Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2009, 11:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Race Track around Delhi

Hello people. I am sure I won't be one of the first to wonder or ask the question, as to why don't we have a race track in or around Delhi? Chennai has a very good track , but not all of us can often go there for our speed thrills. I heard a rumor a couple of years ago about a race track being opened up by VM near Delhi, but I believe nothing became of that.

I want to hear from fellow enthusiasts , their opinions on the success of such a track, if one existed in / around Delhi. My father and I are thinking on this and believe that a track can be made on the same blue-print as the Tsukuba in Japan(as it is a very challenging and space efficient track) in Noida/NCR area. I wish to know if fellow enthusiasts from Delhi/Maharashtra and people from around the Northern region would be interested in such a project being undertaken for everyone's benefit. I believe that North India should have its own dedicated track with professional training facilities and track days as often as the sun rises from the east.

What say?
Old 2nd November 2009, 11:59   #2
BHPian

Isnt the F1 track already in progress near Delhi, with land earmarked for this project and all?

@EKS: If you do manage to build a track, nothing like it. We need many more them in our country.
Old 2nd November 2009, 12:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Trooper, I heard that there was a project underway but I can't find details on it and I am not sure if it will be open to the public. The track that we have in mind will be ready in 6 months or so once we clear it up. I wanna know how many people would be interested in such a thing as we do not have a track in the Northern part of India.
Old 2nd November 2009, 12:23   #4
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Killer idea ECKS, The only hope right now is the F1 track in G.noida. Enthusiasts in north are deprived of any official racing on the track. I'm sure if you are going to work on this , you will not be short of support from every enthusiast in the north.

cheers and all the best.
Old 2nd November 2009, 12:45   #5
BHPian

A track in North India- especially in Delhi/NCR region?

Nobody has to even blink an eyelid to say YES to that.

If a track is built, for different purposes (track days, drags, etc) there will be many enthusiasts willing to show up at the track gates more often than not. There are bikers, rallyists, racers and many other enthusiasts who will be itching to test their machines once we have a race track up and running.

So yes, if you can do something like that, don't even think twice about doing it.

Cheers.
Old 2nd November 2009, 13:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Alright! Just the kind of support I needed. The track will be built on the blue print of Tsukuba track of Japan and I will ensure that we have additional space for drags and other forms of racing. I will keep you guys posted as this project goes ahead.
Old 2nd November 2009, 14:01   #7
BHPian

I am sure ecks this'll be the best thing to happen to the nascent indian motoring. Something like a Tsukuba equivalent would be really great as it has awesome straights and hairpins. what would be the format here? Something like Nurburgring (bring your machine, pay the money and drive) or Thruxton (have the machines ready, book 'em in advance and drive).
Old 2nd November 2009, 14:16   #8
BHPian

Brilliant idea. I wish i lived in north part of India. Because i'd love to enjoy a weekend on a racetrack when i get a leave from my office.

And about the race track project in delhi with the idea of Mr. vijay mallaya is a fromula 1 track, so don't expect it to be open for general public.

The investment would not go in loss, people would bring their sports cars from very corner of the country to enjoy the track, as it is we have such good roads in India.
Sports car owners can't even enjoy 40% of cars potential. They would love a track!

So track is a nice idea.
Old 2nd November 2009, 23:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

@eck: This would be a great idea. But i just want to know how profitable such a venture could be?
Old 2nd November 2009, 23:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Well the financial aspect is yet to be evaluated. Since the track won't be very big and relatively easy to maintain , so upkeep won't be an issue. I am trying to get a feeler if such a project would be successful and that depends on how many of bhp-ians race there.
Old 3rd November 2009, 01:09   #11
BHPian

Are you gona keep this track for personal use, or you are planning to use it for professional racing etc.?

Because professional usage might have alot of string attached to it.
Old 3rd November 2009, 01:28   #12
Team-BHP Support

Heres a link to a related thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-included.html

cya
R
Old 3rd November 2009, 02:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Rehaan. That thread proves the sad situation of racing tracks in India.
@Noidaboy - We shall look into the legal aspect of that later. The purpose of the track would be to be a public venue for racing and we shall welcome race events organized by other institutions.
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:59   #14
BHPian

hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksreturns View Post
Thanks Rehaan. That thread proves the sad situation of racing tracks in India.
@Noidaboy - We shall look into the legal aspect of that later. The purpose of the track would be to be a public venue for racing and we shall welcome race events organized by other institutes.
HI ecks. I really appreciate your task of creating a track, but trust me even the ones we race in i.e., coimbatore and chennai tracks were really bad until a few months back the track was redone with a new tarmac for the FIM asian championship and moreover when we make a track like this and until you want to make it commercial you have to make the blue print of the track and get an agency who is certified to design a track and all of the details has to be submitted to the FMSCI who in turn will put the matter to FIM or FIA. This is because if you have even a small event, only if you have FIM or FIA approval you can get hell lot of sponsors else it will be a private event and no sponsors will turn up. As in case of the chennai track its not owned by the government its a leased land and TVS and JK TYRE AND MRF are taking care of the track so its better you pull in some big heads on your own land or your leased land so that things can happen more smoothly. Lets bring out the racing scene in INDIA its high time we start fellow bhpians. Cheers!
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huwaeiguy View Post
HI ecks. I really appreciate your task of creating a track, but trust me even the ones we race in i.e., coimbatore and chennai tracks were really bad until a few months back the track was redone with a new tarmac for the FIM asian championship and moreover when we make a track like this and until you want to make it commercial you have to make the blue print of the track and get an agency who is certified to design a track and all of the details has to be submitted to the FMSCI who in turn will put the matter to FIM or FIA. This is because if you have even a small event, only if you have FIM or FIA approval you can get hell lot of sponsors else it will be a private event and no sponsors will turn up. As in case of the chennai track its not owned by the government its a leased land and TVS and JK TYRE AND MRF are taking care of the track so its better you pull in some big heads on your own land or your leased land so that things can happen more smoothly. Lets bring out the racing scene in INDIA its high time we start fellow bhpians. Cheers!
To my knowledge, the MMSC Track and adjacent land (approx.300 acres)is owned by the MMSC Trust and you're right that corporate sponsorship to a large extent pays for maintenance.But, no one can discount the Govt.'s role worldwide in infrastructure of all kinds and despite some initial lethargy the same applies to the MMSC too. It's not easy to just go out there and purchase 300 acres for a non-essential enterprise.The late actor turned TN CM MGR was a regular visitor at the Sholavaram T-Track and his influence in the development of the current track has been acknowledged. Govt. influence prevailed upon international experts from Jackie Stewart , architects and others to assist the local developers in the initial stages. Unless the local Govt. is involved directly or indirectly there is no way one can set up a professional race track especially where land is a premium, nowadays. Good luck with the efforts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks