Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2010, 15:18   #16
Team-BHP Support

Man those polos look really sweet!

Kudos to VW for making this happen. Its quite a treat to see all the cars in their livery on an Indian street circuit!

Two questions for now :
1) How did the diesels sound?
2) @ techno / sideways - what was protecting the crowds? barriers? runoff area etc? (asking coz of the first pic in the press release)

cya
R
Old 31st May 2010, 15:41   #17
BHPian

The POLO's look awesome, what tyres were they running ? can't imagine JK tyres ???

what's the scene with spectators, only invites or can we buy tickets ? will CBE leg sell tickets as well ?

waiting for the reports and results. Thanks
Old 31st May 2010, 16:46   #18
BHPian

They run on JK slicks.

Hey, nice pics technocrat. That red no.4 car in the pit lane was mine !!
Old 31st May 2010, 17:23   #19
Team-BHP Support

I couldn't make it for the race since I was travelling. A friend visited the place and shared some pictures here.

There are a few videos of flying polo's etc too.

@Rehaan, crowd management was a problem. People were a feet or two away from the track. You could see it in those videos too.
Old 1st June 2010, 02:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Superb report Techno. And supported by awesome pictures too. The Polo Cup cars look really good. I especially flipped on those multispoke alloys. Now if only VW offered them as an option on the regular Polos . Those seem to be fast diesels there. Alisha seems to be the only female competitor?

Seeing these kind of events happening, we really need a professional track. Fantastic initiative by VW. Indian Motosport moves a step ahead.
Old 1st June 2010, 09:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

mmmm, so now I can understand why Polo's priced above other comparable cars!

That seems to be a big expenditure and a considerable overhead given VW total sales in India!!

But yes, good brand building exercise!
Old 1st June 2010, 09:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Wow. What an exhaustive report. Thanks for sharing. Must have been a highly charged environment.

Wonder why the headlights are still on the race cars? Normally they are either removed or heavily taped to avoid debris on the track. Nevertheless, looks like it was a lot of fun.
Old 1st June 2010, 10:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Awesome report Techno!! Nice pics.

btw, Fahad kutty had been disqualified later. The 4th pace is now 3rd and so on.
Old 1st June 2010, 10:09   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post
The POLO's look awesome, what tyres were they running ? can't imagine JK tyres ???
JK slicks : picture

Though i did notice the car on display had DUNLOPs on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
...That red no.4 car in the pit lane was mine !!
Jalsa777,

Congrats on being one of the drivers man. Truly looks like an AWESOME experience, and i am very jealous!

How about a few lines on the car + race from your POV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Wonder why the headlights are still on the race cars? Normally they are either removed or heavily taped to avoid debris on the track. Nevertheless, looks like it was a lot of fun.
That made sense earlier, when headlights had glass that could shatter on impact and fall over the track -- but these days all headlights are plastic, so i don't think this is still a requirement.

Once again - great to see an event like this!!

cya
R
Old 1st June 2010, 10:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

crowd management: One problem that I felt was sitting arrangement.
VIP area (Blue passes) had chairs on steps & that guaranteed every person had decent view of race track.
Public area(Brown passes) has just a platform at two places & that meant everyone moved towards barriers in order to get a view. Security guards tried to persuade people to move back before the race, but everyone rushed towards barriers once race got started.

Don't understand why VW chose to give free passes to general public. It could be part of their branding strategy. But, how many from general public were really interested in racing. And those who were really interested might have got disappointed.
Old 1st June 2010, 12:59   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
crowd management: One problem that I felt was sitting arrangement.
VIP area (Blue passes) had chairs on steps & that guaranteed every person had decent view of race track.
Public area(Brown passes) has just a platform at two places & that meant everyone moved towards barriers in order to get a view. Security guards tried to persuade people to move back before the race, but everyone rushed towards barriers once race got started.

Don't understand why VW chose to give free passes to general public. It could be part of their branding strategy. But, how many from general public were really interested in racing. And those who were really interested might have got disappointed.
It was really disappointing race for me. I was having Brown pass (got it from Showroom). I couldn't watch race properly. I could see only one race when there were only 3 cars on the track. Public was making fun of drivers, management n every other thing over there. Proper announcements about races and timings were never made on speakers. All the action was there only for the first race. After that, it was complete mess for brown pass people.

I was ready to pay for the race with better view and excitement. Volkswagen should have announced about blue passes or tickets with better view of the race.

Very disappointed with the management of the Volkswagen. It was not expected from them.
Old 1st June 2010, 13:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

@Rehaan - See the pics that I added later, you will see what was holding/protecting the Public. I must say the marshals were doinga great job & they faced lot of problems getting people stand a bit far from track.

@2theMax - Thanks, The full report has been updated, yes they were running on JK slicks

@jalsa777 - Thanks & its because of you guys that we got to see such a great race, would it be possible for you to list down the car numbers against the drivers that I have listed on first page? And also as Rehaan said, post things from the driver's perspective, Thanks

@moralfibre - Kiran, I saw the marshals feeling helpless as people used to come back to same place after they were asked to move away for safety reasons.

@Dippy - Thanks man, it was indeed loads of fun, heck the initial plan was to catch the first race, attend media briefing & leave but after the first race there was no chance that I was leaving early :P I am really happy with my point & shoot camera. Now if only the HD videos could upload without trouble

@phamilyman - So as per you The high pricing of Polo is because VW is conducting this event? You really serious about this? And how can this event be an Overhead for a company like VW?

@n_aditya - Thanks, yes it was indeed an high enery event which left us fully drained once it was over

@sukiwa - I think they gave free passes so that more people can see the Polo's & know about VW.

@nikhil.kumbhar - Sad to know that it wasnt well manged at the brown pass areas & that you were not able to enjoy much but yes there were lot of people on brown pass which I frankly didnt expect as they had announced this only a day before.

I have more specs on the car which I will share in sometime
Old 1st June 2010, 13:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

The Polos look fantastic with that subtle body kit,fat low pro rubber with gorgeous multi-spoke rims and a lowered,stiffened suspension set-up! Especially the white one with Euro-spec head lamps!

Nice report Technocrat!
Old 1st June 2010, 16:11   #29
BHPian

Way to go Techno! Lovely reporting! Really detailed pics.
Old 1st June 2010, 18:05   #30
BHPian

Excellent reporting, glad to see so many POLOs together

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks