here. Unless their car got into some trouble otherwise.
Old 21st September 2009, 12:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Hey that wonderful . I am seeing such pics for the first time planet.
Nice to see it happening to kolkata.

Abhi
Heyy! After taking so much pain to put up the pics myself, you go ahead and regard planet on this! Hehe, just kidding buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
My very close friend Sanjay Agarwal and Sanket Shanbag with Gypsy. Any news about them?
Rudra Da, yesterday only 3 Gypsys took part. The DDL Sports car, the Team Thunderbird car, and a privateer Vijay Jose who put up a superb performance. Though Sanket Shanbag's name does appear in the original list, I'm pretty sure I didn't see them competing. Maybe a retirement?

Secondly, in any case I've not posted pics of each of the 38 participants, only those I thought were worth mention.

Report Continued

The 2 other Kari Sports cars put up decent, clean performances. Much has been heard of young talent Sourabh Choudhury, though on this day he could only register an average time.

INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02917.jpg

And Balram CG, who was competing in the RSC category.

INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02914.jpg

The Stars of the Day

And now for my top 3 stars of the day. In reverse order:

3. Amittrajit Ghosh - The local lad received much support. His car was way, way more powerful than everyone else (except Gaurav Gill) and he put it to good use in setting the 2nd fastest time of the day - 1 min 27 secs. I am putting up a video of his first lap, as well as a few pics.

INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02926.jpg
INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02927.jpg

2. Vijay Jose - I never heard of this man till yesterday. He's apparently a privateer in his first season of INRC. But on Sunday, Vijay set a spectacular time of 1 min 27 secs, matching that of Amittrajit's Cedia, in a far less powerful Gypsy.

Another impressive aspect was the lines he took. Not much show for the crowd, good clean lapping. I'll put up a video of his 2 laps as soon as I finish uploading it on youtube.

3. Gaurav Gill - Sorry to sound strongly opinionated, but to me Gaurav stood head and shoulders above the rest. The arrogance of a seasoned rally pro and an APRC contender was there for all to see. He came into Sunday already leading by a massive margin.

I've already mentioned some idiots in the crowd jeering at him when he had beached his car while parking. Later, when he was walking back to his car to start the SSS, some of these idiots again passed a comment. Gaurav did this

INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02921.jpg

Immediately followed it up with a comment at the crowd, that made his intentions loud and clear - "If any of you are laughing at me, I suggest you take a ride with me. Will clear the problem once and for all". The cocky Bong crowd was silent at the sudden show of attitude .

And then Gaurav walked the talk. Unbelievable 2 laps of the track, powersliding the car, catching the nose at the apex, then pirouetting out of the corner. Fairytale stuff. Clocked a time of 1 min 25 secs, fastest of the day.

Here's a video of his first lap

Wrap up

Overall, a good and well organized event. Kolkata needs many more such events to boost the level of interest in youngsters for Motorsport.

My only grudge was that I wanted to see Gaurav's performance in a longer format.

Some other pics. Mr Ravi Kumar (Red T shirt), Chairman of Calcutta Motor Sports Club

Name:  DSC02920.JPG
Views: 1886
Size:  144.1 KB

One car we saw in the parking. Did not take part in the competition though. Maybe an earlier retirement.

INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02879.jpg

And how can any tbhp report be complete without showing off our own cars? Presenting 1100D's Ford Ikon

INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02880.jpg

And of course, my own Predator. Not a rally car, but a star in its own right!

INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-dsc02878.jpg
Old 21st September 2009, 12:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-picture8.jpg

INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-picture10.jpg

INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-picture12.jpg

INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-picture15.jpg

INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-picture21.jpg

INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-picture24.jpg

Whose Gypsy was this?
INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-picture25.jpg

INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-picture27.jpg

Note the front of the car, its crisp and in-focus, the rear isn't, indicating that the car is still drifting, good drive, but the Gypsy was equally quick on account of its 4wd
INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-picture29.jpg

Gaurav Gill on his fantastic run
INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-picture30.jpg

The one that I liked most
INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-picture23.jpg

If only we could see this do the dance
INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-picture6.jpg

This more than made up for it.
INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-picture7.jpg

The fan following was amazing
INRC - Rally de Kolkata @ Durgapur - 18th-20th September 2009-picture2.jpg

Two video's from my end of both the Cedia's final lap

Amitrajit Ghosh's run

Gaurav Gills fabulous smooth run

Last edited by 1100D : 21st September 2009 at 12:36.
Old 21st September 2009, 12:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Here's Vijay Jose's superb 2 laps. Dont miss this one.

Old 21st September 2009, 13:01   #13
BHPian

Good report and pics. Do you have a video of the X-trail doing the laps. Would love to see it.
Old 23rd September 2009, 13:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

the first two stages were held at Durgapur. Members vrooooooom (Pushpak) and incognito (Tamaghna) were there to cover it on the second day.

Quote:
Hi,
I have attached the link to my Picasa album for all to view the pics from Durgapur. I am sure all of you who love motor sports are feeling bad to miss it. The stage in Durgapur was much more interesting than SSS in Kolkata. The SSS was just like a small acrobatic feat using cars for regular crowd. I can only say if you were in Durgapur to see the stages, you would have never been disappointed to spend time and money to travel 200 kms to see this National Event.

But there is always a next chance. Kolkata has won the contract to stage the INRC for 3 years in a row. So as we say every time "Asche Bochor abar hobe". (Next year we will do it again). Hope to have a Team Bhp meet next time during INRC.

I will soon upload some videos in Youtube. Till then just enjoy the still pics.

Pushpak
Link to Pics:

http://picasaweb.google.co.in/pushpak.vicky/INRCRallyDurgapur2009?authkey=Gv1sRgCOL_6-_preLciQE&feat=directlink

Last edited by planet_rocker : 23rd September 2009 at 13:15.
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:01   #15
BHPian

Thanks Rocker for posting the pics on my behalf.

I am really happy to make it to the super stages in Durgapur on Day II. If I didn't I would have missed the wonderful feeling that every motor sports lover desires. Day III (Spectator Stage) was nothing compared to the real show.Spectator Stage was more like a feat with cars. Time was not a very important factor for most as the positions were mostly decided the day before. It was to get some visibility for the sponsors and to promote motor sports in Eastern India.

In the real stage we saw how each of the participants fought to grab a podium finish. Many could not make it till the end. Saw some cars landing on fields or crashing on trees. Some got off the road. I could witness most of it because of the wonderful spectator spots assigned by the organisers.

The sweet note of the exhaust (specially from the Cedia and Baleno) was music for the ears. Sometimes it felt that I was standing in front of a LMG (specially when I was standing next to the Baleno at the starting point preparing for a perfect launch). I will upload the videos in youtube and share.

I could witness how suspension, smashed doors and even damaged gear box was replaced in 20 mins. These things takes more than a day for me to replace at a workshop.

Overall experience was simply awesome. Kudos to Ramakrishna Race Performance Management Pvt. Ltd. or in short 'RPM' , under the leadership of Arindam Ghosh and Sk. Sazid Ali (Suman Da). They did a superb job. Perfect example of team leadership in action and successful event management.

What made me sad was the poor crowd turn out. It was really poor. Most of them were officials or friends of the participants or people from the rally circuit. It was such a big event in Eastern India, but still there was practically no one who had come to see the event like we do in Cricket and all. We have so many Team Bhpians in Kolkata who claim to love motor sports and quite passionate about it. But still didn't see a single face from that group. I understand some people may have personal commitments made before hand. But still the turn out was very poor for such a big event. It was just 2.5 hrs drive from Kolkata.

We need to support the organisers and cheer the participants (even if we or our near ones are not participating). If we don't do that how will motor sports flourish in this country. If we don't then soon this sports will be in the pages of Indian History.

Luckily Kolkata (thanks to RPM) has managed to get a contract of organising INRC in Kolkata for 3 years in a row. So if you have missed it this year, please please make it to the next year. Mark my words. You won't be disappointed. Watching it in a closed stadium may be fun and convenient, but you would never get the full picture and enjoy the full essence.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks