Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2010, 14:43   #1
BHPian

Polo Cup India 2010- 30th May Pune-Any Bhpians as drivers or attending

Below is the press release of the announcement, good opportunity for Bhpians to gang up, have a meet, enjoy the race and have some fun.

I am coming on Friday night from Mumbai.

Any of the Bhpians selected as race drivers?

PUNE: Volkswagen India will flag-off of the first ever Polo Cup India 2010 with the first race of the season to be held on 30 May at the Shri Shiv Chhatrapati Sports Complex, Balewadi in Pune. 20 drivers will compete in a series of six races held between May and December.

The final 20 were selected from more than 1,100 registrations received for what is the first single-make manufacturer-backed series in India.

"Volkswagen India is happy and proud to announce the final 20 aspiring racers who have been short listed for the first-ever Polo Cup India 2010. These final drivers represent the best raw talent the country has to offer. Polo Cup is the boost that the young drivers in India deserve and have been waiting for. We are thrilled as this is the first year of Polo Cup in India and we are really convinced that this first single-make manufacturer-backed series in India will become a new milestone in the success story of Volkswagen India”, said Joerg Mueller, president and managing director, Volkswagen India Private Limited Wednesday at a media briefing at the race track at Balewadi Sports Complex.

The Polo Cup India 2010 is part of the JK Tyre-FMSCI Indian National Racing Championship 2010. The 20 selected drivers will compete in six races across the country, the first in Pune, and then followed by five races on the race courses in Coimbatore and Chennai.

Incidentally, the Pune race will be the first major four-wheeler racing event to be held in the city.

The 20 short listed drivers, divided into two batches, will ‘burn rubber’ for the first time in a practice session at the circuit on Friday, 28 May. Saturday, 29 May will witness a Free Practice session for the drivers followed by the Qualifiers. The fastest laps in the Qualifiers will determine the starting grid for the races to be held on Race Day, 30 May.

Spectators will get a chance to see the final line up of the drivers in the drivers’ parade, marking the start of Race Day. This will be followed by two race sessions of 20 laps each. The final podium standings will be announced with a prize distribution the same evening. This weekend format will be followed for all the remaining races of the Polo Cup India 2010.

Last edited by The Saint : 20th May 2010 at 14:51.
Old 20th May 2010, 14:47   #2
BHPian

the sad part was that there was an age limit for the drivers, only those between 18 - 24 could apply.
Old 20th May 2010, 14:50   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
the sad part was that there was an age limit for the drivers, only those between 18 - 24 could apply.
I agree, sometimes I think if I was born 10 years later, so many things/opportunities if you are young
Old 21st May 2010, 02:23   #4
BHPian

From what the pre-polo release news from VW, Polo cup is supposed to feature 1.6 version of Polo. Any news on that. Or are these contestants going to be racing with the 1.2 version. That is going to be like watching a bunch of M800 going in circles.
Old 21st May 2010, 02:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

I had gotten a call to appear for the karting qualifying at Kolhapur, but when I found out that I will have to pay a fee of 2+ lakhs if selected and there were pro drivers in attendance I humbly backed out.
Old 21st May 2010, 03:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

^^ Same as above. Applied and got in, but backed out due to the 2.4L fee.
Old 21st May 2010, 04:17   #7
BHPian

Pune BHPian Shrivz has been selected in the reserve category (i.e drivers who qualified between 20 and 25).
He might end up racing if someone else backs out because of sponsorship/fee issues or any other reason.
He didn't mention any other bhpians being there.
All the best if he does!

Note from Mod: Please continue the discussion over on this thread

Last edited by GTO : 22nd May 2010 at 15:37. Reason: Adding thread closure note
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks