Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2010, 15:31   #121
BHPian

May I suggest that someone post the rules of the track day now itself instead of only discussing it on the 7th?
  1. There are bound to be a few late arrivals who would otherwise miss it.
  2. It gives newbies time to let the concepts sink in instead of it going in through one ear and out the other when they are all hopped up on adrenaline right before their first track meet.
  3. It gives a chance for there to be a sane discussion on the forum instead of at the track when everyone just wants to strap in.
Old 21st February 2010, 17:50   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post
May I suggest that someone post the rules of the track day now itself instead of only discussing it on the 7th?
  1. There are bound to be a few late arrivals who would otherwise miss it.
  2. It gives newbies time to let the concepts sink in instead of it going in through one ear and out the other when they are all hopped up on adrenaline right before their first track meet.
  3. It gives a chance for there to be a sane discussion on the forum instead of at the track when everyone just wants to strap in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
For all the First timers - Please ensure you take one of the guys who've been around the track to understand your lines on the track!

Is that Clear - Or do you want me to be more explicit??
Old 21st February 2010, 19:22   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_head View Post
Where is our designated cameraman? Neo - Got a deputy? since you are gonna be on track?
I'll be taking my cam with me.
I'm not volunteering nor I should be considered the designated camera man's replacement.

I'll try to capture whatever shot I can. It purely depends on how my car feels on the track .

I have another suggestion, last time every one came - got in - drove off.
This time can we try to get a shot of all the guys with their rides and maybe even get to know the unknown faces and the new faces before we gun the engine ?

Should't take more than 10 mins after we are ready to go "on track".
Old 21st February 2010, 20:10   #124
BHPian

Riju. We will have a proper introduction before kicking off and you can be the designated photographer for that session..

Everyone is expected to be at the track by 12 so that we can have a proper briefing and introduction session.

Turning up and hitting the track immediately for first timers is not advised. As Vikram said kindly run a few laps with those who know the track before driving out by yourself.

Understand and respect the fact that every car is different and that they behave differently. Hence please acclimatize first and then push if you end up driving different cars.

Most importantly... please deposit your egos in the pit. You can collect it on the way out.

Last edited by petrol_head : 21st February 2010 at 20:15.
Old 21st February 2010, 20:57   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Riju. We will have a proper introduction before kicking off and you can be the designated photographer for that session..

Everyone is expected to be at the track by 12 so that we can have a proper briefing and introduction session.

Most importantly... please deposit your egos in the pit. You can collect it on the way out.
I was afraid you were gonna say that Vijay
I got it covered.

Well said and guys who are planning to go slow and with slower cars,
Please watch your mirrors.
Old 21st February 2010, 23:32   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Why re-invent the wheel...

Here are some invaluable tips from Psycho:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
1. Driver and Rider Eligibility:
a) Valid driver’s license
b) Min 18 year old

2. Requirements for Cars and Participants:
a) Roll bars are required for all open (convertible) cars (including those with removable hardtops). Roll bars MUST extend above occupants helmets.
b) Factory mounted three-point restraint systems are acceptable.Two point systems must be upgraded to five points.
c) Helmets are required and shall be a ISI Approved or better. Helmets will be inspected as part of the tech inspection and worn or distressed helmets will not be allowed.
d) Full face helmets with a shield are required for convertibles and open wheelers.
f) Full length pants mandatory (cotton pants and shirts preferred).
g) Every car must pass a tech inspection and be given a number before being allowed on the track. Before entering the inspection area, you should: check in and obtain an inspection form, check seatbelts, have your helmet, remove any and all items from the passenger compartment (including glove box) and trunk (including jack and spare tire), remove wheel covers or beauty rings and check wheel nuts or bolts for proper torque. Tires should have sufficient tread to grip on a wet track (3/32) and should be inflated to the upper range of the pressure listed on the sidewalls. Check wheel bearings for any excessive play and inspect brake pads and/or shoes for adequate thickness. Make sure that brake lights are functional. Check the engine compartment for any weak or damaged belts or hoses, and any leaking fluids. Top off your brake fluid, coolant and oil and make sure your battery is securely mounted.Remember that you will not be allowed on the track if your car is not judged safe by the tech inspectors. It is your responsibility to prepare your car properly before entering tech.
h) Every driver must attend the mandatory driver’s meeting prior to the first session.

3.Track Protocol:
a) Everyone who enters the track must sign a waiver.
b) All persons (Driver and 1 passenger maximum) in the car on the track must use helmets and seatbelts.
c) No alcohol or mind-altering drugs are permitted at PIR.
d) No open wheel cars unless permitted by the organiser and should be driven seperately from the normal cars on track.
e) No wheel to wheel racing permitted. Corner workers / Other Drivers are the judges.
f) No hot pit runs. 20 KmPH maximum in the pits unless otherwise directed.
g) Before entering the pits, signal with hand straight up. Signal early if a car is close behind.
h) Watch your mirrors! All passing must be on drivers right of car being overtaken. If you are fast in the straight but holding cars up in the corners, be courteous and stay left and let others pass.
i) Passing Zones: Straights only. All passing must be on drivers right of the car being overtaken. Passing must be completed before the turn at the end of either straightway. Actual beginning and end point will be advised during the drivers meeting and can be marked by cones on the side of the track.

4. Track Flags and Their Meaning:
a) GREEN, Go, track is clear. Also indicates the start of an event.
b) RED, STOP safely and immediately! Pull over and wait for further instructions.
c) YELLOW, WAVING, Be prepared to stop, No Passing,Warns of debris on the track. Use caution and keep your eye out for debris or fluids.
d) YELLOW, STATIONARY, Proceed with caution. No Passing.
e) CHECKERED, End of the Event or Session.
h) BLACK, Warning, you broke a rule or drove unsafely.
i) BLACK, Waving, Reduce speed and return to the pits. You broke a rule or drove unsafely and need to speak with a safety official at the entrance onto the track.

Note: This list has been derived from the earlier one and a couple of other American Trackday rules.
Quote:
1) FWD if you are about to spin out accelerate and point the wheels in the desired direction you would like to go
2) RWD Lift off in case of a spin
3) If you have a problem pull over to the side of the track at 10ft from the road
4) Do not cross the track at any given point
5) Overtaking: Signal intention by flashing headlights, Allow by showing right turn indicator and stay on the left shoulder
6) In case of a major spin let go of the steering and accelerator and let the car come to a complete stop on its own.
7) Make sure the tyres show treads if they start showing the Nyloon please come into the pits and replace them
8) Check your car before going on track
9) Carry water, coolant, oil and a air pump if possible
10) Be responsible not just for yourself but for all around you.
Quote:
  • Drive as smoothly as possible
  • First few laps gradually build up speed use the third gear if possible to learn the lines correctly
  • Brake and downshift before a turn
  • Accelerate as you start coming out of a turn helps preserve your tyres longer
  • Your car is going to be working close to the redline keep a close eye on the water temp, it will be your first indicator if something is going wrong
  • Keep a lookout for fellow drivers in the rear view mirror and allow them to pass on the straights by using your right indicator
  • In case you see someone loosing control ahead of you apply brakes and stop smoothly while moving to the side of the track
  • In case of an Accident stop next to the spot with your vehicle off the track, call the organiser to inform him so that he can clear the track immediately send assistance over.
Guys feel free to add if I have missed anything here.
Taken from <HERE>

Cheers!
Goutham
Old 22nd February 2010, 01:15   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Is that Clear - Or do you want me to be more explicit??
With all due respect, lines are not the only concern in a track day.

Quote:
Why re-invent the wheel...
Here are some invaluable tips from Psycho:
Thank you for that list, Venom, quite comprehensive.

Quick question, the passing on the right, does that rule still hold good for us since they were taken from American track day rules? Or does it become overtaking from the left since we are in RHD vehicles?

Also, what's the view on taping up brake lights and other breakable plastics on the vehicle's exterior?

Last edited by GreaseMonk : 22nd February 2010 at 01:25.
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:05   #128
BHPian

What sort of things are a must carry ? Brake fluids, coolants ??
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:55   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post
What sort of things are a must carry ? Brake fluids, coolants ??
Loads of water too ... For car and Driver Alike.
Ensure optimum tyre pressure.
Get rid of all the dead weight that would move around in the car
- Spare Wheel
- ICE - those monstrous woofers to be specific
- Movable components in the cabin like water bottles, boxes, nuclear warheads, alien space ships, lab rats etc.
Keep your windows rolled up.
Have functional mirrors
Wear gloves if you got sweaty palms
and remember to fasten your wheel nuts

Last edited by petrol_head : 22nd February 2010 at 10:59.
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:56   #130
BHPian

Quote:
With all due respect, lines are not the only concern in a track day.
Yes true, but most folks just use the wrong line even if some guy who is faster is behind you essentially "blocking" him even if he is trying to let him pass.

Quote:
Quick question, the passing on the right, does that rule still hold good for us since they were taken from American track day rules? Or does it become overtaking from the left since we are in RHD vehicles?
Yes this should be ok, I guess this is not a rule but my personal view.
After all we are racing, lifting off for a sec will let the guy behind you pass just a bit easier. We do watch our RHS mirror more don't we ?

Quote:
Also, what's the view on taping up brake lights and other breakable plastics on the vehicle's exterior?
Well I've been told this is to prevent glass/plastic from the lights being left "on-track" in the unfortunate event of anyone having a shunt. Most of us who have seen F1 knows how debris can impact the outcome of a race.
I'm not trying to compare our track day with F1 .

But you guys get the pic, don't you ?

EDIT:

Quote:
Loads of water too ... For car and Driver Alike.
Ensure optimum tyre pressure.
Get rid of all the dead weight that would move around in the car
- Spare Wheel
- ICE - those monstrous woofers to be specific
- Movable components in the cabin like water bottles, boxes, nuclear warheads, alien space ships, lab rats etc.
Keep your windows rolled up.
Wear gloves if you got sweaty palms
and remember to fasten your wheel nuts
+ a first aid kit and some extra band-aid to tape the mouths of "jokers"

Last edited by yzfrj : 22nd February 2010 at 10:59.
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:01   #131
BHPian

Pardon my ignorace:

but what is the difference between driving fast on the highways and on the tracks.

With the same stock car the potential is going to be the same right. Will the driving be more harsh/rough on the tracks by the track drivers, why is there so much emphasis on vehicle maintenance especially on the tracks.

Say for example, if somebody does 140 on his baleno in highway, with the same car and in the same condition, cant he go on the tracks. track or not, shouldn't the vehicles condition be good for high speeds.
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:05   #132
Senior - BHPian

Is the date confirmed please? I read about some other engagement on the track the same day. What time will you guys arrive?
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:13   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
Pardon my ignorace:

but what is the difference between driving fast on the highways and on the tracks.

With the same stock car the potential is going to be the same right. Will the driving be more harsh/rough on the tracks by the track drivers, why is there so much emphasis on vehicle maintenance especially on the tracks.

Say for example, if somebody does 140 on his baleno in highway, with the same car and in the same condition, cant he go on the tracks. track or not, shouldn't the vehicles condition be good for high speeds.
In Highways you Cruise, In Tracks you Race

In Highway, You always Cruise 'within' time but in Tracks, you Race 'against' time

Racing in a highway is not advisable, so is cruising in a race Track

I hope i have confused you effectivley.
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:22   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Yes true, but most folks just use the wrong line even if some guy who is faster is behind you essentially "blocking" him even if he is trying to let him pass.
Understood. So the driver being overtaken should remain on the racing line and it's the overtaking vehicle's responsibility to navigate around them.

Quote:
Yes this should be ok, I guess this is not a rule but my personal view.
All track day rules are essentially personal views. As long as we all share them or at least agree upon them, we can have a safe and enjoyable track day.
Quote:
We do watch our RHS mirror more don't we ?
Makes sense.
Thanks for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post

On the highway, one tends to get to their cruising speed in a much more relaxed manner. On the track you are always or are attempting to red-line each gear. It is likely a 140 on the track would be in 4th\3rd gear while on the highway, one would be doing it in 5th. Much more relaxed on the engine.

Also, due to turns, the engine is constantly slowing down and speeding up, a lot more engine braking is performed as well.

Even regular brakes take a beating since they are constantly being used and rather aggressively at that.

Finally, turns are taken much faster and are sharper than on the highways. This puts stress on the chassis and suspension over a highway ride.
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:22   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Ikoneer -- It's simple.

On a highway, you may touch very high top speeds. In all probability, you cant do that on the track. However, on the track, you will brake harder, accelerate harder, turn harder and basically stress your engine, brakes, tyres, suspension and yourself to the limit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks