Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2010, 16:07   #1

Ss01 – What It’s Like To Build One

My ultimate goal was to make a youthful, cheerful vehicle desirable to drive with lots of connect to modern, lifestyles, while also being practical, use able and cost effective.

This car SSo1 frame was built completely of reinforced steel tubes of different grades A & B to withstand the impacts during crashes keeping in mind the design criteria of making it accessible to move in and out the car.

The gasoline engine has a swept volume of 796(cc)and 3 cylinder inline, 2 valves per cylinder giving an Max power(b hp @ rpm)37 @ 5000 and max torque(Nm @ rpm)59 @ 2500. It is manual transmission synchromesh with 4 forward and 1 reverse gear. This car was fully hand built and weight 400 kilos.

To keep it economical, the parts procured are from scrap yards that account to 60%. The vehicle frame was gas welded taking in account the amount of cast iron used too. The car has monocoque frame structure with no outer body exposing the whole mechanism of the vehicle keeping it live. An overall length of 2540mm, width 1803mm, height 1168mm and the wheel base is 1816 mm and a track width of 1606 mm makes it look compact and drivable.

The suspensions are designed in such a way to cater the rough and tough roads in India with coil spring oil filled shock absorbers. The car has a ground clearance of 460 mm with the center of gravity placed low making the vehicle perform outright throughout the corners and bends. The SSo1 tops speed upto 120 k mph and comes to halt within a considerable distance with its front and rear disc brakes.

The design of the car was inspired from the Ariel Atom and was built over a compact platform. The frame is cherry red powder coated and the shock absorber is lime yellow coated making it simple and lively. The air induction to the engine is sucked in through a K&N filter fitted firmly over the engines head. The fuel tank holds up 12 litres of fuel which makes the vehicle roll around 350 km on the stretch.

This project was solely taken up by me and was designed, fabricated and tested over a span of 6 - 7 months. Though the use of advanced technology was minimized with much of mechanical overshadowing this car interests. I have decided to design and fabricate my next car SSo2 with more of electronics, vehicle dynamics and aerodynamics.

This was showcased in an school of engineering back in my place and i believe it has inspired many more budding engineers to come out with their ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Ss01 – What It’s Like To Build One-sso1.jpg  

Ss01 – What It’s Like To Build One-initial-stage-frame.jpg  

Ss01 – What It’s Like To Build One-left-suspension-upright.jpg  

Ss01 – What It’s Like To Build One-engine-placed.jpg  

Ss01 – What It’s Like To Build One-front-suspension-setup.jpg  

Ss01 – What It’s Like To Build One-side-view.jpg  

Ss01 – What It’s Like To Build One-rear-engined.jpg  

Ss01 – What It’s Like To Build One-wheel-hub-setup.jpg  

Ss01 – What It’s Like To Build One-top-view.jpg  

Ss01 – What It’s Like To Build One-vrooommmmmmm.......jpg  

Old 10th May 2010, 10:42   #2
BHPian

@sing1234,

Amazing job i must say. The design concept is good. Would love to try it out on a dirt track.

One question, is it predominantly for dirt track racing?
Then few pointers from my side:

1. You mentioned the car's ground clearance as 460mm . i think you meant160 mm, which is fair enough, but have you installed an engine sump gaurd? Cause the lose pebbels being thrown up from the wheels will damage the engine.

2. The seat you have in place is quite heavy in comparison to a racing shell seat, say from Sparco, Recaro or OMP. Also the seat belt used is nowhere close to being considered safe for an open top car. Atleast a 4 point racing harness needs to be used.

3. The K&N filter will be covered in dust within not much distance of dirt track use, so its basic capability of good airflow will be lost. Even it doesnt have the filtering capabilities of a stock air filter, so in a dust covered environment its a waste. Either get a good piping system done to draw air from beyond the front wheels or above the drivers head.

4. The rear suspension strut top mounts will bend as they do not have any support. A quick solution will be to install a top mounted strut brace. Will avoid the flex.

Otherwise keep up the good job. We are eagerly waiting for SSo2.

Last edited by NOS Power : 10th May 2010 at 10:44. Reason: 3 smiley's used
Old 10th May 2010, 10:51   #3
BANNED

Very very well built!! Congrats mate! Brilliant design and execution!
Old 10th May 2010, 10:59   #4
BHPian

Wow!, this is fantastic, how much did th whole thing cost in total, I definietely want to own something like this, but with 2 seats so that a co-passanger can fit in.
Old 10th May 2010, 12:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant & I appreciate your efforts & the outcome. Did you do this single handed or as a team work?

Quote:
The gasoline engine has a swept volume of 796(cc)and 3 cylinder inline, 2 valves per cylinder giving an Max power(b hp @ rpm)37 @ 5000 and max torque(Nm @ rpm)59 @ 2500. It is manual transmission synchromesh with 4 forward and 1 reverse gear.
I hope this was M800's engine

Quote:
The fuel tank holds up 12 litres of fuel which makes the vehicle roll around 350 km on the stretch.
Are you saying the FE is 29 Kmpl? And any specific engineering trade off to restrict the gas tank to 12 lts?

Is this made a part of Baja project or some competition? Whatever be it, I like the outcome.
Old 10th May 2010, 12:06   #6
BANNED

A small suggestion, for the SS02 use TIG/MIG welding.
Old 10th May 2010, 15:16   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
A small suggestion, for the SS02 use TIG/MIG welding.
@Sankar, are you talking about the whole thing being TIG welded from scratch or TIG welding over the normal gas spot welds?

What are the benefits if TIG welding is done from scratch?

One more question to everyone.

Is it legal to drive these prototype vehicles on the streets? I mean what about registration and other RTO issues?

Last edited by NOS Power : 10th May 2010 at 15:18.
Old 10th May 2010, 16:38   #8
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Looks supercool!

I too would love to make one for myself when I have enough time and money to go about it.

By the way what was the total cost?

By the way is it difficult for you to get in and out of that car? The side tubes look a bit too high according to me.
Old 10th May 2010, 16:45   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
@Sankar, are you talking about the whole thing being TIG welded from scratch or TIG welding over the normal gas spot welds?
I mean TIG welding the whole thing when he builds his next car. TIG/MIG welds are stronger, regular gas welding should not be used for any serious chassis fabrication.
Old 10th May 2010, 17:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

460 mm??? That does not look right, from the pictures. Also, I agree that GAS Welding is not as strong. Why not plonk a bigger engine? Also, I am not too sure about the driving position. Doesn't look to be properly aligned.

But, overall, 9/10 for the effort, patience, and innovation. "I" can safely say, that "We" are looking forward to your next project. All the best!
Old 10th May 2010, 17:47   #11
KMT
BHPian

Hats off to you guys, this is something that many of us on this forum secretly dream about. Looks really good.
Can it be road registered?
Old 10th May 2010, 17:53   #12
BHPian

Amazing effort man! The project looks super and yes, solid feedback will mean ss02 will be even better!

Is there a radiator up front or is that simply body design?

With a 1.6 Fiesta engine with basic tune ups, you can get close to 120 bhp and in your 400 kilo frame, i'd reckon you can get close to 200-250 bhp/ton

Is there any camber in any of the wheels or are they all aligned to zero camber angle?

Once again, brilliant efort

Viva ss02
Old 11th May 2010, 15:47   #13
Team-BHP Support

SUPERB job, man!

Its really impressive that you did all of that by yourself, that too in 6-7 months!!

How is it to drive??
What are the best things about your end product and whats the worst?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sing1234 View Post
...I have decided to design and fabricate my next car SSo2 with more of electronics, vehicle dynamics and aerodynamics...
Sweet. What engine do you plan to use, and what "electronics" ? Anything fancy?

If i were you, i'm not sure i'd concentrate on aerodynamics much for ss02.... maybe leave that for ss03

cya
R
Old 11th May 2010, 21:45   #14

@NOS Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
@sing1234,

Amazing job i must say. The design concept is good. Would love to try it out on a dirt track.

One question, is it predominantly for dirt track racing?
Then few pointers from my side:

1. You mentioned the car's ground clearance as 460mm . i think you meant160 mm, which is fair enough, but have you installed an engine sump gaurd? Cause the lose pebbels being thrown up from the wheels will damage the engine.

2. The seat you have in place is quite heavy in comparison to a racing shell seat, say from Sparco, Recaro or OMP. Also the seat belt used is nowhere close to being considered safe for an open top car. Atleast a 4 point racing harness needs to be used.

3. The K&N filter will be covered in dust within not much distance of dirt track use, so its basic capability of good airflow will be lost. Even it doesnt have the filtering capabilities of a stock air filter, so in a dust covered environment its a waste. Either get a good piping system done to draw air from beyond the front wheels or above the drivers head.

4. The rear suspension strut top mounts will bend as they do not have any support. A quick solution will be to install a top mounted strut brace. Will avoid the flex.

Otherwise keep up the good job. We are eagerly waiting for SSo2.
Hi

thanks a lot for your comments mate....i believe always ones passions and his work would always be appreciated.. in reply to your pointer
want to make it clear as it is not a dirt track vehicle and i have been testing it only on flat roads and so designed only for this purpose
1. ground clearance is 160mm instead of 460mm..... just mistyped. so i am not worried about the engine getting damaged due to pebbles.
2. could have used a racing seat but due to cost constraints i had to move with was made available. but i would like to put something more safer sometime soon....
3. while used on flat roads....the filters do a excellent job. though i thought of other possibilities of air flow from the front... looked more complicated.
4.yeah i do agree but, at the moment its fine and will be doing the alternative setup to avoid the flex..
will keep u posted mate......
Old 11th May 2010, 21:55   #15

hi guys.... thanks for all your comments ......
its taken me around 6-7 months to do this and all that time taken is all paying off now... after seeing you guys appreciate me with your comments. It s not road legal....for now its an M800 engine and the fuel tank was restricted to 12 litres as due to space constraints. would like to hear more from you all.

Most Viewed