Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2010, 17:09   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
The fee is 40,000 per race - so that works out to 2.4 lakhs to participate in the 6 races.
Also, contingency funds are required for damage repair (i.e if the driver is involved in a shunt during a race, he pays for the spare parts, which VW will provide at subsidised rates)
While VW is taking care of accommodation, participants need to make their own travel arrangements.

Overall costs would probably work out to roughly 3 lakhs.
The Rs. 40,000 per race is super cheap when it comes to racing.

The tops racers in karting easily spend upwards of 7-8 lakhs a season in India.

So, 2.4L for this is very cheap.

Also, VW does not make accomodation arrangements, they do block rooms at cheaper rates, but we have to pay.

I would like to post a review of the car, but have to study for upcoming exams (the polo cup has thrown my study schedule out of the window, not that i am complaining )

For now, have fun with a few pictures
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo Cup India : The Driver lineup announced!-dsc_0560.jpg  

VW Polo Cup India : The Driver lineup announced!-dsc_0561.jpg  

VW Polo Cup India : The Driver lineup announced!-dsc_0574.jpg  

VW Polo Cup India : The Driver lineup announced!-dsc_0626.jpg  

VW Polo Cup India : The Driver lineup announced!-dsc_0680.jpg  

VW Polo Cup India : The Driver lineup announced!-dsc_0690.jpg  

VW Polo Cup India : The Driver lineup announced!-dsc_0695.jpg  

VW Polo Cup India : The Driver lineup announced!-dsc_0723.jpg  

VW Polo Cup India : The Driver lineup announced!-dsc_0767.jpg  

VW Polo Cup India : The Driver lineup announced!-dsc_0784.jpg  

VW Polo Cup India : The Driver lineup announced!-dsc_0807.jpg  

Old 22nd May 2010, 17:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics! So how was the drive of the 1.6?
I was also selected for the first round but I backed out later because the races coincided with my exam schedule

@jalsa- have you met Sahil Shellar who's also a participant? He's a good friend of mine.

Last edited by theragingbull : 22nd May 2010 at 17:53.
Old 22nd May 2010, 18:26   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Nice pics! So how was the drive of the 1.6?
I was also selected for the first round but I backed out later because the races coincided with my exam schedule

@jalsa- have you met Sahil Shellar who's also a participant? He's a good friend of mine.
yeah bro, sahil is one of the 20 drivers
Old 27th May 2010, 11:10   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Some more info about the 11 drivers from Mumbai, Pune & Kolhapur.

Quote:
Parth Ghorpade, a 17 year old student from Kolhapur enjoys swimming, playing squash, has won the 2009 and 2008 championships in the juniors class in the JK Tyre National Rotax Max Karting Championship. Also, finished fifth overall in the Central European Zone Karting championship.

The 3 drivers from Pune city are:

Sahil Shelar, a 21 year old student from Pune who has secured a scholarship for the Formula BMW Asia in 2009, is a passionate gamer, also loves working out and playing football.

Samyak Shah, who has just turned 18, is also a student from Pune, whose favorite sport is Cricket, however he likes sky diving and playing football. He has finished second overall in the junior lass in the JK Tyre National Rotax Max Karting Championship in 2008.

Oshan Kothadiya, a 21 year old from Mumbai is also a Rookie, enjoys playing lawn tennis and table tennis. His motor sports idol is Sebastian Vettel.

The 7 drivers from Mumbai are:

Ameya Bafna, a 16-year old student from Mumbai, who is the youngest amongst the drivers, is also an avid football lover. He has recently won the junior class championship in the JK Tyre Rookies Cup in 2010. His motor sports idol is Michael Schumacher.

Mohammad Fahadkutty, a 21 year old from Mumbai who is currently a modifier of Cars has been racing since 2006. He has been participating in the Drag Race from 2006 till date. Also stood first place in super saloon MRF Challenge in 2010 and stood 2nd in MRF Challenge in 2010.

Mohit Ahuja, a 17 year old student from Mumbai, who enjoys playing snooker and football, has won a scholarship for the Formula BMW Asia championship in 2009. Also, finished third in the seniors class in the JK Tyre National Rotax Max Karting Championship in 2009

Gurniaz Mann, a 22 year old student from Mumbai who is also a rookie, enjoys boxing and sky diving. His motor sports idol is Ayrton Senna

Munjal Savla, another 21 year old student from Mumbai likes studying various engineering designs in his free time. He is also a Billiards player.

Saurav Bandopadhyay, a 20 year old student from Mumbai practices Karate, has finished second in seniors class in the JK Tyre Rookies Cup in 2010. His motor sports idol is Fernando Alonso.

Imran Majid, a 21 year driver from Mumbai is a travel agent by profession. He enjoys adventure sports and also likes listening to music. He has participated in several Drag races and his motor sports idol is Ken Block.

Motor sports enthusiasts interested in getting further information can log on to the website, Volkswagen Polo Cup India. This website will display information about the format of the Polo Cup India, race updates and driver profiles.
Old 30th May 2010, 01:42   #20
BHPian

Just saw this thread.

Thank you all for the kind words. The polocup is a fantastic platform to start a career in motorsport!

The cup cars are simply superb!
Their data logging system is extremely helpful in understanding one's mistakes and improving lap times.

I had a fantastic experience in coimbatore for the selection process. It was my first time on a race track and those were the best four days of my life!

I'm looking forward to participating as a guest driver for a race or two this season. The fees for which are Rs. 60,000/- per race weekend. Plus a provision needs to be kept for damage repair.
I'm looking to raise this money through sponsorship.

Catch the race live on Neo Sports 11.30am onwards.

Last edited by shrivz : 30th May 2010 at 01:55.
Old 30th May 2010, 07:00   #21
BHPian

HI GTO,
"Ameya Bafna, a 16-year old student from Mumbai, "
"Mohit Ahuja, a 17 year old student from Mumbai, "

doesn't that defies our driving age limit?
Old 30th May 2010, 10:04   #22
BHPian

I think these drivers get racing licenses that are valid for racing on an enclosed track only.
Old 30th May 2010, 13:20   #23

A racing license age limit in India is 12 years i guess...(license's are graded according to what level you race at)

3 years ago MAI was the motor sports governing body..now is FMSCI !

Done some karting...so know some of these guys !

Some of these guys i know are incredibly talented !
Old 30th May 2010, 13:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

It was an amazing first race at Pune!! Sailesh Bolisetti won the race. An amazing drive by Fahad Kutty as well, especially when he hit the tyre barrier at one of the turns and was literally driving on 2 wheels for a few seconds!! He lost the front bumper and even after all that, he came 3rd!
Old 30th May 2010, 15:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Shrivz & Jalsa, its a one in a lifetime experience in our country for motorsports! Make the most of it!
Old 30th May 2010, 20:57   #26
BHPian

Congratulations to Shrivz and all the other MH12 enthusiasts who have gotten selected. It is one of a kind experience and would be a real treat for us too, to watch it alteast on the T.V., however missed it seeing live today in Pune.
Old 30th May 2010, 21:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

Congrats !

Surprised to see nobody from Bangalore!!!
Old 30th May 2010, 22:05   #28
BHPian

I caught the second race for the day on Neo Sports. It was a stupid move by Prasad (running 4th at the time) on Saran Vikram at Turn 7 (or 9, not sure) which took both of them out. Shailesh was the star of the day. Other than that, it was a pretty uneventful race (the narrow track didn't help, overtaking opportunities were hardly there). Whose car was it which almost flipped right at the end?

for VW! Hope this is just the start. Do they have an event up north?

Last edited by nkapoor777 : 30th May 2010 at 22:07.
Old 31st May 2010, 16:44   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
Whose car was it which almost flipped right at the end?

for VW! Hope this is just the start. Do they have an event up north?
samyak shah, he had a punctured tyre.

No race up north
Old 31st May 2010, 19:03   #30
BHPian

what a day! had a fantastic experience watching the karts and the polos race, it was my first that i saw an official race.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks