Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2005, 15:52   #61
BANNED

Badcheetah, I guess u referring to the incident u mentioned earluer about u and some rally !! Well I think its time for u to state which event and when u suffered and maybe people can get facts verified to see if ur claims r true or else I feel that this topic aint headed anywhere ...

So either state or lets join hands in cheering for Team India and who so ever is driving which I'm pretty sure is KC !!!

cheers
Old 24th September 2005, 15:56   #62
BHPian

Well to cut the long story short my friend, if you remember there was a camp organized by MRF in association with HIPER-PERFORMANCE MOTORSPORT in Noida where rally legend Juha Kankkunen was invited to give tips on Driving and a broad view of the world rally scene. I along with some other drivers had applied and for attending the same and had sent all the necessary emails and the stuff .Since Maruti was also a part of the event we also approached Mr.Shashi Kapoor to help us get in the program . After all was settled we were politely told that we could not be a part of the program and no reason was given. Then after repeated phone calls and emails we were told off the record that since we guys drive under the JK banner we would not be allowed to attend the school .

Also to put the facts clear since we are talking about it, when I say I am driving under JK banner, I ONLY GET 4 TYRES for an event. Do u think that qualifies me as being JK Sponsored??? Even MRF gives tires to those people who pt their stickers right or wrong?

The event or should I say school was being run on a property owned by an uncle of mine and all I needed to do was to make a phone call to him and call the event off . But being a sportsman I did not do it. There were other who said that they will gate crash and if some one stopped them they will settle some old scores there and them, I also kept them away.
This was one thing.

Then there was the Delhi round where team mrf was coming, and we were asked by Maruti to email MRF for tires (4- mrf dirt’s) and the same would have to be returned after the rally. I missed out on the rally as surprisingly they forgot to issue me a letter or give the tires. oh and by the way JK had stopped making rally tires by then , so we ha no choice to go to them or risk running on some imported ones only to be excluded from the rally by some protest of the other . Even this is very common. I am sure my friends who rally would agree with me.

So now please tell me does this not tell that both JK & MRF are bias and only look for personal glory and kill the sport??

I await your comments my friend.
Old 24th September 2005, 16:11   #63
BANNED

hey, I do remember that event organised by Hyper performance racing .. but what I remember correctly it was only by special invites as thats what Nivit mentioned to me as I too was interested in attending that . Also I'm sure that you must have driven under the JK banner years ago and am sure that cudnt have been an issue but it probably was due to the reason that MRF wanted very select ppl there and they didnt think u fitted in the top 10-15 drivers list ( dont take this personally , just a thought ).

Rtech, Waiting for ur opinion on this !! Ill just have to ask around to get a clearer picture before I make any statements , and yes there was a time 1993-94 when I too got JK to give us tyres as well as back up in the rallies so I guess I'm on the black list for MRF .. heheh !!

cheers
Old 24th September 2005, 16:20   #64
BHPian

Na my Friend ,
Trust me , have been in this circus for a very long time . I know why i was not invited .

Rtech ..awaiting your reply..

Hey Khaadu , baught 8 MRF dirts , still have 4 new ones , any time u wanna borrow ..... lol
Old 24th September 2005, 16:24   #65
BANNED

dude, Thanx for the offer ..will remember and borrow when required .. ?? What size .. details pls !!

cheers
Old 24th September 2005, 16:32   #66
BHPian

Well normally people refer to them as MRF DIRTS RALLY TYRE , but the specs are "MRF Zigma-GM , RADIAL , STEEL BELTED-10 , and the size is 175/70/R13.
Rallying a baleno now and have 14 "rims, so these tyres are no good to me except if i put them in my esteem , but then the GF says the car sounds like a train when u drive with them , so for the sake of my love life , am on good old good year tyres .

I might have a few friends who if they are doing the delhi round , might take them , but if not you are most welcome to .
Old 26th September 2005, 10:54   #67
Team-BHP Support

Hey Cheetah, I can understand your frustration, but don't let that give you the wrong idea about things.

As Khaadu said, the School was by invitation only. Basically MRF organised it more for people who were either already rallying in the INRC or had concrete plans to enter that year. Preference was also given to people who had rally prepared vehicles. There were a lot of JK supported drivers there for the school. Infact I believe Sandeep Sharma, a relative of Sanjay Sharma (Boss of JK Tyre marketing) also took part in the school and continues to rally in the INRC - on MRF tyres i think.

There were also gypsy's there with JK stickers plastered all over that were allowed to take part. Considering that MRF had footed the bill for everything, I would say that was nice of them not to make a fuss and tell them to get rid of the stickers etc. Which, as the sole sponsor, they had every right to do.

The fact is that there were a fixed number of seats and they had to make a call on who was serious and were surely going to enter most rounds of the INRC. As I said, don't let your dissapointment cloud the facts. And it was nice of you not to cause any trouble, as that doesn't help anyone.

regarding the Delhi rally, I don't know the details - what class were you planning to enter? - but MRF supplies as many drivers as possible. The only condition they have is that the tyres are returned after the event. however, many drivers take advantage of their generosity and keep the tyres, and some even sell them! I see in your last post that you too have the MRF rally tyres. Well, maybe that had something to do with MRF not providing you with another set?!? Like I said, I don't know those details.
Old 26th September 2005, 13:12   #68
BHPian

My Dear Friend,

Firstly I would like to tell every one that Sandeep Sharma is not a relative of Sanjay Sharma, the only similarity they have is the surname. Sandeep or sandee he is known as has been a MRF driver before and continues to shifts camps as and when it suits him.

Secondly when it was advertised, it did say limited seats, I agree, but mine was the second or third reply to the advert. At that time I had a rally prepared esteem, which was totally suped up, and thus qualified from that angle.
I have been active in motor sports from the last 8 yrs, and yes I do agree I had not done a single INRC round, as the logistics involved were a lot and financially it was not with in my pocket to go all over the country. But at the same time having taken part in the all the rallies in the north did qualify me a serious contender and a serious student.

Regarding MRF footing the bill, if I do remember it was a paid seat and I had the draft ready and the number being given to the organizers. So that’s clarified. As to cars being on JK stickers, since MRF did not have too many people driving under their banner in north, this was justified and known to them that there will be cars with JK stickers. It was nice on their part to allow them to be there.

Regarding me buying the MRF tires, U would be surprised I bought them from a MRF official only, and that to during Rally desert storm and not during the Delhi round. So I don’t know who should be penalized "me” or the official who sold them to me. I totally know that MRF takes back the rubber, and if they had given me a set, I would have promptly sent the same back after the rally.

I await your comments on this.

I would also like to point out to all fellow members of the community that the way this post is going it looks like the cheetah is advocating for FMSCI or JK. And some other members are doing so for the other active Tyre manufacturer and MAI.
That’s not the case.
Old 26th September 2005, 18:25   #69
Team-BHP Support

Ok, without getting into an arguement, let me just say that you seem to be a bit disgruntled more than anything else. Fair enough, but don't mix up politics and make general statements about Indian motorpsort because of your own personal issues.

Quote:
Secondly when it was advertised, it did say limited seats, I agree, but mine was the second or third reply to the advert.
I don't think it was a first come, first serve event.

Quote:
I have been active in motor sports from the last 8 yrs,
I checked with my friends at MAI, they don't seem to have any record of you except an incomplete licence application form from afew years ago.

Quote:
and yes I do agree I had not done a single INRC round, as the logistics involved were a lot and financially it was not with in my pocket to go all over the country.
That may have been why you were not selected.

Quote:
But at the same time having taken part in the all the rallies in the north did qualify me a serious contender and a serious student.
No doubt you are serious, but I think they were looking for people who were making commitments.

Quote:
Regarding MRF footing the bill, if I do remember it was a paid seat and I had the draft ready and the number being given to the organizers. So that’s clarified
How much did they take? I'm sure it wasn't much as I remember that for the Simo Lampinen school, they charged only Rs.5,000/- which included the car. Can you get it cheaper anywhere else in the world? If it was kept totally free, can you imagine the number of people who would say - "arrey free main hai, challo"!!

Quote:
Regarding me buying the MRF tires, U would be surprised I bought them from a MRF official only, and that to during Rally desert storm and not during the Delhi round. So I don’t know who should be penalized "me” or the official who sold them to me. I totally know that MRF takes back the rubber, and if they had given me a set, I would have promptly sent the same back after the rally.
Dude, I just said what I know. From what I heard, MRF doesn't sell their rally tyres. if you did buy them, great. Not sure what comments I am supposed to make??

To conclude, and at the risk of sounding repatitive, don't generalise Indian Motorsport based on a few personal issues.

Rtech out!

Most Viewed